Skip to main content
Topic: Low cost way to check campground wiring (Read 213 times) previous topic - next topic
Low cost way to check campground wiring
I thought this might be a good idea, even if you have a more expensive surge suppressor, I’m going to try this first. It’s a 30 amp to 110 volt converter plug, and an outlet tester you can buy at HD.
Nov 2023, 2012 31’ IB, white/green swoops & swirles, 2009 Mini Cooper, racing green convertible, toad 🐸

We ordered white/gray  2018 27' mid bath 1/3/18 and we are hoping for a July 16th 2019 delivery, sold, and tried a Lithium Travato, wish  I would have kept the Lazy Daze 27’

Re: Low cost way to check campground wiring
Reply #1
I am curious now - what are some of the major problems with power at campgrounds?
Chet in Yorktown, Virginia

Reply #2
Chet - surges is what I've picked...and why a surge protector should be on your "buy list"

Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #3
"what are some of the major problems with power at campgrounds?"

In my experience, number one is low voltage (especially in summer, when many air conditioners are in use) and number two is miswired outlets. The inexpensive polarity checker that Clark mentioned will alert you to the second, but not the first. A Progressive Industries or SurgeGuard energy management system ("EMS") will automatically protect you from both, as well as from surges, overvoltage, and bad line frequency.

If your budget won't allow the couple of hundred dollars for an EMS, an outlet checker is better than nothing, and they're small and affordable--well worth having. Although I do have a Progressive Industries EMS, I also carry one of the units Clark mentioned for general outlet testing, both inside and outside.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4

Hi Clark. I carry the aforementioned outlet checker, with GFCI tester, and a Kil-o-watt meter. It will tell you the voltage and frequency, if the socket is wired well enough for it to operate.   Handy to monitor power draw at home or on the road. P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor - Low Temperature Alarms -...
     In suspect campgrounds you can plug in the watt meter to watch the voltage coming in to your coach. Also you can watch the frequency of your generator (engine speed).  RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
In my experience, number one is low voltage (especially in summer, when many air conditioners are in use) and number two is miswired outlets. The inexpensive polarity checker that Clark mentioned will alert you to the second, but not the first. A Progressive Industries or SurgeGuard energy management system ("EMS") will automatically protect you from both, as well as from surges, overvoltage, and bad line frequency.

A hard-wired surge protector should be standard equipment.
I like and have installed many Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protectors over the last 15 years and just about everyone has given them a thumbs up. I particularly like the remote fob that shows the voltage, amperage, cycles per second and if trouble codes are present or if it is error free.
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Once installed, the EMS-HW30C is automatic and is thief proof, unlike the portable models that need to be chained down to the power pedestal, which doesn't always prevent them from walking off..
If the surge protector element, or any other part ever burns out, after a big surge, it is user replaceable.
As Andy pointed out, low voltage, on hot afternoons, is the biggest voltage issue.
Our surge protector shut the A/C off several times, a few weeks ago, when we had an exceptionally hot afternoon, in which much of Los Angeles experienced a brown out. Voltage dropped to 100-VAC
Occasionally, the surge protector will detect a pedestal that is missing its ground or the hot and neutral wires are flipped.

A hard wired surge protector is similar to a TPMS in that it provides greater safety while eliminating another repetitive chore when driving or setting up camp.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze