Skip to main content
Topic: Rock guards - For those who toad (Read 296 times) previous topic - next topic
Rock guards - For those who toad
Hello all,

With toad preparation inevitably comes the realization that the toad is in a perilous position for rock/stone/road debris impact...a sitting duck if you will. Having had the misfortune of encountering the often seen "road gator", I know first hand how much damage can be done without protection. Granted, very little can protect from something as large as the gator, but it does give cause for question...what are the better choices for rock/stone protection?

Having conducted a search of both LDO & LDC, I've seen everything from mud flaps (a la Andrea Eagles...interesting) to hula skirts although the threads were somewhat dated (yahoo), so I thought I would ask the current collective who toad or have toad in the past;

What do you use for stone/rock protection and, when the opportunity for change occurs, what would you choose in the future?
Ray
Now doing without...

Re: Rock guards - For those who toad
Reply #1
Hello all,

With toad preparation inevitably comes the realization that the toad is in a perilous position for rock/stone/road debris impact...a sitting duck if you will. Having had the misfortune of encountering the often seen "road gator", I know first hand how much damage can be done without protection. Granted, very little can protect from something as large as the gator, but it does give cause for question...what are the better choices for rock/stone protection?

Having conducted a search of both LDO & LDC, I've seen everything from mud flaps (a la Andrea Eagles...interesting) to hula skirts although the threads were somewhat dated (yahoo), so I thought I would ask the current collective who toad or have toad in the past;

What do you use for stone/rock protection and, when the opportunity for change occurs, what would you choose in the future?
Protect-a-Tow

Nothing is perfect, but I've used this for 16 years and works for me.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
I can't share any first-hand experience but if I wanted to tow a vehicle, I would buy an older one that already has some battle scars and not worry about it.  But, that's just me!   :)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
"What do you use for stone/rock protection..."

Absolutely nothing!

I've towed a Honda Civic and a Honda CRV with my 30'IB for untold miles without the first bit of protection. No noticeable stone chip damage on either vehicle. Is it because of the 11' overhang on the 30', I know not. Perhaps with a shorter overhang things would be different.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"What do you use for stone/rock protection..."

Absolutely nothing!

I've towed a Honda Civic and a Honda CRV with my 30'IB for untold miles without the first bit of protection. No noticeable stone chip damage on either vehicle. Is it because of the 11' overhang on the 30', I know not. Perhaps with a shorter overhang things would be different.   ::)

Steve, you live a charmed life. :D  Our first vehicle was a Chevy HHR. We tried doing nothing and promptly saw some rock chips. We have used a Protect A Tow for years now and it seems to work well.

Jim

Reply #5
"Steve, you live a charmed life. :D"

Yup! That's me all over, no dirt under my nails.   8)    O:)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6

I'd suggest it depends on what someone tows.  Our current vehicle was towed by someone else and without any protection.  Thus it has a good amount of small rock dings.  It's a 2010 with 90k miles.  So at this point, what's the point.  If we were towing something new and fresh, then we find something to protect it.  If our current towed vehicle kicks the bucket before we do, then I'm sure we'd look for something older but certainly not new.

Reply #7
I have used a Roadmaster Guardian shield which attaches to the Roadmaster tow bar along with a cheap Camco windshield protector.The Rock Guard is 3 bulky, heavy duty pieces of plastic but does a good job protecting the front grill and hood. I haven't noticed any damage in 4 years of towing (but admittedly don't have great eyesight). It is on the pricy side.  I have had one cracked windshield. Not sure if anything is 100% fool proof.

Mike Liner
'08 24' FL towing '14 Subaru Forester
2008 FL

Reply #8
Like Steve, I have a 30 ft IB but I do have one of those hulaskirt fringes..but my solution was to buy  '98 Subaru that already had paint damage from hail in AZ...the mechanics are excellent and I don't have to care about nicks or dings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #9
We have towed the same Jeep for 15 years and only suffered from some sand pitting on the front edge of the hood and windshield.
A lower sitting car may suffer more.
Buy a used vehicle and don’t fixate on minor dings. Makes towing much easier and less stressful.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Another Roadmaster Guardian user here but only because it came with the used tow bar and brake setup we found on Craigslist.

We did not use anything when towing 06 Forester when new and would do the same when towing current 07 Vue if rock guard did not come with the package.

So while I would not have bought it separately I'm happy to use it and no noticeable dings yet so give it a thumbs up so far.

Storage when not on toad  is something to consider if thinking about this product.  Ours came with a carrier, normally purchased separately, for securely storing on tow bar when not on the toad which I find handy.

Rich
2006 MB

Reply #11
Yes, nothing new.
I put on mud flaps some years back. Bought sheet rubber and cut to fit. It helps a bit.
KoKo: Mud Flaps on a Mid Bath

Nothing on our Liberty. It had very little damage to the front, but lots of sand pitting on the rear wheel wells.

Put a sheet 3/8 thick of "plastic" [LPDE is light, easy to cut and drill] on the front of the Rubicon. Works great. Less than $40
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #12
I have used a Roadmaster Guardian shield which attaches to the Roadmaster tow bar along with a cheap Camco windshield protector.The Rock Guard is 3 bulky, heavy duty pieces of plastic but does a good job protecting the front grill and hood. I haven't noticed any damage in 4 years of towing (but admittedly don't have great eyesight). It is on the pricy side.  I have had one cracked windshield. Not sure if anything is 100% fool proof.

Mike Liner
'08 24' FL towing '14 Subaru Forester

We were traveling with a friend several years ago who used one of these. We both drove through an area where they were working and the road tar was a bit soft. When we got to our destination we found the back of her LD had specks of road tar almost to the roof. Took some work to get it off.

I have read of this same thing happening with rocks driving the highway to Alaska.

Jim

Reply #13
Thanks to all who have responded so far...the Protect-a-tow is certainly attractive with simplicity and ease of storage when not in use, although I feel that mud-flaps may provide protection from more substantial road hazards?

The Tow Guardian is a formidable line of defense, but too expensive for me at this point. The cheap-o Camco windshield cover is certainly gonna happen, the Jeep's windshield is a notorious rock magnet and left bare would definitely live up to its reputation.

Does anyone have any experience with the Rock Solid hitch-mounted styled flaps Rock Solid? I think if I were in a sandy state then the hula skirt would be the way to go regarding that flavor of protection.

Don do you have any pictures of the LDPE you fab'd up on the Jeep?
Ray
Now doing without...

Reply #14
People who have covered the windshield have reported that dirt that collects in the felt underside and will scratch the glass.
Glass is cheap. About $120 will replace any windshield.

My rock shield is simple. I can even drive with it on, does not move the temp gauge a bit. Looks goofy to do it tho.
I bought the material from McMaster-Carr, a fine source of lots of good stuff.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy