Skip to main content
Topic: I’m Free...I’m Free...What Pitfalls Did You Experience? (Read 334 times) previous topic - next topic
I’m Free...I’m Free...What Pitfalls Did You Experience?
I’m Free, I’m Free...

https://youtu.be/jJKjRH3OtUQ

Dang It!

Ok it’s been 3 hours since I punch out for the last time, hopefully. Already experiencing the blissful difference the world has to offer.

However...with this freedom comes the unknown. I liken it to being a kid again with a twist...no teachers to answer to and the only homework is the stuff you wish to study.

While at Home Depot on the way home from my “former” employer, I notice a few “seniors” working the isles. “Bored retiree”, I thought to myself. Inner monologue warning me to stay actively engaged at all costs.

“We’re going to miss you, Kent. Who’s going to take over your job”, several co-workers and supervisors queried. “Beats me”, I replied and off I went after shaking hands and giving heartfelt “man hugs”. Not looking back and moving forward.

I loved my job. Troubleshooting and fixing machines. It was very rewarding and I got to know and respect a ton of people.

What’s next? Any regrets? Hard to say. It’s a whole new world to me. Can’t say “Been there, done that” until I “don” my new Home Depot smock. What? No way! Not until a put at least another million miles on the Lazy Daze. Right?

See you in the trees.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: I’m Free...I’m Free...What Pitfalls Did You Experience?
Reply #1
One of my classmates graduated in the winter term and got a seasonal job with the USFS. I stopped in where she was stationed and the Topaz Lake Guard station.  She said that the strangest thing was that when she got off work, NOTHING.  No test to study for, no research paper to work on,  reading list was for pleasure only.    She said "maybe this is what retiring is like".

Joel
UCR 74 Biology.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Kent may freedom ring on and on for you while making great LD adventures. Congrats on retirement, looking forward to the day I can walk away an feel what you feel NOW! 😁
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #3
It took maybe a year for me to 'slow' down.   So much of my life was identified with 'job'.    Either I was working 'the job', learning how to do 'the job' better, or involved with others to convince the world 'the job' was important.    Frankly the hardest thing was the day I pushed all my professional journals and licenses into the trash.   

My goal after retirement was to replace the 'old' habits with 'new' habits.   I feel it took a bit of time to find the new 'me'. 

For instance instead of getting up at 5 AM  getting ready to hop a plane going someplace in the world I make coffee, open my computer, read the news, then update myself on the Lazy Daze Owners' Forum.   After that a 3 to 6 mile walk listening to assorted Podcasts.  Rest of the day doing this and that around the house, reading books, doing yard work, planning trips or working on Baxter.  <smile> Trust me I have a much fuller life then when I was working 'the job'.

The key to my  happy retirement was removing my identify to the 'job' by replacing it was a new identify called retired person. 

Added later -----  <smile> also doing my best not to become that grumpy old man yelling at the kids "get off my lawn" kind of person.

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
In a way I was lucky.  Much of my job I could not talk about, and even if I did folks would find it very boring.  I learned early on to make my off duty life about my family and hobbies (camping, automotive stuff, and photography).  This was really healthy for me as I learned to leave work at work.  When I retired I left work at work.  A little over five and a half years later I still enjoy talking to my friends who still working there but it is by phone.  I have only been back to the shop once as I was in the building to go to the credit union there.

I am not doing as much RVing as I thought I would, I am busy at home.  But I do take long trips (solo until my wife retires) as well as weekend trips several times a year.  Enough that I spend more than two months sleeping in the RV.  

I also found I have time to read, something I learned to love when I was stationed in Turkey where there was no TV and though the movies were cheep there was only the one screen and a movie would stay at the theater for a while so all the shifts would get a chance to see it.  Now I rather pick up my kindle than turn on the tube.  

We still have dogs and they have a way of keeping you occupied.  

I am also in charge of the family motorpool and kennel.  Dogs need grooming or a vet visit - I take care of that.  Same for the cars and their routine maintenance.  I did many of these thing when I was working, because working shifts it was more efficient for me to go than for Gina to take time off.  Now it is a lot easier.  Also I never go to stores on a weekend.  I can go when they are more less empty.  Weekends are for quality time with the Webber. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #5
My career was in high-tech (networking technologies that evolved into the Internet) which I thoroughly enjoyed being part of.  But I had other interests outside of work, particularly  in the natural sciences, which were not related to work.  When I retired, I was able to close the door on that part of my life and move on to new things.  Before retirement, we ordered a new LD which we picked up a few months after retirement.  We happened to join the main SoCal Lazy Daze Caravan Club which really changed our retirement life.  For 13 years and 140,000 miles, we enjoyed traveling in our LD on trips ranging from days to many months.  Wanting to see as much of the USA and Canada as possible while we still can, in 2015 we sold our house and bought our current diesel pusher and started a fulltime RV life.  One thing I recall was that it took about a year to get out of the mindset that everything was organized around each week (work days and weekends).  One thing I've heard a few times is that you can get involved in so many hobbies and activities that you wonder "how I ever had time for a job".

Art
(currently in Fairbanks, AK)
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #6
"I had other interests outside of work......which were not related to work."
----
IMO, having something to retire to, not just from, is the key.  I've known several people, men and women, who retired into a "void of ennui" or expected a spouse/partner to re-order his or her life and/or give up his/her interests, whether agreeable or not, to accommodate the other.

In my experience (and from observations of colleagues and friends), having something useful, interesting, stimulating, and fulfilling to do in one's post-job/career life goes a long way toward reducing stress and potential conflict. (Each person's and/or couple's dynamics are different, of course; YMMV, for sure!)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Congratulations Kent! Next week I celebrate three full months of retirement. I’m loving it. Given our conversation at Jalama and your clear love of life and adventure, I’d be surprised if you ever donned an orange smock.

For Jim and me, there are endless things to do around the house, the yard, Sidra, etc., but now, there is more time for walks on the beach, time in the water, adventures with friends and family, brewing beer, working on personal computer applications, reading, cooking/baking, planning our travels…

In May and June, we traveled for almost four weeks (starting less than 2 days after my retirement). We are currently planning our six-week fall trip to Yellowstone, the Tetons, and parts of Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. How fun is that? Bored? I have a hard time imagining that.

I’d love to see you again on the beach… or even in the trees.

Sue
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Reply #8
"In my experience ... having something useful, interesting, stimulating, and fulfilling to do in one's post-job/career life goes a long way toward reducing stress and potential conflict."

Had a neighbor who was a produce buyer for Safeway stores. It was his life and he was good at it. Retirement time came and he was housebound, no other interests. It wasn't three months before he went back to work for Safeway. No imagination!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Congratulations Kent!
We are about 28 - 30 miles southwest of you at Emerald Bay with a little spot of cell service. As we were walking down the beach and getting ready to return to our home afloat, we remarked that when we reach an age when we can no longer head out on adventures, we want to remember these beautiful and lows stress evenings, warm balmy nights, and sounds of the soft surf on the sand. And until then, let's all have a really fun RETIREMENT! After all those years of work that we genuinely loved, let's try to have the same number of years doing exactly what we love. Do something you enjoy every day!
Coffee and doughnuts are imminent!
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #11
I’m sure this will pass eventually, but as I sit sipping coffee, checking the forum and turning the pages in my latest Zane Grey, there is a lingering feeling of a stop sign in the back of my mind that wants to remind me to “get back to work”. Hmmm...

As my CG “rats” linger at my feet and look for snacks, I simply say “no thanks” to Home Depot Orange, take another sip and turn another page.

Enjoying the fresh air and a fine cup o’ Joe.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"