Topic: Happy Retirement, Kent! (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Happy Retirement, Kent!
Reply #1
Here's a word you can remove from your lexicon:

bored1
bôrd/
adjective
adjective: bored

feeling weary because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one's current activity.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Thanks Greg,

Yesterday I mentioned to the CEO that Friday (I’m off for the next 3 days-I love(ed) my job) would be my last day at the plant, he gleefully commented, “No one retires from Trend. We just let ‘em get rusty for a while then drag ‘em back to work”. Hah!

Glad my iPhone lets me block incoming calls.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
“No one retires from Trend. We just let ‘em get rusty for a while then drag ‘em back to work”. Hah!
Kent
I had a co-worker who was married to his job and when his retirement approached,  a pool was set up to guess when he would be back.
I saw him once after that, 6 months later in Sacramento.  He and his trailer were coming from Denali NP, and headed for Key West. 
Sorry former boss, too busy with the rig to come in........ :D
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #4
Congratulations Kent
Retirement is at the best thing, if you are prepared mentally and financially.
I saw too many folks I worked with retired and die within a handful of years due to not having a 'plan' on what they were going to do with all their newly freed time. "I'm going fishing" wasn't enough activity for most.
Manyl, with too much time on their hands, ended up on the couch every afternoon with a six-pack, watching Oprah.
It's sad to watch a good man go down.

I have only been retired 12 years, I'm still working on my 'to do' list, eventually I may get bored....maybe but not real likely.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Thanks everyone. I won’t be sitting around the house more like starting a new career actually. The to-do list has been growing along with the want-to-do list.

Currently what I want to do is get the rig re-insured. As has been the case with others, the valuation on our ‘15 RB is about $10,000 off the the forum evaluation. My only option is to get an appraisal now to lock in that price with Progressive.

Appraisals cost money $250-$350 from one company. What to do? AIS says Progressive wants a value set by a licensed appraisal company. Any ideas?

A rough start in this new adventure but isn’t that what life is all about? What’s life without a good challenge?

Kent

Reply #6
Currently what I want to do is get the rig re-insured. As has been the case with others, the valuation on our ‘15 RB is about $10,000 off the the forum evaluation. My only option is to get an appraisal now to lock in that price with Progressive.

Appraisals cost money $250-$350 from one company. What to do? AIS says Progressive wants a value set by a licensed appraisal company. Any ideas?

A rough start in this new adventure but isn’t that what life is all about? What’s life without a good challenge?

Kent

You might want to look at National General Ins if they insure in your area. I'm not sure if they still offer it but they offered replacement cost within the first 5 years and it reverted to what you paid for it after that. We still have that coverage on our 2006.

In our case, we were with Progressive and rates skyrocketed one year and I switched to GMAC and they were the ones offering that deal. They let me have that coverage because I had had it with Progressive and was within the 5 years at that point. National General took over GMAC and continues the coverage. They are the only ones to offer to pay you what you paid for the RV after the 5-year point should it be a total loss as far as I know. Everyone else offers either Actual Cash Value at the time of loss or an agreed/appraised value. Again, that may have changed and might not be offering it anymore.

If you opt for the appraised value policy be sure you read the loss settlement language of that endorsement once you have the policy. I would wonder how long they will pay that appraised value or if there might be a time limit. In other words, are they going to pay that same value 5 years later?

Jim

Reply #7
[. They are the only ones to offer to pay you what you paid for the RV after the 5-year point should it be a total loss as far as I know. Everyone else offers either Actual Cash Value at the time of loss or an agreed/appraised value. Again, that may have changed and might not be offering it anymore.

Jim
[/quote]

I’ve had the “pay what I paid for it” coverage on my ‘06 since I picked it up;  from AAA. I keep thinking every renewal they’re going to change it, but they don’t. Currently, it’s costing $75/yr for comp, and $336/yr for collision, with a fixed payout of $69,650. I’m curious as to how that matches up for others’ coverage?  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #8
Kent I paid $250 for an appraisal in 2010..that estimate is still what my rig is insured for. As a 1998, it's current value is listed as $31,000, above what any other amt. you'd find elsewhere. I'm insured thru Allied [which is combining w Nationwide]. I'm paying a higher yrly rate, but am also covered at a more reasonable amt. should anything happen to my rig.

The appraisal was done via email and I sent multiple pictures of EVERYTHING, all angles, in, out, from  above, all cabinets and storage areas opened and shot. I still have his official report.
This was with a gentleman in Arizona, and it was thru Miller's Ins.
Agency that I got his name.

At 10:45 AM 8/7/2018, you wrote:

Thanks everyone. I won't be sitting around the house more like starting a new career actually. The to-do list has been growing along with the want-to-do list.

Currently what I want to do is get the rig re-insured. As has been the case with others, the valuation on our '15 RB is about $10,000 off the the forum evaluation. My only option is to get an appraisal now to lock in that price with Progressive.

A rough start in this new adventure but isn't that what life is all about? What's life without a good challenge? Kent

You can reply to this email and have it posted as a topic reply.
LDO Links:

index.php?action=notifyboard;board=6.0 Regards, The Lazy Daze Owners Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #9
Thanks all. I believe National General was one of the carriers that AIS offered.

After checking Nat Generals website, it appears that they still offer a full replacement value package. I’m all about that. Since I have till October 1st to make the change, all the great advice has been very reassuring.

I did call Automotive Appraisal in Yorba Linda, CA and if need be I will use their services to gain as big an edge on the valuation as possible. Hopefully I will here back soon from AIS with the good news I need to hear.

Thanks again. You’ve all done very well. https://youtu.be/p6ddSA9lrkc Seriously🤗

Kent

Reply #10
Also sending my congratulations!  I'm not too far behind, but still need to store a few more acorns.

Hope you enjoy taking some awesome journeys!

-Rik
Rik & Lanie
Planning on the 2019 24FD

Reply #11
Something fishy about this whole retirement thing. Kinda hard to wrap my brain around it.

After 40 years at one place, driving the same route multiple times per week, the thought of a vacation that just keeps on going is bizarre.

The first few weeks are going to be very interesting.  https://youtu.be/krD4hdGvGHM

Kent

Reply #12
Something fishy about this whole retirement thing. Kinda hard to wrap my brain around it.

After 40 years at one place, driving the same route multiple times per week, the thought of a vacation that just keeps on going is bizarre.

The first few weeks are going to be very interesting.  https://youtu.be/krD4hdGvGHM

Kent
First thing - no weekends off  ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #13
Kent, it does take a little getting used to.  I almost felt guilty my first month of retirement . . .  you know, like I should be at work instead of staying home and getting paid.  Notice, I said almost:)  And yes, everyday is Saturday, except Sunday.  O:)

You may also want to check out an insurance broker as they have multiple clients to choose from.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Kent, it’s easy. Just trust Boston and “Don’t Look Back!”  😎. —Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #15
"And yes, everyday is Saturday, except Sunday."

Retiring once is a novel experience, doing it twice somehow becomes redundant!

One thing I've learned, I now hate weekends.   ;D   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
Congrats Kent, and welcome to the club.
2011 MB

Reply #17
Retirement is an interesting thing.   For me the hardest part was pushing all my professional magazines and licenses  into the trash can.   I spent years and large amounts of time learning and practicing my occupation.   The retirement  day came and its all over.  

Now I just do my best to finish what I started yesterday ---- nothing. 
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #18
Hi Kent, congratulations on your retirement. One comment to friends was that "Retirement isn't what you think it is". The six Saturdays and one Sunday is accurate. You've been preparing for this I know, but I missed my coworkers and the routine. I'm so busy now, I don't know how I ever found the time for work.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #19
Congratulations Kent!! It’s been 3 years for me still can’t sleep in lol.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #20
Ok so I’ve survived one of my “unexpected” retirement hurdles. Finding a new Insurance Provider for our beloved Lazy Daze.

After working the last two days with my AIS Agent, I abandoned any hope of getting a fair Valuation for our 2 1/2 year old rig.

Without getting an appraisal, Progressive gave a value of about $60,000 and National General was as low as $50,000 maybe lower. I was insulted by the depreciated value. Can’t blame the agent.

I did variety that if an appraised value of $75,000 was received National General would accept that as gospel and write the policy.

I went straight to AAA and without a blink of an eye I was given a replacement value of $110,000. I was told I would receive a $500 rebate on the premium if I carried the policy past the one year anniversary without a claim. On top of that, another monetary perk would be given after the first year. What’s not to like? Sign me up.

AAA also has a special RV/Motorcycle upgrade on their roadside service that guarantees that the appropriate sized tow truck will come to your rescue when needed. For some reason I think I will still keep my Coach-Net. Call me crazy. 🤪

Tomorrow I’m taking the LD to AAA for photographs. I’m glad this hic-up is nearly over.

Thanks for all your guidance.

Kent, the freeloader.

Reply #21
Ok so I’ve survived one of my “unexpected” retirement hurdles. Finding a new Insurance Provider for our beloved Lazy Daze.

After working the last two days with my AIS Agent, I abandoned any hope of getting a fair Valuation for our 2 1/2 year old rig.

Without getting an appraisal, Progressive gave a value of about $60,000 and National General was as low as $50,000 maybe lower. I was insulted by the depreciated value. Can’t blame the agent.

I did variety that if an appraised value of $75,000 was received National General would accept that as gospel and write the policy.

I went straight to AAA and without a blink of an eye I was given a replacement value of $110,000. I was told I would receive a $500 rebate on the premium if I carried the policy past the one year anniversary without a claim. On top of that, another monetary perk would be given after the first year. What’s not to like? Sign me up.

AAA also has a special RV/Motorcycle upgrade on their roadside service that guarantees that the appropriate sized tow truck will come to your rescue when needed. For some reason I think I will still keep my Coach-Net. Call me crazy. 🤪

Tomorrow I’m taking the LD to AAA for photographs. I’m glad this hic-up is nearly over.

Thanks for all your guidance.

Kent, the freeloader.

You might want to take a look at this which covers Stated Value vs Guaranteed Value. I believe that Agreed Value is the same as Guaranteed. Stated is one you probably don't want.

Stated Value vs Guaranteed Value

Jim

Reply #22
Jim,

I’ll go over with this “fine” detail with AAA tomorrow when they take pics of the rig. Heaven knows rv’s don’t appreciate in value. Oh those guys. I think it’s called obfuscation. 🤨

Kent

Reply #23
Please let us know how it goes, Kent.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24
Ready for it’s close up, I took our RB to AAA to finalise the new policy. While walking out to the rig, I asked for clarification on the “value” that was given on the policy which was $110,000.

The elder agent said the payoff for total loss was actual cash value at the time of the loss. This value was based on the most recent and highest selling price for a “like” Lazy Daze sold in Long Beach. If there were no recent sells of LDs in LB, then they would expand their search in an ever increasing circle around the area.

This seemed reasonable to me in as much as I know that my original policy with National Interstate gave full replacement costs for the first 5 years following manufacture and then reverted to a deprecating value from that point forward.

I haven’t had an accident in over twenty years and I hope this trend continues forward as we travel in the LD. So with that I’m good.

It would appear that AAA’s roadside service for Motorhomes is ok so I may even upgrade to the best they have as well as carry Coach-Net. Just more assurance with my insurance.

Hey! It’s only money.

Kent