Skip to main content
Topic: Marker/Clearance Lights Troubleshooting (Read 1059 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Marker/Clearance Lights Troubleshooting
Reply #51
About the needed parts?

No. What's in quotes. Do you mean you couldn't find parts or something, or you were disappointed in the way you were treated in Montclair at the Mothership? Perhaps I misunderstood you.

Chris

"I have not had much luck dealing with LD in Pomona..."

Alice, can you be specific?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #52
TA DA !!!!! 

Turns out all 3 rear lights had the same problem as pointed out by Ron B.  “””the conductor tab from the socket on the right isn't touching the piece of metal that the blue wire ring terminal  is connected to.””””

It is just a temporary fix, so I can drive at night if the mood hits me while waiting for the replacement units.
I did not fix the front one yet, gotta get on the roof for that. I figure if I get stopped for having that one light out I will tell the officer I have the bulb, tape and screwdriver if they want to get on the roof for me…..  LOL!!

It is amazing the difference between the light from an LED bulb (passenger side, side marker light) and the incandescent bulb (driver side, side marker light).
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #53
REPAIR COMPLETE!!!!!!

HOW I TESTED REPAIRS
I finished the rear and side marker lights repair, put in the LEDs and put on the new lenses. Took the bus out to a “washboard” dirt road and put in about 10 miles. Then did a 30 mile highway drive. All lights remained on.

WHAT I DID TO REPAIR THEM

The side marker lights would only light up one bulb at a time, unless the sockets were pushed farther apart from each other. I placed one of the old 194 incandescent bulbs between the sockets and it was just the right size to keep them far enough apart so that both worked. (I removed the wires at the base of the bulb so no chance of accidental conduction)

The rear marker lights all had the same problem, the plastic button that secured the socket to the blue wire broke and they were no longer contacting each other. I used Sugru to secure the connection.  I could not find anyone willing to solder them because it had to be done in place on an almost vertical angle and because the surrounding area was plastic.

MISCELLANEOUS
I did order 5 of the “complete LED upgrade units” from Lazy Daze. They were unable to provide a picture or link to a picture of that unit, so I have no idea what I will be getting or how it is to be installed. I’ll keep them as spares.
The units were 8.50 each and the total cost came to 70.40, including shipping. Payment had to be made by mailing them a personal check.  I haven’t used an envelope and stamp for about 12 years, and a trip to and from the post office, to obtain same, is about 20 miles. So I just sent it priority mail from the house at $7.00, because it would cost only slightly less than the cost of the gas to get to the post office for an envelope.

I will post pix of what I get, incase anyone else is curious.
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #54
Here is what the LED rear marker lights from LD look like. 
They are made by KAPER II,  here's the link;
https://www.kaperii.com/productpage1?lightbox=dataItem-jf1ee1iy1 and they are also available on Amazon.

Also shown are the rear side markers (not LED), Peterson Manufacturing.

who let the dogs out
1992 RB