Skip to main content
Topic: Do LD's have fewer rattles and squeaks than other class C's? (Read 1144 times) previous topic - next topic
Do LD's have fewer rattles and squeaks than other class C's?
My 2009 Monaco Covina is loaded with squeaks and rattles.  Dodge/Mercedes  3500 chassis, Class C, 24 ft., V-6 diesel, one slider.  Beautiful rig, supposed to be a luxury class C, but all the squeaks and rattles take the fun out of RVing for me.

Have been doing a lot of research online about the quietest class C's on the road, and Lazy Daze name comes up over and over again as one of the quietest RV's on road.  I'm getting serious about buying a 24 ft. Lazy Daze with twin beds in rear, and selling my Monaco Covina. 

My fear is that I'd run into the same thing again with a Lazy Daze.  I've had my rig inspected by all kinds of mechanics, and they all say the same thing.  "Nothing wrong with this RV, all RV's rattle and squeak.  Nothing to fix.  Just turn up the radio and enjoy the ride."

So my question is:  Do all Lazy Daze rattle and squeak too, or are they much quieter most other class C's?  I'm not talking about rattle of dishes, things in cabinets, shelves, refrigerator, closets, etc.  I'm talking about the rig itself and the way all the components and parts have been put together.

Any input would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Do LD's have a lot less rattles and squeaks than other class C's?
Reply #1
Our Lazy Daze is typically very quiet driving down the road.  When my wife hears a rattle, she gets up and often finds a couple of beer bottles rattling against each other and wraps them in towels, or a drawer not pushed all the way in.  The typical quiet ride of the Lazy Daze makes any rattles noticeable and annoying.  They are always caused by the loaded contents rattling against each other and she rectifies the situation.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2
Thanks Blueox25.  That's music to my ears.  Also, the sound of beer bottles rattling together is not always a bad thing, right?   ;)

Reply #3
I agree, I can identify and silence the cargo that is rattling.  If I forget to pull up the kitchen blind it will rattle.  I do have a small squeak above the passenger door between the cab and the overhead.  A quick squirt of silicone spray behind the carpet and it will be silenced. 
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #4
I have not noticed any rig rattles or squeeks in my 2001 twin king. You will love having a Lazy Daze.
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #5
Add some lithium grease to the guidebolts on the entry door every blue moon for the only “squeak” that has ever popped up on Ruby.

Overbuilt Sherman tanks on the road them thar Lazy Daze is!
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #6
We just turned 72000 miles on our 2011 midbath.  The rattle factor depends mostly on the road surface.  Obviously, when you hit rough pavement or holes in the road, you will have bangs, rattles, squeaks.  But, on a nice stretch of pavement, it's quiet.
2011 MB

Reply #7
My 2016 has no rattles on normal roads.   That's one reason I bought it.   I do use small hand towels to wrap and cover any items that are prone to making noise.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #8
My 2003 doesn't have rattles or squeaks except when a drawer slithers out, the screen door isn't closed separately from the entry door, or the overcab vent lid isn't tightly secured. Everything is still tight (a lot more so than I am!) after 15 years and 110k miles.

One of the reasons for "body squeaks" is that the frame bolts may need tightening; this is a maintenance job that needs to be done periodically. There are many references to the procedure in the forum archives, the Companion, and Larry's project pages; a search will bring up the resources. (The bolts on the holding tanks and step should be tightened at the same time.) Other "squeaks" may be due to causes other than body integrity issues.

Yes, there can be some thumping and banging, but that's usually due to road conditions, as pointed out in a previous post.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Thanks to ALL who have responded to my initial question about intensity of squeaks, rattles and "bangs" in your LD rides.  Your responses confirm that LD is top quality RV.  Just great that you're all there to share info and help each other on this website.

Hope to become an owner myself.  Seeking newer 24 ft., twin bed in rear, and have posted ad in classified section of this website. 

If it's meant to be, it will happen, right?  Thanks again. 

Reply #10
Hope to become an owner myself.  Seeking newer 24 ft., twin bed in rear, and have posted ad in classified section of this website.  If it's meant to be, it will happen, right?  Thanks again.

Before time gets away from us, I'd like to welcome you to this LD neighborhood.   In a short time, I think you see that Members of this Forum have an exceptional amount of knowledge and experience regarding all things related to LD from 1966 to the present.  And as importantly, Members are very generous about helping.  Best of luck in your search.

Reply #11
You ALL have been just great.  Clearly there's a real sense of community among Lazy Daze owners and/or admirers, and a warm welcoming for newbies like me. 

One of the things I appreciate a great deal is the website guideline prohibiting political discussions.  What a breath of fresh air that is!  Visiting your website is sort of like taking a vacation to a really good place.  You have something special going on here.  Glad I joined. 

Reply #12
Good roads no rattles except the drip pan in the stove which we remove when traveling but even it's barely there except on rough roads.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #13
2008 MB, fulltiming since November, 2008.  Over 70 K miles.  I have rattles and squeaks which are, without exception, due to stuff in my cabinets rattling.  But for my cabinet contents, my LD would be rattle and squeak free.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #14
Let me add my voice (keeping in mind this is a self selection experiment)...... if I  or we hear anything that rattles or makes a sound DW gets up and checks.   Generally its something we, generally me, forget to secure in its quiet mode.   The biggest noise maker is the door.  If we lock it securely (dead bolt engage) then the only noice we hear is engine and wind noice.   

Oh once and awhile I do hear DW screaming  when I exceed 100 miles an hour........
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #15
Our LD was silent as a tomb.  Then I got hearing aids and started noticing all sorts of sounds.  But as others have pointed out, it is rarely the LD making the noise - usually it is "stuff," and that is something we have control over.

When I hear annoying noises, I send someone (there are always at least 2 of us, typically 4 or 5) to track it down and do something about it, if possible.  And it almost always is possible.  The exhaust flap over the kitchen fan was the only challenge - it rattled.  It turned out it somehow slipped inside the frame when it is supposed to be outside.  Easy fix, once we made a serious effort to figure it out.  We always have a can of WD-40, velcro and some superglue with us.  If padding doesn't do the trick, one of those usually does.  But we've rarely had to resort to them.

So yes, the LD is pretty darn quiet.
Tom C.
2003 MB

Reply #16
My 2005 Jayco 25' Class C (24SS) doesn't rattle or squeak either, but the contents often do: dishes, bottles in the fridge, blinds, etc. The stove used to rattle until I replaced the rubber bits on the grate that the pans sit on, and the entry door latch needs a thin film of heavy grease periodically. My 1998 24' Maverick by Georgie Boy was the same way, so I suggest the lesson is it's generally not the motorhome that makes the noise, but the things loaded in it or attached to it that every Class C motorhome built on the E350/E450 Chassis will have.

We did have a motorhome that was quieter than either Class C: a 1994 Falcon Class B, built on a 19' Ford Van (not a cutaway). It had a softer ride, and that seemed to make a big difference in the noise it generated; also, it was more streamlined and had doors and windows that closed like those on a car or van,  and not like the sliding windows entry doors on Class C's, so less wind noise.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #17
The number one thing that rattles on a motorhome is the slide outs….LD does not have this problem.

all of Lazy Daze slide outs do not rattle....lol
2004 MB

Reply #18
The number one thing that rattles on a motorhome is the slide outs….LD does not have this problem.

I see that you recently joined this Forum and so welcome.  I think you're finding that this Neighborhood is a great resource for about anything related to the world of RVs and LDs to include everything from soup to nuts.  I hope your plans regarding your LD search and pending trip are successful.  Please keep us updated as you move forward.

Reply #19
Our old 1983 LD  was rattle free when we sold it. It was 20 year old and with 110,000 miles.
We thought is was noisy until we empied it, all the noise was our stuff .
Same amount of mile on our 2003 LD and no rattle or squeeks.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #20
Jerry, 

You said, “The number one thing that rattles on a motorhome is the slide outs....LD does not have this problem.

all of Lazy Daze slide outs do not rattle....lol”

Just for fun I’ll post these pics of the “only” LD slide out that may rattle.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #21
    The number one thing that rattles on a motorhome is the slide outs….LD does not have this problem,
    The slide on our 2005 Jayco 24SS has not been a noise problem (or any problem), so it's not universally true; instead, the noises come from all the other things mentioned. In fact, the major noise on the two class C's we've owned came from ...
     -Road noise: a good, smooth surface is almost silent compared to a rougher or pebbly textured surface, which makes the tires "sing"
     -Wind noise: The angular shape of most Class C units, including LD, produces a lot wind noise.

With a smooth road surface and a 20 mph tail wind, they were both almost as quiet as a modern car; the reverse situation made conversation almost impossible.

[/list]
    2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #22
    My 2009 Monaco Covina is loaded with squeaks and rattles.  Dodge/Mercedes  3500 chassis, Class C, 24 ft., V-6 diesel, one slider.  Beautiful rig, supposed to be a luxury class C, but all the squeaks and rattles take the fun out of RVing for me.
    What do the owners groups for Covinas and similar Sprinter chassis motorhomes have to say? Perhaps others have the solved the problems you have.
    2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #23
    Another way I look at the quality of the LD as compared to other brands is what I experienced over the years owning six motorhomes since 1982. Each of these units I bought new sometimes picking them up at the factory as with our current 2010 RB.  The first five included 3 class "C's," and two high end diesel pushers. With these first five units it took me at least a year to correct manufacturing faults with the coaches sometimes returning to the factory to do so. Not so with our LD. We have put over 100K miles in the last 8 years traveling all across North America towing a Honda CRV and now a Jeep Cherokee. We have had NO problems with the LD coach. We have had a few problems with some components (heat pump, microwave, door and water heater). Knock on wood, the Ford chassis has done quite well as I believe in doing preventive maintenance. We do store it inside (in Florida) which helps and exercise it monthly during that time.  There is no other better built class "C" coach manufactured in North America. 
    2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
    2004 Born Free 26'
    1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
    1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
    1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
    1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #24
    Whenever I have a rattle,  I find it's because I didn't properly work the pre-departure checklist.
    Happens all to often.  :(
    Joel & Terry Wiley
    dog Zeke
    2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE