Skip to main content
Topic: Bicycle Lock Review (Read 481 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bicycle Lock Review
Reply #1
The best lock is the one that hides the bike from view... i.e. the door lock of the rig.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
I use a lenghth of logging chain with a lock that trucking companies use to secure the rear door of trailers while bikes are on my RV. It's pretty undefeatable. May seem like overkill but our bikes add up to 5k together and I just can't risk it.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #3
The best lock is the one that hides the bike from view... i.e. the door lock of the rig.

Steve

You know I hear that a lot but IMO that's not the answer. Nothing is easier to break into than an RV and it's no big deal for a thief to get inside one for a look see.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #4
You know I hear that a lot but IMO that's not the answer. Nothing is easier to break into than an RV and it's no big deal for a thief to get inside one for a look see.

...but how often does that happen? Expensive visible bikes and other gear will be targeted first by professionals that probably carry the gear to defeat ANY lock/chain. If they break into the rig for a 'look-see', THAT damage is my biggest concern.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
...but how often does that happen? Expensive visible bikes and other gear will be targeted first by professionals that probably carry the gear to defeat ANY lock/chain. If they break into the rig for a 'look-see', THAT damage is my biggest concern.

Steve
A decision we all have to make for ourselves I guess. I'm just not comfortable with the hide and seek method myself though it is definitely the most popular.

Reply #6
What is logging chain in terms of hardness? The strongest chain is 100. Bottom line is the ubolt locks and hardened chain can be cut with a grinder even if they can't be cut with bolt cutters.

Two relatively new mountain bikes of ours were stolen a few years ago and I started researching bike theft. I came across an interview with two bike thieves in NYC. One was opportunistic and the other a pro who stole bikes by order. He used a cordless grinder. The interviewer asked him about seeing sparks at night and he said he used a bag to cover the sparks.

Personally, I like Steve's idea but we don't have room to put our two in the LD. I would prefer to have a tow vehicle that I could store them both in but we don't. We just try to make it as difficult as possible with hardened chain and ubolt locks.

Here is an excellent video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pywN558dJaU

Jim

Reply #7
You probably can't stop a dedicated and determined thief that has targeted your particular item.  For the rest of them, the best you can do is to set the level of difficulty high enough that they move on to the next potential victim. 
IMNSHO
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #8
"Out of site, out of mind" my be the best bicycle security, for "Locks only keep honest people honest!"
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #9
You probably can't stop a dedicated and determined thief that has targeted your particular item.  For the rest of them, the best you can do is to set the level of difficulty high enough that they move on to the next potential victim. 
IMNSHO
joel
That's pretty much my thinking on this too. Most thieves are snatch and run types that want easy money for their next fix and are not going to mess with an intimidating looking system !ike mine. As Jim and Gayle said you can't stop a determined thief but I don't think the kind of places I go in my LD has many of those and it's more than likely a stupid kid or a druggie. Many years ago my mom and dad were sitting in their fifth wheel in a store parking lot when they heard a popping sound and when they went out to investigate they saw to kids riding their bikes away and their little cable lock cut in two and laying on the ground. That won't happen with my logging chain and truckers padlock.

Reply #10
"Out of site, out of mind" my be the best bicycle security, for "Locks only keep honest people honest!"
If the question was a poll I'm sure that would win.

Reply #11
If someone seriously wants your bike, it's gone.
As mentioned earlier, my brother and SIL's MT bikes were recently removed from their TT, while the sleeping in a room 30' away.
Both bikes had Kryptonite New York locks. He heard nothing, the bikes and locks were gone in the morning.
A battery powered angle grinder can cut any lock off quickly but it's a noisy process .
A small cutting torch or hydraulic cutter or spreader could also be used. Whatever was was, it didn't make much noise .

On the positive side, with proper registration, the locks come with insurance. Between his own insurance and Kryptonite's coverage, my brother's out of pocket costs will be near zero.
He wanted a different bike anyway.  Losing sometimes can be a win.
It pays to buy the right locks and to make sure your insurance covers your bikes.

We carried old bikes for several years, they looked bad but were in good mechanical condition.
This seems to be a good approach, why steal a junker when a nicer bike is just down the road, waiting to be picked.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
I’m not much for putting bikes inside the rig. This just isn’t practical with two adults taking up the living space.

My 47 year old Nishiki may not garner much attention on the back of the rig and perhaps my DW’s Townie won’t attract any thieves either. None-the-less I will do my best to secure them enough to make a thief prefer the other guys bikes.

Perhaps a hoist to the roof would be doable. I recently added three simple block and tackles in my garage to hang our three bikes off the floor. With the bikes on the roof, perhaps then only Santa would bother with them.

In the meantime, I did just purchase a 10’ loggers chain on eBay for about $15. Maybe this will say, “Why bother?” To a lazy bike thief. Besides, my home owners policy covers our bikes as well.

Just sayin’

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #13
I’m not much for putting bikes inside the rig. This just isn’t practical with two adults taking up the living space.

My 47 year old Nishiki may not garner much attention on the back of the rig and perhaps my DW’s Townie won’t attract any thieves either. None-the-less I will do my best to secure them enough to make a thief prefer the other guys bikes.

Perhaps a hoist to the roof would be doable. I recently added three simple block and tackles in my garage to hang our three bikes off the floor. With the bikes on the roof, perhaps then only Santa would bother with them.

In the meantime, I did just purchase a 10’ loggers chain on eBay for about $15. Maybe this will say, “Why bother?” To a lazy bike thief. Besides, my home owners policy covers our bikes as well.

Just sayin’

Kent
The logging chain just looks bad ass and kind of says don't mess with me. My insurance covers our bikes too but the one I bring for rail to trail stuff is a collectors item now that I've had since it was brand new and it's kind of irreplaceable. It's a Klein Palamino and people have offered me thousands for it just to hang on the wall but it's so old insurance would probably give me a hundred bucks. My single track bike is very expensive and fairly new but if it was stolen I'd take the insurance money and buy an even better one. :)  Really don't want a vacation interrupted from either being stolen though plus it just pisses me off when somebody steals something. I become semi homicidal. Good luck to the theif I catch red handed.

Reply #14
We feel secure with our bicycles and motorcycle locked inside the enclosed trailer. Nothing is perfect, but the trailer keeps our stuff dry, clean, and out of sight. It also allows space for both of our MC riding gear (ATGATT), and bicycling paraphernalia. Each night, everything goes back inside, locked up, and I sleep well.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #15
"... our MC riding gear (ATGATT)"
----
I first heard the adage, "ATGATT" (All The Gear, All The Time), from Terry Burnes, and every time I see somebody on a motorcycle wearing flip flops, shorts, and a tee shirt (usually a kid, but not always!), I picture the potential of a "roadburger" ending if the bike goes down. If you ride, suit up!  :o
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
ATGATT is an acronym from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic rider training.  I'm with you on scantily clad motorcyclists;  they haven't taken their first slide down the pavement.  If they keep riding, it will be a certainty.  There are two groups of motorcyclists: Those who have crashed and those who will crash. 

I especially wince when I see scantily clad girls riding on the back of bikes with testosterone charged males in the front.  Their beautiful  and youthful skin won't look nearly as pretty when the doctor gets finished debraiding the gravel out after the crash.

My community college students sometimes asked me why I wear so much gear on the motorcycle and a few students mentioned that I look like a "dork".  I asked them what they would like to wear if they were standing naked in the shower an someone burst in and attacked them with a belt sander?

I'd rather buy skin than grow it. 
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #17
ATGATT is an acronym from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic rider training.  I'm with you on scantily clad motorcyclists;  they haven't taken their first slide down the pavement.  If they keep riding, it will be a certainty.  There are two groups of motorcyclists: Those who have crashed and those who will crash. 

I especially wince when I see scantily clad girls riding on the back of bikes with testosterone charged males in the front.  Their beautiful  and youthful skin won't look nearly as pretty when the doctor gets finished debraiding the gravel out after the crash.

My community college students sometimes asked me why I wear so much gear on the motorcycle and a few students mentioned that I look like a "dork".  I asked them what they would like to wear if they were standing naked in the shower an someone burst in and attacked them with a belt sander?

I'd rather buy skin than grow it. 
I went down wearing a T shirt and jeans when I was young and stupid and had pieces of gravel working their way out of my back and shoulders for two years. At least I was smart enough to have a helmet on though or I would have been dead. The helmet actually spit in two and I had amnesia and a concussion even with the helmet on. I still remember the ER doc saying how many fingers am I holding up and staring at his hand thinking I should know this. LOL

Reply #18
I spent several years working in the local ER & ICU, and will never get on a MC thank you.  A long-time riding coworker stated that she had never crashed hers - she did say she laid it down a few times tho. Half a herd of cattle gave up there skin so she wouldn't have to give up hers.  
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #19
As someone who has worked in the bicycle industry since high school - in other words, a long, long time - , I think the bike makers will sometime soon get smart and put electronic chips in bikes so that it's easier to find and recover them. This might thwart a certain percentage of bike thefts.

We're seeing this technology used in the shared bike programs many cities have now, such as with the JUMP e-bikes that were created by a former Uber founder or employee, I believe. It's not easy to steal them, but if you do, the JUMP people are tracking, finding and reclaiming the bikes.

Personally, my best bike rides inside our TK up on the cab bed. I made a carrier for it that holds it in such a way that it can't fall on top of us should we get in an accident. Then the other bikes ride on a Hollywood rear hitch rack.

The bikes in back are locked with two different types of locks so that thieves need to defeat both locks. Equally important, the bike rack itself is locked to the hitch with a locking hitch pin.  Still, I always worry about those bikes because it's so easy to cut off locks (and the racks from the hitch) with modern battery operated tools.

If I feel like the area we are parking is risky, I remove the bikes from the rear rack and put them inside the RV. And, I bring them in at night at the campsite - unless it feels totally safe.

As a second line of protection inside the RV we have 2 medium size dogs, one pretty scary. You'd have to be pretty brave or stupid to try to get into our RV with him on watch.

Yet, even with all this, I do still worry about the bikes and wish I didn't have to. But, it's not just bikes, it's everyting you own these days. Sadly, it's just a fact of modern life that those that have, need to beware those that don't - that have decided to become crooks.

Take every precaution and I hope you keep all your possessions yours!

Jim & Deb
Santa Cruz, CA
2016 TK

Reply #20
Kinda wonder if a motion detector could work out our back windows. When it senses a prowler/bike thief it could drop a net on them and summon the authorities.

https://youtu.be/SfM4ZqPUvxQ

Just a thought.

Kent

Reply #21

Speaking of motion detector - there are also open detectors that you can buy that would generate unbearable noise levels if the given thing was interrupted. They are normally used to detect opening doors but could be rigged to sense bike movements.

Amazon.com : Doberman Security Portable Door Alarm with Flash Light, 1...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
1996 Twin King

Reply #22
Jim,

I like your ideas.  A locator chip wouldn't add that many grams to a bicycle and the owner might at least get their frame back.  The technology is here already.

We also use a Hollywood rack and I'm really happy with it.  It carries both mountain bikes and recumbent road bikes securely, was relatively economical to purchase, and their customer service was excellent when I needed to make a modification.

We have always traveled with a four-footed motion sensing alarm system that only required food and loving.  If a two footed visitor got close to our rig, we knew and, like you said, anyone who was unfortunate enough to meet him up close wished to be elsewhere in a hurry.  I had to put him down two months ago, miss him by the hour, and am watching the offerings at the pound for a new family member. The house, yard, truck, and rig seem devoid of fur, empty and much too quiet without the presence of smelly and shedding dog.

Off for a bike ride before it gets too hot.

HD
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #23
Sorry to hear about Toby, Harold.   :(
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24
Harold you mentioned your loss and my heart aches at this news. I, too, have held several four footed friends in my arms as that very deep sleep has carried them away.

Enjoy the early morning air. On another alarming note, I put in my two week notice at the plant two days ago and retirement is less than two weeks away. 🎉

While most of my upcoming LD travels will be solo until “our” trip to Yosemite in November, my DW will be joining me for a few days at Serrano in August.

This means her Townie will be joining me on my mostly solo trip. I do have the “loggers chain” coming so this will add a little peace of mind as I take my daily rides around the lake.

Putting the Townie inside the rig every day is a daunting task so I’ll take my chances that my fellow campers will deter any day time bike thieves. I do like the idea of a “bike lo-jack” so this idea merits serious consideration.

Kent