Skip to main content
Topic: Fun stuff - kitchen blinds (Read 180 times) previous topic - next topic
Fun stuff - kitchen blinds

One of the first changes I made was to remove the blinds above the cook surface because the way I cook, well let’s just say I can set off a smoke detector merely thinking about cooking.  I still wanted the option of privacy for that window, so this is what I came up with.
I made stencils of a greyhound head and a heart, traced them onto some window cling material, then cut them out. I wasn’t sure how they would hold up to sliding the window open and closed, but they have remained secure after 7 months of window use and cleaning.
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Re: Fun stuff - kitchen blinds
Reply #1
That's actually pretty cool. Where did you source the window cling material - I am not familiar with that product.
Chet in Yorktown, Virginia

Reply #2
Amazon has a large selection of vendors who sell “Window Privacy Film”. I have been looking for some heavy plastic sheets to install on my backyard fence I’ve been building as a way to block the view of my neighbors pink house. Came across these films and was amazed to find such a variety to choose from.

Here are some samples...

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
That's actually pretty cool. Where did you source the window cling material - I am not familiar with that product.

Just type "Self-Adhesive Window Film" into the search box at Amazon, or places like HomeDepot, Lowes, WallMart and etc.

You want the self-adhesive or static cling type of film. You just wet the window and slide the cling into place, squeegie it flat and DONE. You can peel and reuse as well.
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #4
Making the stencils
I made the stencils using photo paper, the kind you use to print fotos on a home printer. It is the perfect stiffness for a stencil.

What you can’t draw by hand, use a google search to find a picture of and download that to print out for the stencil.
In my case, I drew the greyhound myself, but for the heart I downloaded a picture. To save ink, before I printed the picture, I used a photo editing program to change a solid colored heart into an outline of a heart, by erasing the background of the photo and the interior portion of the heart.

Once the stencil is printed out, you cut it out and there is your stencil.

Of course you could always just cut the window film to match the window and apply it. VERY fast and easy. I chose the silhouettes because I still wanted to be able to see out of that window.
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #5
Thank you so much Alice - great info!
Chet in Yorktown, Virginia