Skip to main content
Topic: Propane Detector Alarm  (Read 243 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane Detector Alarm
The propane alarm in our 99 26 IB is located at the floor level beneath the sink.. It is a CCI Gas Leak Detector with three lights and a mute button.. pretty sure it is the original and even more sure that it doesn't work now.. so looking for the best functional replacement..   The current one is on a fused circuit which I assume is house batteries.. I see there are combinations of Carbon Monoxide and Gas alarms and there are propane specific alarms...Would appreciate any recommendations on replacement from those who have that experience.  The best reviews are for alarms that plug into the AC outlets.. which don't seem smart for us as we dry camp as often as we are on shore power..although I think they have 9v battery back up.. TIA   John and Cathy Hagan .
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Re: Propane Detector Alarm
Reply #1

This is the MTI model (CCI, the manufacturer of the original LPG detectors in older LDs, is no longer in business) that I have. The detector is available in a white or "brown" version (kind of a light greyish-browny color).

Amazon.com: Marine Technologies MTI Industries 30-442-P-BR Safe T Alert 30...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
JCT Thank You. It is on order..
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Reply #3
"Would appreciate any recommendations on replacement from those who have that experience."

I installed the very detector JCT recommended just this spring.

When you get into the job you will discover that there is a fuse, in line, behind the OEM device. I utilized this in my installation.

Be aware however that the center to center mounting screw dimensions may not be the same. I overcame this problem by fabricating a new mounting plate from aluminum stock which acts as a backing plate and provides added length for at least one of the two screws. Hope you can picture the word description!   ::)

The 'brown' color offered is rather putrid.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
John and Cathy,
I tried  the AC powered CO and propane  detector with a 9 volt battery backup as the first detector in my 1988 MB.  I went through a couple  of batteries in about as many months  while boondocking on weekends.  I tossed it.   I put in a MTI when I added an Auxiliary fuse panel  and solar system.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
JCT and all.
Thanks very much. I order from Amazon yesterday .. Since we are leaving this weekend I paid $3.95 additional for one day delivery and had it delivered TODAY.. That delivery time amazed me - how do they do that.   Anyway .. I got home late this evening and installed it in 10 minutes. I left the in line fuse out but will putt back in when I get the correct fuse .. not sure what was in there size wise as it was lost when I disable the alarm for multiple false alarms .. always at 3 iam..the holes line up perfectly and  i am happy to have one fixed. THANKS again to JCT and alll.

Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Reply #6
We also replaced our old propane detector with the exact one recommended above. We know it works b/c Pam knocked one of the oven nobs on last fall while cleaning the cabinet over the stove and it certainly let us know!  :)

Jim and Pam
Pam and Jim
2003 MB