Skip to main content
Topic: Rotate tires on LD? (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic
Rotate tires on LD?
I'm wondering if rotating tires on my LD is something I even need to ponder. You only really need to rotate every 10k or so and from what I understand you should change out your tires on an RV ever six years. Not sure I'll put enough miles over 10k on my rig to justify this. It's not like I'm expecting them to last 40k. Am I right on this or off base?
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Re: Rotate tires on LD?
Reply #1
I'm wondering if rotating tires on my LD is something I even need to ponder. You only really need to rotate every 10k or so and from what I understand you should change out your tires on an RV ever six years. Not sure I'll put enough miles over 10k on my rig to justify this. It's not like I'm expecting them to last 40k. Am I right on this or off base?

With extended valve stems on the rear duals, rotation is difficult and usually not needed as long as the rear tires are wearing evenly. 
The rear tires usually time out before they wear out. Use a tire tread depth gauge to check wear.
Amazon.com: VanFn Tire Tread Depth Gauge, Color Coded Tread Depth Tire Gauge...

The front wheels benefit from rotation, either side to side or by rotating the spare in during each rotation, assuming the spare tire was replaced at the same time as the other tires. Our front tires are rotated at between 5,000-8,000 miles.
The front tires are much easier to rotate than the rears.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Keep a close watch on all the tires for any signs of unusual wear:

Reading Tire Wear Patterns

I rotate the front tires every 10k or so, even if they don't show any wear issues; I don't rotate the rears.

Overweight and underinflation are the biggest tire killers; in most cases, while the tread will indicate problems of mis-alignment, weight, and inflation, the sidewalls on RV tires are subject to much more stress from those conditions. When the tread is wear-checked (and/or for damage), be sure to look carefully at (and feel) the sidewalls for cracking, bulges, weathering, checking, cuts, missing chunks at the beads, etc.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Good info and what I was thinking-hoping. Thanks guys.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #4
Larry, I thought earlier you suggested rotation of all of the tires including the rear tires to get the one tire nearest the exhaust away from the heat periodically?  This was due to a blow out to that tire you had last year?

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #5
Larry, I thought earlier you suggested rotation of all of the tires including the rear tires to get the one tire nearest the exhaust away from the heat periodically?  This was due to a blow out to that tire you had last year?

While I will rotate the rear tires eventually, heat shields have been installed on our LD to deflect the heat away from the inner, right rear tire, helping to eliminate or minimize the heat damage.
Exhaust heat shields | Flickr
Checking with an infrared thermometer shows the inner tire temps have been reduced.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze