Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing roof top fantastic fan  (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing roof top fantastic fan
So the original fantastic fan on our 2000 RB was replaced Saturday, when we bought our rig the original owner had install vent covers on all the vents/fan which we found drastically reduced airflow from the vents. After much research we decided on the maxair deluxe fan with the integrated rain shield, rain shields are a must for us and an aftermarket rain shield will always limit how far a vent can open as well as restrict airflow.  Being able to run the fan while the vent is closed to circulate the AC/Heat is also a plus.

We decided on the remote controlled option, I understand this adds some complexity/parasitic battery drain but the auto open/close adds a nice modern upgrade to our 18 year old camper. 

Removing the old fantastic fan was an absolute disaster. This camper had been resealed by the previous owners but the original factory sealant under the fan was a nightmare to overcome.  The sealant around the lip/screws of the old fan was extremely tough to remove.  Once we got it off the screws were removed but then it appears lazy daze used a grey sealant under the fan that never actually stiffens. This grey sealant is highly resilient to solvents and is extremely tacky even after 18 years.  Overcoming the grey sealant literally required cutting the fantastic fan apart in pieces, it did not help that lazy daze also appeared to have used liquid nails directly around the fan/hole. I can’t imagine doing this job without an oscillating tool, that being said i also can’t imagine an RV dealer doing this job without seriously damaging the roof from prying the old fan up.  If you plan to remove a vent assembly be ready to spend quite a few hours on the roof.

To reseal I cleaned the old gunk off the best that I could, I then liberally applied dicor self level around the new fan bevel.  I sealed the fan and screwed it down and then sealed around the screw heads/bevel.  I highly doubt my sealing job is nearly as robust as the factory, but an important factor here is to not skimp on sealant, a thoroughly application of sealant is a must in my opinion.

I also took the time to eternabond my main roof seals, I have no plans to eternabond anything but the front cap/side seams.  That being said in my opinion the eternabond application was extremely easy.  It seems like quality stuff and truth be told it’s extremely easy to apply (atleast with my technique).  I will be sealing eveverything else later this week and I’m happy to know lazy daze did such a good job of sealing this thing back in 2000.
2000 RB

Re: Replacing roof top fantastic fan
Reply #1
So the original fantastic fan on our 2000 RB was replaced Saturday, when we bought our rig the original owner had install vent covers on all the vents/fan which we found drastically reduced airflow from the vents. After much research we decided on the maxair deluxe fan with the integrated rain shield, rain shields are a must for us and an aftermarket rain shield will always limit how far a vent can open as well as restrict airflow.  Being able to run the fan while the vent is closed to circulate the AC/Heat is also a plus.

We decided on the remote controlled option, I understand this adds some complexity/parasitic battery drain but the auto open/close adds a nice modern upgrade to our 18 year old camper. 

Removing the old fantastic fan was an absolute disaster. This camper had been resealed by the previous owners but the original factory sealant under the fan was a nightmare to overcome.  The sealant around the lip/screws of the old fan was extremely tough to remove.  Once we got it off the screws were removed but then it appears lazy daze used a grey sealant under the fan that never actually stiffens. This grey sealant is highly resilient to solvents and is extremely tacky even after 18 years.  Overcoming the grey sealant literally required cutting the fantastic fan apart in pieces, it did not help that lazy daze also appeared to have used liquid nails directly around the fan/hole. I can’t imagine doing this job without an oscillating tool, that being said i also can’t imagine an RV dealer doing this job without seriously damaging the roof from prying the old fan up.  If you plan to remove a vent assembly be ready to spend quite a few hours on the roof.

To reseal I cleaned the old gunk off the best that I could, I then liberally applied dicor self level around the new fan bevel.  I sealed the fan and screwed it down and then sealed around the screw heads/bevel.  I highly doubt my sealing job is nearly as robust as the factory, but an important factor here is to not skimp on sealant, a thoroughly application of sealant is a must in my opinion.

I also took the time to eternabond my main roof seals, I have no plans to eternabond anything but the front cap/side seams.  That being said in my opinion the eternabond application was extremely easy.  It seems like quality stuff and truth be told it’s extremely easy to apply (atleast with my technique).  I will be sealing eveverything else later this week and I’m happy to know lazy daze did such a good job of sealing this thing back in 2000.
My fans still working fine in my 1997 LD but the interior plastic  is brittle and breaking where the screws hold it to the ceiling so I had to put some big washers on to get a better  bite. You just convinced me to live with this and not even think of replacing my fan.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #2
My fans still working fine in my 1997 LD but the interior plastic  is brittle and breaking where the screws hold it to the ceiling so I had to put some big washers on to get a better  bite. You just convinced me to live with this and not even think of replacing my fan.
The interior trim ring is replaceable
.Amazon.com: Fantatsic Vent FANTASTIC VENT k1060-80 6" INTERIOR GARNISH...

I recently replaced  the insides of the fantastic Fan with their 7350 upgrade which adds a remote control, so my wife can now easily control the fan without using a step stool. We can also use the remote when in bed, to control ventilation.
Amazon.com: Fan-Tastic 807359 Upgrade Kit: Automotive

The air flow, using a vent cover has never been an issue, the bottom of the vent covers have been raised a 1/2" by stacking washers under the cover's feet. The extra space under the cover allow for much greater air flow with the existing fan.
Nice thing about Fantastic Fans is never having to pay for replacement parts....so far, never know what Dometic might do next.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
This is true, another reason for the entire replacement was to ideally put the old fantastic fan in the rear bath as an upgrade since indeed the guts can be replace/upgrades. 

Obviously the fan did not survive the transplant hahaha.
2000 RB

Reply #4
Cor2man-
I've been using a Maxxfan Deluxe for the past 5 years on our class B RV.  Points that I've come to appreciate include; on low setting very quite with low power consumption, on high setting still moves a lot of air, no problems with water entry even in blowing rain, can leave it cracked open while under way.  Thermostat mode also works well.

You put in a lot of work on those projects.  Congrats on the accomplishments!
2002 M-23 Twin King & 2016 Subaru Forester tow car

Reply #5
"I recently replaced  the insides of the fantastic Fan with their 7350 upgrade which adds a remote control, so my wife can now easily control the fan without using a step stool. We can also use the remote when in bed, to control ventilation.
Amazon.com: Fan-Tastic 807359 Upgrade Kit: Automotive"

Larry, does this replace the fan and motor too or does it just upgrade you to a wireless setup, is there also auto close feature?

Karen~Liam
      98 ~ MB
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #6
"I recently replaced  the insides of the fantastic Fan with their 7350 upgrade which adds a remote control, so my wife can now easily control the fan without using a step stool. We can also use the remote when in bed, to control ventilation.
Amazon.com: Fan-Tastic 807359 Upgrade Kit: Automotive"
does this replace the fan and motor too or does it just upgrade you to a wireless setup, is there also auto close feature?

The kit replaces the manual controls with the remote, adding a motor to lift and lower the lid.
The remote controls the opening and closing of the lid, the fan speed, the fan's direction and thermostat setting.
It has a rain detector which will close the vent in case of rain . This feature isn't useful to us since our LD has vent covers.
The automatic closing feature can be turned off

The fan's roof frame and inner trim do not come with the 7350, it is just an upgrade, not a replacement.
The motor does not come with the kit but, with the older, 2002 Fantastic Fan, the older canister motor would not operate correctly with the speed control.
Contacting Fantastic's customer service resulted in a new motor shipped overnight, free of charge .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze