Skip to main content
Topic: Portland, OR Area Roof and Window re-sealing (Read 393 times) previous topic - next topic
Portland, OR Area Roof and Window re-sealing
My mother just purchased a 2008 MB and it is due for a roof re-sealing along with replacing the window sealant between the frame and the body.  Does anyone know of someone in the Portland Oregon area that does this kind of work?

Here is what I am looking to have done:
Eternabond the side and front roof seams
Dicor lap sealant spot treatments around the vents, antenna, ac, etc.
3M 5200 sealant around the window frames

I am following what Larry W recommends.  I have not seen anyone refer to a rear roof seem for eternabond coverage?  Is there no seam between the roof and the rear wall?

Thanks,
Wade
2008 27' MB

Re: Portland, OR Area Roof and Window re-sealing
Reply #1
Hello Wade,

I live in the Portland area and I do not know of anyone who will do this, but I would strongly suggest having a conversation with Vince at the LD factory regarding having them do this work.  Last year, I took my '06 to the factory and had them do it.  Based on their recommendations, I also had all the fantastic vents replaced at the same time and it is a good thing that I did it, because one of them was starting to leak. Apparently they crack and resealing doesn't help.

Vince also has some horror stories of having to repair previously re-sealed LD's that were re-sealed with eternabond.  I know that guys like Larry can do it right and make it work, but be careful who you choose if you go that route.

The factory does the best job of resealing but it is definitely not cheap.

To answer one of your questions, there is no seam on the back of the roof.

Your welcome to come see my roof to see what the factory did if you like.

Regards,
Mike S.
'06 Anniversary Edition TB
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #2
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.  Replacing the fantastic fans at this time is probably a good idea.  I will do some research on that. 

I saw someone post at one point about a type of fan that automatically turned on in order to keep their pet's cool?  I suppose a fan like that would need some sort of rain sensor.  That sounds like an extra complication to break, but my mom may want to travel with her cat. 

Wade
2008 27' MB

Reply #3

Here is what I am looking to have done:
Eternabond the side and front roof seams
Dicor lap sealant spot treatments around the vents, antenna, ac, etc.
3M 5200 sealant around the window frames

Thanks,
Wade

I'll throw this out there as a question. Wouldn't using 3M 5200 around windows make it extremely difficult to remove them in the future should you break one or need to replace them due to fogging?

I also thought that the windows on newer models which supposedly includes our 06 did not need to have the windows routinely re-sealed. Perhaps I'm wrong, it won't be the first time and I'm sure someone will correct me.

Jim

Reply #4
I'll throw this out there as a question. Wouldn't using 3M 5200 around windows make it extremely difficult to remove them in the future should you break one or need to replace them due to fogging?

When I seal a window frame, only a thin strip of sealant is applied round the perimeter of the frame, to seal the edge, .
I would not glue a window frame in with 3M 5200, it would make removing the window intact difficult to impossible.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5

“Vince also has some horror stories of having to repair previously re-sealed LD's that were re-sealed with eternabond.  I know that guys like Larry can do it right and make it work, but be careful who you choose if you go that route.”

Well, not just Larry, but fumblefingers like myself can do it. This almost guarantees that anyone can Eternabond. 😜. — Jon

(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #6
Hello Wade,

I live in the Portland area and I do not know of anyone who will do this, but I would strongly suggest having a conversation with Vince at the LD factory regarding having them do this work.  Last year, I took my '06 to the factory and had them do it.  Based on their recommendations, I also had all the fantastic vents replaced at the same time and it is a good thing that I did it, because one of them was starting to leak. Apparently they crack and resealing doesn't help.

Vince also has some horror stories of having to repair previously re-sealed LD's that were re-sealed with eternabond. I know that guys like Larry can do it right and make it work, but be careful who you choose if you go that route.

The factory does the best job of resealing but it is definitely not cheap.

To answer one of your questions, there is no seam on the back of the roof.

Your welcome to come see my roof to see what the factory did if you like.

Regards,
Mike S.
'06 Anniversary Edition TB
Could you elaborate on this a bit? I resealed mine with Eternabond and believe I did a good job but your comment has me wondering. Seemed pretty straight forward from videos I watched but maybe I missed something.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #7
Could you elaborate on this a bit? I resealed mine with Eternabond and believe I did a good job but your comment has me wondering. Seemed pretty straight forward from videos I watched but maybe I missed something.

A properly done Eternabond job should last many years.
It's an industrial roofing product, used on flat, membrane roofs, that has many decades of use proving its worth.
The Motherships hate the stuff because it sticks so well and is very difficult to remove.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
I think the factory has seen several cases where the eternabond was not properly installed. They had bubbles that caused further problems requiring resealing. And Larry is correct it is very difficult to remove.

For me, I did not trust my own skills to do it properly and given the importance of maintaining a water tight LD, I opted to let the factory do the job for me. I'm glad I did. Also, had I not received and acted on Vince's advice to replace the vents, I would be regretting it now.

Mike

'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #9
"I think the factory has seen several cases where the eternabond was not properly installed. They had bubbles that caused further problems requiring resealing."
----
I am aware of a couple of situations in which an Eternabond application failed due to the adhesive not sticking; apparently, it was a bad run of product. However, IMO, an Eternabond "fail" is most often due to poor surface preparation; unless the surfaces to be taped are clean, smooth, and dry, the tape applied carefully, i.e., not stretched or twisted and rolled down as one goes along (I used the roller from Best Materials) , the tape will bubble and "lump" and not stick properly. But, the mis-laid tape will stick to the point of making a big flippin' mess that's very difficult to remove; if one isn't willing or able to do a very thorough surface prep and careful application, I suggest having the factory do the reseal.

As ever, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
I have had great success with electrical work at  Waynes mobile RV repair in Southeast Portland. They are mobile but also have a large shop on Division St. They are the highest regarded I have found in Portland, and photos on their website suggests that they could do the work you are after. Worth at least giving them a phone call I think. I also believe, but am not quite certain, that LD windows are manufactured in Vancouver Washington. I will check on that and post. I think I saw a video showing that you can go to the factory and have work done there such as resealing.

Pete
Pete
1994 RB

Reply #11
I have had great success with electrical work at  Waynes mobile RV repair in Southeast Portland. They are mobile but also have a large shop on Division St. They are the highest regarded I have found in Portland, and photos on their website suggests that they could do the work you are after. Worth at least giving them a phone call I think. I also believe, but am not quite certain, that LD windows are manufactured in Vancouver Washington. I will check on that and post. I think I saw a video showing that you can go to the factory and have work done there such as resealing.

Pete

If they're not already added perhaps you could add their contact information to the list here on LDO.

Jim

Reply #12
I talked to Wayne many times today, and he seems very knowledgeable and busy.
He was familiar with enternabond tape and 3M 5200, but they were not his first choice of product. He was willing and skilled to use what I would have specified, but he has a big personality and opinions.  It sounds like a common trait in the RV industry.  In fact every rv service technician I have talked to (3) has recommended not using enternabond.

Unfortunately the dealer I am working with broke their word and has chosen the service place for me, so I will not be able to go with Wayne.

Wayne was even willing to stop by and take a look at the work done on the RV free of charge as a favor to me since the dealer is near his shop. I would recommend him.
2008 27' MB

Reply #13
Did Wayne offer an explanation/ reasons why Eternabond and/or 5200 were not his “first choice of product”? Did he say *which* products he preferred to use for which applications ?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
You know, maybe I over stated it. He never recommend against it outright, it was just not what he recommend initially.  One guy, Jeff at J & S, said that you had to make sure it was very clean before you install enternabond, which we know. I can’t remember what Wayne’s objection to enternabond was. Maybe they are reluctant to take on the extra work and risk of messing up. It does have a high downside if it needs to be redone.
I remember Jeff said that he though that 3M 5200 was very stiff and also white colored. He was recommending a more flexible product for around the windows, but didn’t name one.

Another mobile repair guy I texted with, Accurate Mobile RV Repair, said the following:

“Hey Wade

My apologies for the delay. I am a one man team & get pretty busy this time of year. I do my best to keep up with demands.

Yes i am familiar with Lazy Daze coaches. I also offer roof & sidewall seal work. I have used & am familiar with the products you mentioned.

Professionally I recommend using Dycor self leveling roof sealant & Geocel ProFlex RV Sealant on the sidewalls, windows,doors, trims etc.

I don’t use Eternabond. From my experience it’s more of a really expensive bandaid that looses its bond over time allowing water to be trapped under the tape, causing leaks & roof rot.  

Using actual roof sealant seems to work best for roof applications for the long run.

Geocel provides an extremely good bond, no color fade or yellowing. It stays flexible & doesn’t get chalky & dry over time.

Where are you located?

Kind Regards
Josh Charles
360-604-5835
Accurate Mobile RV Repair
www.accuratemobilerv.com
www.rvservicereviews.com

In the end, the dealership selected J & S for me. He is using dicor self leveling on the roof and was going to use a silicone based sealant around the windows. Luckily I stopped him in time and asked for 3M 5200 for around the windows. Hopefully the dicor lap sealant in the roof is sufficient for the time being. I may do the etenabond myself if I ever get the chance.
2008 27' MB

Reply #15
Dicor lap sealant is a good product; as with any other sealant, checking the MSDS, using the product for appropriate applications, and thorough surface prep are critical to success.

EPDM Lap Sealants | Dicor ProductsDicor Products

Plenty of sealants and like products contain VOCs, so checking the MSDS and taking the proper precautions, e.g., wearing the appropriate mask when using a product, is necessary. Geocel contains tetrachloroethylene; anyone using this product might want to understand its properties and potential associated risks before choosing to use it.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=264&tid=48

As always, YMMV!

2003 TK has a new home