Skip to main content
Topic: Tires: Michelin Defender LTX LT225/75R16 (Read 566 times) previous topic - next topic
Tires: Michelin Defender LTX LT225/75R16
I had damaged tire valve extender and I stopped by American Tires to inquire about valve extender and I ended up buying 6 new tires.  I bought 6 Michelin defender tires for 1600.00 at American Tires.   Hope it was  a good choice.  American Tires also sold me on their warranty which replaces if there are puncture or damages, other than vandalism, they ll replace the tire if they can't fix it.    I usually buy tires at Costco, but Costco will not work on RVs.  Let me know your thoughts and prices, and opinions... I m planning a month long trip this summer , and I didn't want to deal with tire issues on the road.   
2003 RB

Re: Tires: Michelin Defender LTX LT225/75R16
Reply #1
My LD is almost ready for new shoes, and Michelin Defenders are the tires that I will have installed.  All 6 will be "fresh" (a manufacturing date within 2 months or less of installation), date-matched, and mounted without removing the long valves.

Just a reminder: remove the wheel covers before taking a rig to a shop to have any type of work done that involves wheels/tires. Later 4-hole wheel LDs have "snap on" wheel covers, so removing them before service may not be as critical as with the wheel covers on 8-hole wheel earlier LD models, attached with two "nuts" and their covers.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Hi Soofligo, I have had tires installed at Costco, but I think that depends on the location and available facilities. The last set of Michelin I got as a result of the recall, I had them installed at Discount Tires, as American Tires is called in San Diego. Make sure your spare tire is up to 'snuff' also. A friend got a used 2001 MB, and the spare had at least 5 years of wear on it, and had been put away in the storage compartment. It was 11 years old and unusable. (I guess in an absolute emergency it might have yielded enough miles to get to a tire store....)  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Ditto on using Costco. They can’t fit an RV into their bays, but talking with the tire manager (Culver City) got a pre-opening appointment to have six tires mounted on the apron in front of their bays. I don’t think there’s a pro or con policy re RVs at Costco, but it’s at the discretion of the local manager. One does, however, have to keep an eye on the work to make sure they don’t try to use the differential as a jacking point! 🤨. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #4
"...keep an eye on the work to make sure they don't try to use the differential as a jacking point!"
----
The proper jacking points for front and rear are illustrated in the Ford manual, at least, they are in my 2003's manual. At a Ladeze a few years ago, this was one of the little gems we covered in a "RTFM" session!  ;)

Jon's comment is "on point"!  It's up to the rig owner to make sure the tire shop knows where to position the jack, both front and rear; don't assume the installer knows, because, in my experience, they often do not!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
The Michelin Defender LTX is the latest version a long line of all-season RV tires.
A very large percentage of LD owners use this tire with good results.

The prices can be good at Costco but I prefer using America's Tires due to their widespread dealer network and excellent warranty service. 
They will price match.
This may sound like a broken record but learn how to remove and replace the chrome wheel covers and before having the tires replaced, TAKE them off. Tire shops workers have no idea how they work and damage them all the time.
Same goes for extended stems. Warn the manager of their presence before and keep reminding him.
America's Tire broke one of our extended rear stems and eventually replaced it.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
The Michelin Defender LTX is the latest version a long line of all-season RV tires.
A very large percentage of LD owners use this tire with good results.

The prices can be good at Costco but I prefer using America's Tires due to their widespread dealer network and excellent warranty service. 
They will price match.
This may sound like a broken record but learn how to remove and replace the chrome wheel covers and before having the tires replaced, TAKE them off. Tire shops workers have no idea how they work and damage them all the time.
Same goes for extended stems. Warn the manager of their presence before and keep reminding him.
America's Tire broke one of our extended rear stems and eventually replaced it.

Larry
I had front brakes  put on mine before driving it 1500 miles home and when I got home the passenger side wheel cover was MIA. Apparently it didn't get put back on properly. Lesson learned.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #7
Here's a data point from just last week.
Discount Tire was $1330 for 6, mounted and balanced, Alcoa wheels.  I watched them do it, and they were careful and methodical.  I did state to the manager: "I know you have to train new guys on a ongoing basis, but I would prefer this sale not be one of those learning experiences."  He understood my concerns, and ended up doing the tire mounting himself. I end up going there a lot for our 'fleet'.

They earned their install money, primarily due to difficulty in getting the dual wheels apart -- one steel, one aluminum.  I'll need to remove them soonish to apply anti-seize (?) to the mating surfaces...  I did take the lug nut covers off and kept them at home.

Heading out tomorrow, and I'll have some time over the weekend to install the TPMS, etc.

2000 Front Lounge

Reply #8
Anyone familiar with Sailun tires? 

There have been several discussions about these tires on the Escapees Discussion Forum and people really seem to like them.

Sailun Tires Homepage
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Just had six new tires put on the LD last week.  Used a local tire shop that is part of a "Tires Pro" group.  Had the Michelin Defenders installed, date code matched, invoice as follows:

6 tires at 209.95 each = 1259.70
PA tire tax  =  6.00
Old tire disposal = 18.00
High speed spin balance and labor = 72.00
One lug nut replaced = 11.95

Total = 1462.97
2011 MB

Reply #10
Check out the Firestone TransForce.  Had Michelins for the first two sets.  When the belts separated on both front tires 2,000 miles from home I put the TransForce tires on as I would have needed to wait two days for Michelins.

The TransForce tires are amazing!  Much better ride and handling and less expensive.  Now have them on all six wheels.  Love them.
2003 MB

Reply #12
When we needed tires last year. We went to Discount tire with plans on buying the Michelins. We ended up with the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A all seasons. They were recommended by the store manager. BF Goodrich tires are owned by Michelin. We have been very pleased with our purchase. They ride nice and are quite. And were less expensive then the Michelins. 
Lynn and Lori

Reply #13
An FYI for any Bay Area LD owners on the board: If your rig is due for new tires, front end work, and/or alignment, you might want to check out Mike Sanchez's Tire Outlet Auto Service, 901 South Second St., San Jose.  (They also do brakes, but I don't have experience with that service.)

Welcome to Tire Outlet Auto Service. Tire Outlet San Jose, CA (408) 294-1836

This shop installed my previous set of Michelins 5 years ago; Mike complied with all my requests, including  tire "freshness" and not removing the long valves from the wheels when they de-mounted the old tires and installed the new ones. They did a conscientious job at that time, so I returned to the shop for 6 new Michelins (matched dates of 2718), replacement of the ball joints, and an alignment.  Round 2 was equally satisfactory; Mike wants his customers to be happy and he and his crew work hard to do the jobs right.  ;)

The shop access is a bit tight, but do-able, and one does pay Bay Area prices, but the work to be done and all the costs are discussed in detail with the customer in advance.

Finding a good tire shop (and alignment shop, and brake shop, and mechanics, and appliance services, and a lot of other things) can be difficult; when I find a good one, they get my business.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
I have been very happy with my Toyo Open Country tires that were installed by Les Schwab about 5 1/2 years ago.  They handle well, were more affordable than the Michelin's and Les Schwab provides excellent ongoing service.  They also did a good job installing my Tireman extended valves at the same time.  I have been very pleased, BUT I don't have a ton of miles on them.

I'll be replacing them once again soon based on age.

Mike S. 
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #15
soofligo writes about tire valve extender. Sure hope he and everyone understand that extenders are a time bomb. Perhaps he meant long stem valves.

Had an early morning appointment at Costco. The rig was on the lift and things were going well until the manager came to work and had a heart attack. They finished in the parking lot.

I wonder about names like soofligo. Is that a privacy thing?

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
A "P.S." reminder to remove the wheel covers before having the shop do any work involving the wheels, e.g., tires, installing configured valves, brakes, bearings, whatever.

This is particularly important if the LD is older and uses wheel covers that attach with lug extenders/acorn nuts. Not only does it save time at the shop, but wheel cover removal by the rig owner before service may save the wheel cover itself .

The "snap on" (or hammer on or kick on) covers may be easier to deal with, but very few shops have a clue of how to remove or replace the older wheel covers, and more than a few owners have had wheel covers damaged, fall off, or reattached with an impact wrench because the person who did the wheel work didn't know what to do with the things!   :o
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
soofligo writes about tire valve extender. Sure hope he and everyone understand that extenders are a time bomb. Perhaps he meant long stem valves.

Had an early morning appointment at Costco. The rig was on the lift and things were going well until the manager came to work and had a heart attack. They finished in the parking lot.

I wonder about names like soofligo. Is that a privacy thing?

I assume it stands for: "So off I go" 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #18
“I have been very happy with my Toyo Open Country tires that were installed by Les Schwab about 5 1/2 years ago.  They handle well, were more affordable than the Michelin's and Les Schwab provides excellent ongoing service.  They also did a good job installing my Tireman extended valves at the same time.  I have been very pleased, BUT I don't have a ton of miles on them.

I'll be replacing them once again soon based on age.

Mike S.”

The Toyo’s are what was on my rig when we bought it. They looked almost new but were close to 5 years old. I thought it drove pretty good with them. Then on I think our third trip we had one blowout big time. Tire disintegrated. Replaced all 6 six tires with the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A’s. The ride and handling improved a bunch. Now instead of saying it’s drives pretty good I think it drives great.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #19
"Replaced all 6 six tires with the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A's."

I used to run BFGoodrich on my '77 International Scout. Great tires for that use, had no complaints.

Went through several sets of Michelins on the LD. Had early sidewall checking and one blowout. Switched to Goodyear G947s and will probably never buy anything else again. Solid ride, no squirming, holds pressure. Purchased 1st set from Chuck 'The Tireman' and current set from America's Tire.   ;D   8) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!