Skip to main content
Topic: Advice on using campground's fresh water hose or disconnect & use your own?  (Read 378 times) previous topic - next topic
Advice on using campground's fresh water hose or disconnect & use your own?
Hi folks!
   A question in my mind that came up after we left Live Oak last month, when filling up the fresh water tank at Lake Cachuma:  there was already a white hose connected to the spigot for their fresh water.  Honestly, I'd never encountered that before, when filling up there's been only the spigot with no hose attached, so used my own.
    Should I "trust" that white hose that countless others have been using to fill and hope they didn't do anything "improper" with it, inadvertently or otherwise?  Or is it good practice just to unscrew their hose, use your own, then put theirs back on?   To be safe, that's what I did at Cachuma and also later that week at Morro Bay: I disconnected theirs and used my own hose (with inline filter of course)  
   Appreciate others' thoughts on this, thanks!   Heeding Larry Wade's advice, I no longer use any city water hookups and rely on the tank for all our water, so want to keep it clean as possible!
 Daryl (getting ready to leave tomorrow for the Great Northwest for a month :-)

Daryl 
2007  26.5’ mid-bath, “Blu Tent“
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
  (previously 2006 23.5’ front lounge)
SKP #145689

Re: Advice on using campground's fresh water hose or disconnect & use your own?
Reply #1
"Should I 'trust' that white hose that countless others have been using to fill and hope they didn't do anything 'improper' with it, inadvertently or otherwise?"

I wouldn't!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Daryl,

I would use my own “fresh water” hose. And disconnect the one hanging. Like you, I’ve never encountered a fresh water hose already in place. You could always ask the campground host as to whether they set it up as a courtesy. Wouldn’t that be nice?

Keeping it fresh.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Daryl, I can only say a big "DITTO" to others' advice to use your own hoses for any and all purposes! I've seen some pretty disgusting hose-related stuff done at fresh water spigots and dump stations!  :o
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
I know where my water hose has been, what's been in it and how much I can trust it.
When storing, I drain it and connect the M & F ends to avoid 'homeless critters'.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #5
Joel said, “When storing, I drain it and connect the M & F ends to avoid 'homeless critters'.”

Same here. Not only does it keep things out, but it also keeps what little water remaining...in. That makes all the difference in the world to maintaining a dry storage compartment and one free of “black water” run off. The black water hose is also stored in a large black trash bag as well. Inside that bag is also a separately bagged “Flush King”.

A place for everything and everything in its place...

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #6
It's unanimous-- thanks, Andy, Kent, Joan & Joel, for validating just what I was thinking:  Absolutely, I know where my hose has been and glad I went the more cautious route, using my own and will always do so.  (I also do the connecting the ends together to avoid critters :-)
  Okay, now back to getting things ready to go!   
Daryl
Daryl 
SKP #145689

Reply #7
Daryl, you're being too cautious.  What could go wrong?   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HCd31GDl70
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
To answer your question directly - I only use my own.

Having spent most of my adult life working in the medical field I think I can safely say that most all folk I've watched at dump and water stations have NO clue or idea what clean much less sterile  technique is. 

I carry a major brand sanitizer to apply on all drinking water connections - both mine and the source.   Its an old habit because you never know what has happens to your equipment when you are not looking.    Odds are nothing but .....    One can not be to careful. 
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #9
Yes, Greg, exactly what was running thru my mind when I first saw the white hose already hanging there— no thank you! :-)
   Cozy in the Blu Tent, having coffee in beautiful South Beach State Park outside of Newport, OR,  gray & drizzly Northwest morning but expected to clear this afternoon.  
   Then we’re off to Fort Clatsop later today  to tour the replica outpost where Lewis & Clark wintered 1804-05, then we’ll stay overnight at nearby Fort Stevens. 
     And tomorrow, the Olympic peninsula, camping at Kalaloch! 
Daryl
Daryl 
SKP #145689

Reply #10
then we'll stay overnight at nearby Fort Stevens. 
Watch out for the bicycles.  When we've stayed there, it seems everyone over the age of three was on one!
which is why we called if Ft. Bicycle.

Stop off at the battery exhibit - one of the only places in the lower 48 that was shelled by the enemy in WWII.
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #11
"Then we're off to Fort Clatsop later today  to tour the replica outpost where Lewis & Clark wintered 1804-05, then we'll stay overnight at nearby Fort Stevens."
---
Daryl, I hope that the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria is on your "must visit" list!  ;)

Columbia River Maritime Museum | Astoria, Oregon
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Looking at their website, that sounds like a great museum, Joan! I hope I can  visit sometime.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
It IS an excellent museum and an absolute must see if you are in the area!
Houn's Journal: IRON MEN IN WOODEN SHIPS
— Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #14
Daryl, I hope that the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria is on your "must visit" list!  ;)
Columbia River Maritime Museum | Astoria, Oregon

We have been there twice and each visit was different with changing exhibits.
Definitely one of the better marine museums.
One could spend many days wandering the area around the mouth of the Columbia River, on both sides of the river, and not see it all.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze