Skip to main content
Topic: Well, THAT was a surprise. (transmission replacement) (Read 310 times) previous topic - next topic
Well, THAT was a surprise. (transmission replacement)
In mid-April, heading north on 395 in CA to Riley, OR, then west to Eugene, OR, then east to Jackson, WY, I noticed a developing, worsening hiccup in the drive system.  It only happened several minutes after starting out, with the engine temperature somewhere between 140 and 180, and climbing, and the rig under load - either accelerating or climbing a grade.  For a fraction of a second, it would feel as if the engine would totally cut out.  When it resumed, in a second or two it would do it again, repeating several times, then running smoothly for the rest of the day.  Not bad gas - I went through a number of tankfuls.  Probably not a fouled injector, because I got smooth running, good mpg, smooth idling and good power the entire drive, once that bucking passed during warmup.  I had no warning codes showing on my UltraGauge.

When I got to Jackson, it was bad enough that I took it into a reliable service place I found a few years ago.  When I described the symptoms, they said, "That's strange".  I thought so too.

They put their reader on the system to check for codes - nothing.  They theorized about various sensors, throttle control mechanisms that change their operation as the engine warms, and so on.

I slept in their yard that night.

Next morning, we took a test drive, with their tech guy monitoring engine operation on his ODBII device, much more capable than my UltraGauge.  As we headed down the street, I said I thought the bucking might start somewhere around the upcoming signal.  I missed by about 200~300 yards.  The rig began bucking, the worst yet.  The tech guy said, "I'm getting codes!"  He didn't know what they meant, until he did some research, but he had apparently gotten a number of codes.

An hour later, the manager came out to me with a hangdog expression.  He said they had some bad news. 

I was immediately thinking, new engine?

He said the codes were a mixed bag.  Some related to the torque converter.  Some were the transmission shift points.  One was a mis-match between two RPM rates.  None related to the engine.  He had checked with two transmission shops that he worked with.  Both agreed that the torque converter was gone and there was a good chance of damage to the trans itself from those surges and bucking and the stresses that was putting on the trans components.

I was doubtful.  It felt so much like an engine misfiring to me, but sometimes you just have to put your trust in people.  They ordered a rebuilt transmission for me.

When they put it in, they started the engine and ran it to be sure all the fluids were where they should be, then took a test drive.  I got to the shop a little before they came back.  When they pulled in, they were smiling.  They reported no bucking and no codes, but said they wanted me to stay another night so they could do another test drive in the morning with a completely cold engine.

I liked that.

Next morning, I drove it while the tech guy monitored.  We got to the signal - no problems.  Out the other side, no problems.  Drove around a bit then returned to the shop, with the rig driving smoothly all the way.  I paid my bill, hooked up my TOAD and drove to the campground I would be staying at for a while.  Again, there were no problems.

So, it looks like the issue really was something with the trans and/or the torque converter.  It could have been worse.  This could have failed far from any decent service facility, leaving me stranded.  It being the transmission was a surprise, but I am feeling relieved that I seem to be OK again.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Re: Well, THAT was a surprise.
Reply #1
I certainly agree with Ken that this "surprise" happened at a time and place that allowed him to remain with his LD and to get it repaired by a trusted shop.  In the middle of nowhere and/or in the middle of the night might have had a completely different outcome.  Ken must have good karma! 

I like to mention that he sounds more calm about the "surprise" than I would have!    At any rate, it's good news that Ken's LD is whole and that he is back on the road.

And finally, this recent experience reinforces the idea recently shared by other LDOs that we need to be financially and emotionally prepared for the surprises that seem to present themselves while traveling in a RV.  What can I say ... JOY!  LOL

Reply #2
Ken,

While you did mention that the issue you noticed occurred in route to your destination. What I am uncertain of is how far from your departure point (home?) were you when you first became aware of the problem?

Larry’s recent engine trouble brings to light the “hindsight” conundrum. Do we postpone our travel plans or hope for the best. It is a frightening proposition that what seems minor or perplexing can end so very badly.

I agree with Ed. As you retell your tale, you appear to have maintained a very stoic approach to an issue that could easily put others hearts deep into their stomach. Nicely done.

For many of us Wyoming is a long way from home. That’s a thousand mile drive for me and if I find myself in Jackson Hole, which I will in time, I would appreciate knowing where to take my LD if necessary. Would you be so kind as to share the name of your chosen service center? This inquiring mind would certainly like to know.

It’s good that you managed to overcome this ordeal at what could have been a much higher cost. Thank you for sharing this lesson. Money in the bank for many of us.

Safe and successful travels to us all.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
There are many large, multi-pin connectors interconnecting various drivetrain and chassis wiring harnesses. My FIRST guess with these symptoms would be poor connection in one of these. At this point, it will no longer be possible to tell if a poor electrical contact issue, solved incidentally by replacing the transmission, was at the root of this problem. However, most transmission problems will display by visible deterioration of the fluid, or metal shavings, etc. I hope they drained and examined the fluid, at least, before deciding to replace the whole assembly.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Well, THAT was a surprise. (transmission replacement)
Reply #4
Ken--

Sorry for the defugilty, but I so appreciate when people share their experiences so that others may learn.  When I was just launching I remember a thread about the emergency-brake-bone-is-connected-to-the-transmission-bone & the misery of replacing the tranny & that even some Ford techs don't know to check that reservoir, so I made sure checking it was on the work order.

Better luck on the rest of your journey.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #5
What were the miles on the old tranny, Ken, if you don't mind me asking?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Kent, I fulltime, so home is wherever I am.  I travel a loop, wintering in southern NM, spring in OR, and summer in WY.  This year, I added a side trip to the mothership to have my roof checked (it is ok).  I first noticed the miss as I was leaving Lee Vining, CA, headed north.

Steve, the first thing they did when I got there was to check for codes, then they went over all the wiring harnesses looking for anything loose or tarnished.  They unplugged and re-connected every socket, or so it seemed to me, listening and watching in the back.  The problem recurred the next morning on the test drive.  The codes they got then did not suggest any electrical issues.  I don't think they drained the fluid or checked it, but then, I have had it changed regularly, and the fluid only had 15K on it.  Plus, my UltraGauge monitors my trans temperature and it was never above 225. 

HiLola, I had just under 78,000 miles on the trans, all but the first 3000 of which were towing, putting the load on the trans at 18,000 lbs, and most of the towing was in mountainous areas.  Honestly, I feel like I got my money's worth.  Time-wise, I was at twice the warranty limit.  Mileage-wise I was at 80% of the limit.  All of that driving was with the system loaded to 80% of the GVWR.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB