Skip to main content
Topic: Onan 4000 microquiet starting issues  (Read 148 times) previous topic - next topic
Onan 4000 microquiet starting issues
Me and the wife just brout Home a 2000 26 foot lazy daze last night! Snagged it in North Carolina! Got the Normal Onan 4000 microquiet.

Overal the camper is in fantastic condition, we visited multiple times and combed it over thoroughly before purchase.  That being said the generator will not start which is something we had to accept beforehand.

Oil was changed in 2016 on the genset but we are unsure how much it has ran since, coach is full of gas but when the start button is depressed we can hear the solenoid click bit the motor doesn’t turn over. Also with multiple attempts we let the smoke out of it somewhere!!!

I read online these things can get partially locked up from sitting, my plan is to try and manually turn the motor over with the cooling fan but as far as the smoke is it possible the starter was just heating up and burning insulation from being locked in place? Should I go ahead and drop the gen and go through it at this point? Not trying to set my pretty lazy daze on fire!!
2000 RB

Re: Onan 4000 microquiet starting issues
Reply #1
Here's a link to another ongoing discussion within this forum that may be helpful.

ONAN EMERALD PLUS 4000 GENSET
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #2
Congrats on the new to you home LD 🚐
May you have many enjoyable years and best of luck with the generator problems
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #3
Got it fixed! Turns out it’s an emerald, it was locked up from sitting. Got the fan turning and it cranked right up.  Can anyone direct me to a thread about resealing the roof/end caps??

This is a zero leak RV and we’d like to keep it that way! Got some definite age on the sealing so we want to address that first thing!
2000 RB

Reply #4
Check the breaker switch. It’s a toggle switch down to the bottom right of the start button. Flip it back and forth. Might try starting flipped forward and flipped back.

Good luck, Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon