Skip to main content
Topic: Factory Touch-Up Paint (Read 283 times) previous topic - next topic
Factory Touch-Up Paint
I had ordered some DuPont touch-up paint and activator from the Factory sometime last year.  The activator hardened in the bottle so today I tried to order another bottle.  Todd advised me by email that the Factory will no longer mail either.  Now I'll try to find a local supplier.  At any rate, not good news for those of us far away from the Factory.

Re: Factory Touch-Up Paint
Reply #1
I am facing the same dilemma. I need touch up paint for my green and white 2007 MB but I was also told the factory would not mail it. A friend was going down to LA and was going to pick some up for me but unfortunately it did not work out. Now I am not sure how I will get the paint. If anyone has any suggestions I am open and if anyone is traveling from the factory up through Oregon and could bring me some I could meet them and it would be wonderful!

Stephany Smith
2007 MB
2007 MB

Reply #2
I sense a business opportunity here . . .  ;D
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
With the correct paint codes. Any auto paint supply store should be able to match the color. A friend of mine that paints says that one of our local auto paint stores will even put paint in a spray can for you.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #4
With the correct paint codes. Any auto paint supply store should be able to match the color. A friend of mine that paints says that one of our local auto paint stores will even put paint in a spray can for you.

I did that a few years ago for the anniversary gold after trying numerous bottles of different touch-up. Anyway, they weren't close and I gave up.

Jim

Reply #5
I did that a few years ago for the anniversary gold after trying numerous bottles of different touch-up. Anyway, they weren't close and I gave up.

Jim

Yeah sometimes trying to match older paint can be frustrating. Paint that is a decade old has most likely had some fading so getting a exact match could be difficult. Gold is also notoriously a hard color to match. I had a bad scratch on my SUV and got factory touch up paint. Wasn't even close to matching.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #6

Paints age and fade over time, making having matched paint mixed difficult . Even with the right color codes, the new paint may be quite different than the original. My original LD touch-up paints are now different than the LD's actual colors today.

When making larger repairs and needing paint,  I remove a storage compartment door, that is the right color, and take it to the auto paint store, to have it matched. Spray Max is the brand  commonly used for custom mixes..
Normally, I get a 2-part 2K paint in a spray can. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's safety recommendations and use the proper respirator .

Here is a video explaining how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mrD21NeSTE

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Excellent Larry...………….
2007 30' TB

Reply #8
A good experienced auto paint supplier can match your color.  I took a small door panel (the refridge hatch) to my local supplier, left it with them overnight and they matched my colors perfectly.  Find a company that has been in business for a while.  Make sure they have a computer system that can "read" the color, and a tech who knows how to make adjustments as needed.   I used Painters Supply in Jackson MI.  They have a few other locations in Michigan and Ohio.
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.