Skip to main content
Topic: New Lazy Daze owner with (more) questions (Read 1386 times) previous topic - next topic
New Lazy Daze owner with (more) questions

I bought a couple of weeks ago a 2001 26 1/2 Mid-Bath Lazy Daze with only 54,500 miles in Washington and drove it down to Arizona in four days. This is my first RV and the trip from Washington to Arizona was the first time that I traveled with such a vehicle. I think I bought a very well maintained motorhome from a woman who owned it for 12 years (as second owner). I have a long and detailed list of maintenance and repair procedures. It includes three visits to the Lazy Daze factory, the last one in 2017 when the roof got a complete overhaul.

Now the Lazy Daze is parked in my driveway in the Arizona sun (yesterday we had for the first time this year 95°F), waiting for the adventures ahead. My plan is to move into the Lazy Daze full-time later this year and spend the next couple of years traveling - mainly boondocking - through the United States. In two weeks I want to go onto a 10-day trip to California and live in the RV while attending a 7-day seminar.

When I started to look for an RV (and at RV's) it became soon clear to me that what I would love most to have was a Lazy Daze, and now I happily own one! At first I wanted to have a rear-bath "party model" with a couch and two chairs in the front. Now I'm very happy that I have a mid-bath model. On my trip back to Arizona I slept very well on one of the couches in the back. A width of 36" is absolutely enough for me and I liked very much that I could close the door to the "automotive part" of the vehicle. It's almost like having a separate bedroom with the additional benefit of an attached bathroom.

Well, let's get to the questions - of which I have many (in-spite of watching many videos and reading many articles). I will start with some questions that I think are most important and then by and by add more (I hope it is OK to put  many questions into one thread). And I sure hope that I will get some help and information here.

1.) Batteries, battery switch, shore power. I have two 'Interstate Deep Cycle Battery GC2-XHD Flooded Lead Acid 6V 232Ah' batteries. They are about three years old. The vehicle is now standing since more than three weeks in my driveway. The battery level is still at "Good." The batteries as such look very good and clean. Questions: When, if at all, should I turn the house batteries off? Should I have the rig connected to shore power?

2.) Leveling. How level is level enough? The previous owner used for 12 years nothing but two small spirit levels (one on the driver door, one on the dashboard), and the refrigerator is still working good. I don't think it is possible to level an RV with these tiny devices always perfectly. I bought now a round level that I placed in front of the fridge. A picture is attached here. Is what this level is showing level enough, or would that destroy the fridge quickly? (The fridge is not running right now.)

3.) Tire pressure. I need - for now - a ball park number for the tire pressure. I will be using the RV almost always alone. I guess I will have an average amount of stuff in the vehicle. What tire pressure should I use for now? Do the dual tires in the back both get the same tire pressure? Is it a good idea to have an automatic tire inflator (like this one: Amazon.com: Audew Portable Air Compressor Pump, Auto Digital Tire Inflator,...) so that I can adjust the tire pressure early in the morning when the tires are still cool? The vehicle has Michelin tires in excellent condition.

4.) CB radio (not so important but kind of interesting). The vehicle came with the original CB radio. This radio is right now not working because the antenna cable broke directly at the antenna. Not a big deal to repair. However, I'm wondering whether CB radio still has any use and value at this time. Are other people here using their CB radio, and if so, what for?

5.) Converter. The vehicle survived the last 17 years with the original single-stage Parallax (Magnetek) 7345 converter. However, I have been reading in several places that it is at least good if not important to upgrade to a modern multi-stage converter. How important is this? If I want to do that, does it matter that I also want to install a solar system with 400-500 watts? Does a solar system change what kind of converter should be installed?

I think that's it for now. I will be grateful for all replies.

Greetings - Nick

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: New Lazy Daze owner with questions
Reply #1
Welcome Nick! Congratulations on getting a LD! Hope you get lots of help with your questions, post some pics of your rig when time permits.

You may get some answers by using the search drop down menu. 🐯👍
Nov 2023, 2012 31’ IB, white/green swoops & swirles, 2009 Mini Cooper, racing green convertible, toad 🐸

We ordered white/gray  2018 27' mid bath 1/3/18 and we are hoping for a July 16th 2019 delivery, sold, and tried a Lithium Travato, wish  I would have kept the Lazy Daze 27’

Reply #2

Welcome to the cult.

1. The LED readout for battery and the tanks is, at best , a guess on the battery's actual condition .
If boon docking is in your future, a battery capacity meter should be on you list of must haves.
While it's OK to leave fully charged batteries sit for a few weeks, you should top them off occasionally.
Some stock converters overcharge the batteries, while others undercharge them.
If you install a 'smart converter' it should be fine to leave the rig plugged in all the time.

2. Dometic says to level the rig so that your feel comfortable. I try to get it as close as possible and
have used the two-sprits-levels-on-the-dash-and-door method for 25 years and find it very convenient and effective.

3.  Start with 75-psi. Load the rig and get it weighted ASAP, so you can find and set the manufacturer's specified tire pressures.

4.  The CB, IMO, is just about worthless, the only time we ever use it is at LD Caravan Club's GTGs. They use the CB for morning announcements .
When caravanning with others, we use FRS hand-held radios, they work much better than the CB.

Your 2001 has a hidden parking brake, mounted on the rear of the transmission, that has its own oil reservoir.
Next to nobody, including about 99% of mechanics, know that it is there.
Parking brake oil fill | Flickr
Have it checked and do so routinely, it can be really expensive to repair if it runs out of oil.
A failure can easily also destroy the transmission, about an $8000 repair bill.

5. Already answered.

Have fun.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
3. Tire pressure:
I carry this one from Home Depot .  It's 120V so I run the generator if needed.  It's small but relatively fast.  I'd suggest looking into a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) to keep an eye on things.  Get one with a temperature sensor.  If you think you might tow, get one that can handle 10 sensors.

Since you're in Ariz,  search the forum for info on Quartzite in January.

You started out right - you bought one and brought it home   ;D

joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Congratulations and welcome.  You noted your tires are in excellent condition.  Just remember, especially for RV tires, to check the date codes on the tires.  RV tires should be replaced at age 5 or 6 no matter how good the tread looks or how few miles are on them.  Also, change the tires if you discover any cracks in the side-walls.

Good luck with your LD.
2011 MB

Reply #5
Welcome, Nick, and congratulations!

I think all your questions have been answered but I'll just add this:

2. Regarding leveling, I would park the rig so the installed levels show you are level. Then, with the fridge off, I would place your round bullseye level inside the freezer compartment to verify the bubble is centered (or very close). If not, adjust your spirit levels as you want that fridge as level as possible.

4. Concur that the CB radio is not worth much except for nostalgia and listening to truckers if you're bored while driving. That being said, it could be a back-up form of communications for cell phone and FRS radio.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride and we look forward to hearing about future adventures!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
2.) Leveling. How level is level enough? ... I bought now a round level that I placed in front of the fridge. A picture is attached here. Is what this level is showing level enough, or would that destroy the fridge quickly? (The fridge is not running right now.)

According to the picture you posted, the bubble is almost entirely within the inner circle.  Your refrigerator will be fine.

Do the dual tires in the back both get the same tire pressure?

Absolutely!  In fact, all tires on the same axle should be inflated to the same pressure.

Linda Hylton

Reply #7
I bought a couple of weeks ago a 2001 26 1/2 Mid-Bath Lazy Daze with only 54,500 miles in Washington and drove it down to Arizona in four days. This is my first RV and the trip from Washington to Arizona was the first time that I traveled with such a vehicle. I think I bought a very well maintained motorhome from a woman who owned it for 12 years (as second owner). I have a long and detailed list of maintenance and repair procedures. It includes three visits to the Lazy Daze factory, the last one in 2017 when the roof got a complete overhaul.

Now the Lazy Daze is parked in my driveway in the Arizona sun (yesterday we had for the first time this year 95°F), waiting for the adventures ahead. My plan is to move into the Lazy Daze full-time later this year and spend the next couple of years traveling - mainly boondocking - through the United States. In two weeks I want to go onto a 10-day trip to California and live in the RV while attending a 7-day seminar.

When I started to look for an RV (and at RV's) it became soon clear to me that what I would love most to have was a Lazy Daze, and now I happily own one! At first I wanted to have a rear-bath "party model" with a couch and two chairs in the front. Now I'm very happy that I have a mid-bath model. On my trip back to Arizona I slept very well on one of the couches in the back. A width of 36" is absolutely enough for me and I liked very much that I could close the door to the "automotive part" of the vehicle. It's almost like having a separate bedroom with the additional benefit of an attached bathroom.

Well, let's get to the questions - of which I have many (in-spite of watching many videos and reading many articles). I will start with some questions that I think are most important and then by and by add more (I hope it is OK to put  many questions into one thread). And I sure hope that I will get some help and information here.

1.) Batteries, battery switch, shore power. I have two 'Interstate Deep Cycle Battery GC2-XHD Flooded Lead Acid 6V 232Ah' batteries. They are about three years old. The vehicle is now standing since more than three weeks in my driveway. The battery level is still at "Good." The batteries as such look very good and clean. Questions: When, if at all, should I turn the house batteries off? Should I have the rig connected to shore power?

2.) Leveling. How level is level enough? The previous owner used for 12 years nothing but two small spirit levels (one on the driver door, one on the dashboard), and the refrigerator is still working good. I don't think it is possible to level an RV with these tiny devices always perfectly. I bought now a round level that I placed in front of the fridge. A picture is attached here. Is what this level is showing level enough, or would that destroy the fridge quickly? (The fridge is not running right now.)

3.) Tire pressure. I need - for now - a ball park number for the tire pressure. I will be using the RV almost always alone. I guess I will have an average amount of stuff in the vehicle. What tire pressure should I use for now? Do the dual tires in the back both get the same tire pressure? Is it a good idea to have an automatic tire inflator (like this one: Amazon.com: Audew Portable Air Compressor Pump, Auto Digital Tire Inflator,...) so that I can adjust the tire pressure early in the morning when the tires are still cool? The vehicle has Michelin tires in excellent condition.

4.) CB radio (not so important but kind of interesting). The vehicle came with the original CB radio. This radio is right now not working because the antenna cable broke directly at the antenna. Not a big deal to repair. However, I'm wondering whether CB radio still has any use and value at this time. Are other people here using their CB radio, and if so, what for?

5.) Converter. The vehicle survived the last 17 years with the original single-stage Parallax (Magnetek) 7345 converter. However, I have been reading in several places that it is at least good if not important to upgrade to a modern multi-stage converter. How important is this? If I want to do that, does it matter that I also want to install a solar system with 400-500 watts? Does a solar system change what kind of converter should be installed?

I think that's it for now. I will be grateful for all replies.

Greetings - Nick

"The previous owner used for 12 years nothing but two small spirit levels (one on the driver door, one on the dashboard)"

Nick, I've LDed for 16 years with this setup and can get pretty darn level with it. As Don M. always says, when the bathroom door doesn't swing to or fro, you are  usually level. I use this method, too.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Hey y'all. This is the 1st I've heard about a "hidden parking brake". I have a 1995 MB,26.5 ft. Do i have this mysterious device on mine? Thanks
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #9
Hey y'all. This is the 1st I've heard about a "hidden parking brake". I have a 1995 MB,26.5 ft. Do I have this mysterious device on mine? Thanks

Narrow body LDs do not have this issue.
When Ford started building E450 wide-bodies in 1996, they didn't have a wide axle with with a parking brake, so they went with a driveshaft parking brake, mounted on the rear of the transmission. They didn't update the axle until 2008.

Larry

Larry

Reply #10
Thanks for all the replies. It's really great! Some comments from my side:

1. & 5.) Converter. I want to replace the converter. Is bestconverter.com the best place to get a new converter?

2.) Leveling. Good to know that I do not have to be too paranoid about this.

3.) Tire pressure. The LD came with a TPMS (TireTraker TT-400C). It was not installed; the previous owner did not like it. I installed it to test it and it basically works. However, the sensors deliver slightly different pressure numbers than my tire pressure meter. I wrote to the company and they replied very quickly, saying the sensors have a +/- 3% variance and that such a system should not replace a quality tire gauge but rather monitor the variances or spikes/losses in pressure/temp while driving. Makes sense to me. For now I uninstalled the system; I will reinstall it later when I know which tire pressure I want to have and then note down what the "correct" reading from each sensor is.

I will add more questions later. I have a list of topics but it takes quite some time to bring them into meaningful sentences that can be understood and answered.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #11
Nick,

I 'm experiencing the same issue with my TPMS.  The slight variability appears to be normal.  I do use a very accurate, digital pressure gauge for setting my tire pressure.

Bob
2006 RK

Reply #12
Even the best tire pressure gauge will be off a little. Knowing that the gauge and the TPMS will be off a bit should not deter us from using them.

I was in the “Why don’t these things agree with one another” camp. I even fretted that from one tire to another I got slightly different readings from the monitor. I would reinstall the sensor, check pressure, remove sensor, add air install sensor... you get my drift.

It got to the point that I dreaded the obligatory “tire check” before each trip. It’s not that it is difficult, because it isn’t, it’s just that those numbers that I wanted to be perfectly matched are, most likely, unachievable. 

This is what prompted me to purchase the “flow through” adapters that I recently installed. Now it is a simple matter of adding air and checking pressure with my Tire Minder Digital Gauge. I’ll trust that number and let the TPMS monitor the tires. I’m not going to sweat it any more.

Life has gotten a lot easier now. 

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #13

Ok, here are some more questions:

6.) Leveling blocks. I got some Lego-like leveling blocks with the RV. Are these kind of blocks the best there is?  Is anybody using or has experience with the Anderson Camper Levelers (Amazon.com: Andersen Camper Leveler 3604: Automotive)? They appear to me to be easier to use (and Camco has a very similar product for a lower price) but I don't know whether they can be used with Class C motorhomes.

7.) Backup camera. I have a Garmin RV 770 navigator and could buy a Garmin backup camera for it. I am not so sure whether that is the best idea - I might not have the RV 770 in place when I want to back up. What about a wireless camera system that has the monitor in the rear view mirror? (I could used the 12 V cable for the CB radio to power it.) What are you guys and ladies using?

8.) Kitchen faucet. I would like to install a new kitchen faucet. Do I have to buy an "RV Kitchen Faucet" or is a normal faucet more or less the same? What is the difference between a special RV kitchen faucet and a normal kitchen faucet, if there is any?

2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: New Lazy Daze owner with (more) questions
Reply #14
Leveling blocks- I have used the Andersen leveler on an LD and a van.  I am giving mine away to a neighbor, because they work well on a trailer, but are more trouble than they are worth on a vehicle RV.  I also made nice wood levelers, but keep going back to the Lynx levelers, the lego style. More flexibility, easier to store, durable, and always available second hand. Don't forget on the LD to put levelers under the inside rear duals too. This is a dicey operation with the Andersens.

I replaced our kitchen faucet in our LD with a Home Depot sourced unit that fit right in and we like the pull down sprayer.  Getting the sink out was the challenge. While I had it out, it was easy to do some more upgrades in the area, like water pump, modern converter/charger, and nice surge protector.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #15
Thanks, Paul. I was hoping that it would be possible to replace the faucet with the sink in place. Seems not to be the case.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #17
Ok, here are some more questions:

7.) Backup camera. I have a Garmin RV 770 navigator and could buy a Garmin backup camera for it. I am not so sure whether that is the best idea - I might not have the RV 770 in place when I want to back up. What about a wireless camera system that has the monitor in the rear view mirror? (I could used the 12 V cable for the CB radio to power it.) What are you guys and ladies using?

We had a wireless backup camera and mirror mounted monitor installed. The write up is here.

Life's Little Adventures: Backup Camera Install & First Impressions

Jim

Reply #18
Yes indeed, it can be done in place. I took the SMK out to make the their work in the area easier. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #19
Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting more and more relaxed. Here the next question:

9.) Toilet paper. I'm reading different things about toilet paper - whether it is necessary to buy special RV toilet paper or whether septic safe toilet paper is good enough. I have both (from Camco and from Kirkland) and made a test with both of them in a water glass. After 24 hours in the water both looked the same and fell into different pieces the same when I took them out of the water.

What are you guys and ladies thinking and doing about toilet paper?
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #20
What are you guys and ladies thinking and doing about toilet paper?

Use whatever you want, it really doesn't make a big difference as long as you regularly flush the black tank, when dumping.
Holding tanks are just that, a storage container, they are not a sewage processing plant.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
For the safety of the septic systems used by most campgrounds please avoid these.

Are flushable bathroom products safe for sewer and septic systems? | MSU...

Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #22
IE toilet paper

I agree with Larry use what you want.   We are of a 'boater' mindset "if it doesn't go thru your body it doesn't go into the black tank".   We have a 'black' bag that all paper work gets tossed into.    The good side benefit is the so called standard black tank  full lights are more accurate ie without 50% plus or minus.   

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #23
For many years, we used Scott single-ply "septic safe" toilet paper.  We now use anything we want.  We do flush our toilet paper and have never had a problem doing so...just use plenty of water when flushing, particularly solids.  And NEVER, EVER leave your black tank open except when draining!
Linda Hylton

Reply #24
Well, some of us use whatever is cheapest or preferred, but we DO NOT put TP into the black tank...instead, I have a small covered flip top waste can  [with a liner inside it] next to the toilet where I place the soiled paper. Since I can be parked for days or even weeks at a time as I boondock, I have a fear of that layer of TP building up in the bottom of the tank; and believe me I've seen first hand what that can cause..not fun! To each their own.
At 10:23 AM 5/18/2018, you wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting more and more relaxed. Here the next question:
9.) Toilet paper. I'm reading different things about toilet paper, whether
 it is necessary to buy special RV toilet paper or whether septic safe toilet paper is good enough. I have both (from Camco and from Kirkland) and made a test with both of them in a water glass. After 24 hours in the water both looked the same and fell into different pieces the same when I took them out of the water.

What are you guys and ladies thinking and doing about toilet paper? 2001 26 1/2 Mid-Bath

You can reply to this email and have it posted as a topic reply.
LDO Links:

index.php?action=notifyboard;board=3.0 Regards, The Lazy Daze Owners Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."