Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Exterior Compartment Locks/Adding Thumb Locks (Read 1219 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing Exterior Compartment Locks/Adding Thumb Locks
Have any of you good folks replaced -- or, considered replacing -- the exterior cabinet locks?  I am thinking of replacing the stock lock barrel with ILH brand circular barrels that will use a round key.  I am also considering adding to the wider doors two thumb locks one each on either side of the key lock, and near the left and right  edges of each door, but prior to the door corner round.  When we get set up in a camp site, we like to unlocjk the cabinet doors, but still be able to keep them closed without carrying a key with us.  We tend to go in and out a lot for small or larger items, and thumb locks would allow that and also keep the doors shut and sealed when not in use.  When we are ready to hit the road we then also lock each cabinet.

Have anu of you filks done anything similar?  Any other thoughts?  I know there is one theory that thinks it is better to keep the existing everybody-has-one cabinet lock and key, thinking that thieves might also have the common key and therefore would not be inclined to pry open a locked cabinet door.  I suppose that might be a consideration, but. . .
2017 RB

Re: Replacing Exterior Cabinet Locks/Adding Thumb Locks
Reply #1
Ray, we’ve considered adding those locks too and just as you suggested. However I’ll admit to being “chicken” to do it. If you decide to do this project, please consider posting your results with pics.   And if I can summon the courage and do it, I’ll do the same.

Reply #3
yes, Ed.  I will post pix. 

Steve, the site does have excellent replacement guides and instructions.  Plus, I phoned them and also got additional information that was not on their site.  I find them very easy to work with.  A good, solid company.  The replacement will be relatively easy.  I am more concerned about drilling and adding the thumb locks.  I have built a block guide for my hole saw, and a backing board to prevent push-out.    I calibrated the block guide to be reversible so that all holes will be uniform in location.  I will use a Lenox hole saw with arbor, drilling from both sides.  That should cut a nice clean hole.  ILH sells a special backing plate with pointed nubs to place on the squared off sides of the barrel to prevent rotating in the bored round hole.

I will keep you all updated as I go.
2017 RB

Reply #4
Hi,
We replaced our ch751 locks with the style you are talking about.  Very easy job to do.  The reminder to order all keyed alike is spot on.  You will still only need one key to open all locks.  I like the idea of not everyone who owns any rv having a key to my storage areas.
tlbh2o
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #5
However I’ll admit to being “chicken” to do it.

The new locks mount the cam with a nut, instead of a screw. As a result, they project slightly more into the compartment. The only issue we had with our '04 was the battery compartment. I had to notch out the battery tray behind the lock for the door to close. It was easy to do, using a Dremel tool.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
The last post that I updated (Refer Thermo-Breaker fix)  reminded me that I never posted the final report and photos of my exterior cabinet lock upgrade project.  Ed asked that I do so, and I completely forgot.  My apologies, Ed!  Anyway, here is my final report (about 2-months late!):

I purchased all the necessary locking hardware from ILH in SoCal.  Great bunch of folks to work with.  I ordered cylinder-keyed locks for all exterior cabinets, including battery cabinet, gennie cabinet, and even water fill door.  All locks are keyed the same, and I have multiple extra keys.  I also ordered spring operated dust caps for all the keyed locks except the small water fill door.  On several of the larger cabinets I added thumb-locks.  When we arrive and set up, we simply unlock the central cylinder, then for the remainder of our stay we use the thumb locks to open or close the door, thus eliminating a need to use a key each time.  They are also auxiliary catches to retain the doors locked in case something heavy might shift in travel mode.
The entire install took about half a day, but I also prepped with my drill guide ahead of the install.  The drill guide I made is just a piece of 2x2 scrap oak I had lying around the shop.  I used my drill press to drill out the 3/4 guide holes at exactly 90 degree perpendicular to the cabinet face.  To actually drill each hole, I used a 3/4 inch hole saw with 1/4 inch arbor.Photos:

#2349 shows the drilling block clamped in place on the cabinet door. The new cylinder lock and dust cap are already in place, and I carefully measured where I wanted the new hole to be drilled.  Note the project supervisor making sure I do everything correctly.

#2350 shows a piece of scrap ply I used as backing to prevent any tear-out in case I failed to stop before the hole saw pushed through.

#2353 shows the hole saw guided in by the guide block.

#2354 shows me back drilling to create a nice clean hole.  The arbor is the only thing that pushed through from the front.  Insert the arbor into the hole on the other side and drill through to complete the 3/4 inch bore.  Nice clean cut with no tear-out at all.

#2355 finished door; central cylinder lock with 2-thumb locks on either side.

#2359 is the battery compartment.  No thumb locks necessary due to very infrequent entry to this compartment.

#2362 shows project manager giving final quality control inspection of front curb-side cabinet door.

#2366 close up shot of cylinder lock and spring dust cap.

2017 RB

Reply #7
Great job and well done. I’m very envious to say the least.  Btw, I think I found the locks Ray installed ...

http://www.iss4locks.com/  and CH751 RV REPLACEMENT LOCKS, CAM LOCKS, CAMLOCKS

And Ray, what were the measurements of the new ILH locks?   I've added these locks and the thumb locks to my recently  empty To-Do List.  Thanks in advance.

Reply #8
Nice job; do you hire out?  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
JCT

With the quality of work I see there I'd even pay the dog a salary.   :D 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Replacing Exterior Compartment Locks/Adding Thumb Locks
Reply #10
NOTE: Changed "Cabinet" to "Compartment" in subject line for more exact lookup language.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Ed wrote:  "Btw, I think I found the locks Ray installed ...

http://www.iss4locks.com/  and CH751 RV REPLACEMENT LOCKS, CAM LOCKS, CAMLOCKS

And Ray, what were the measurements of the new ILH locks?"

Yes, that is the correct link.  I don't recall the exact measurements (I believe 11/2 inch) of the new locks, but after ordering using the company's downloadable ordering guide, each lock fit perfectly.  I re-used the finger pulls from the original LD locks, and did not add finger pulls to the added thumb locks.  The only modification I did make was to the cam lock on the small water-fill door lock.  I did need to use my bench grinder to grind off about 3/16 inch off the end.  That took about 5 minutes.  The whole project wwas pretty easy  -- even for a guy like me!  

Oh, and someone asked about me hiring out my project supervisor.  Sorry, he's in semi-retirement.  Too bad, though.  He's a great supervisor.  Never says a word. . .
2017 RB

Reply #12
One thing to add regarding ordering your hardware from ILH.  I'm not sure why, put the company does not show on their web site the availability of a special four-prong backing plate that is necessary when adding the additional thumb locks.  You may need to phone them and specifically request that they include one with each thumb lock you order.  They will advise you that the prong plate will not work if the material that it is to bite into is metal.  Explain that the interior cover is a thin plastic material, not aluminum like is found on the exterior side of the door.  The pronged backing plates are needed to prevent the whole lock from just spinning in the hole.  This is because LD uses a pre-set machine that simply punches the holes into the doors.  These are oddly shaped holes with two flat sides that hold the barrel in place and keep it from spinning.  When one drills new 3/4 inch holes for thumb locks, those obviously are completely round, therefore one must use the pronged backing plates shown in these photos:

#2352 shows the four-prong backing plate that "bites" into the thin plastic on the interior of the door and keeps the barrel of the lock from spinning in the hole.

@2351 shows the Lennox 3/4 inch hole saw that I used.  The protruding arbor is 1/4 inch.
2017 RB

Reply #13
Steve and I saw the ILH display at Q, two years ago and were impressed with the ability to buy the perfectly sized lock for each door.  
https://shoprvlocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/measuring_guide_blackwhite_final.pdf
Our LD has been changed to round locks soon after picking it up at the Mothership 15 years ago. At the time, custom locks were not available and keyed alike locks were only available in four packs.
The ILH locks are a step up in quality and, when properly measured and ordered, fit perfectly.
Do order the round backing plates to reinforce the locks and doors.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
We are preparing an order for ILH. 

Perhaps one or two experienced members can provide a ‘sanity check’ on my measurements.  What I mean is, if you have replaced your locks and you still have your measurements laying around, please see if mine look right.  Please don't remove any locks on my account!!!

We have a 2011 27’ MB. 

Eight compartment door locks will be replaced, plus the water filler door lock.

Abbreviations used below:
   DS = Driver side
   PS = Passenger side
   AFL = Above floor level
   BFL = Below floor level

LocationLock lengthCam lengthCam offset
DS forward storage (BFL)7/8"1-1/2"1/16"
DS Battery compartment
7/8"
1-3/8"
1/16"
DS Water filler
3/4"
3/4"
1/8"
DS rear storage (AFL)
1-3/8"
1-1/2"
1/16"
--
PS forward storage (AFL)
1-3/8"
1-1/2"
1/16"
PS forward storage (BFL)
7/8"
1-1/2"
1/16"
PS Generator compartment (AFL)
7/8"
1-1/2"
1/16"
PS rear storage (BFL)
7/8"
1-1/2"
1/16"
PS rear storage (AFL)
1-3/8"
1-1/2"
1/16"
Thank you.

Jim
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Reply #15
 Today’s project involves measuring all my locks as I would like to upgrade them. I’m hoping to just be able to use Jim’s chart that he developed but would like to ask those that have done this changeover, is the whole lock assembly replaced or just the lock insert (middle part)?  And what about the little pull tab that surrounds the lock, that stays, correct?

I am finding the lock very difficult to remove. Do you just bang it out with a mallet?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
The pull tab stays, but the entire lock assembly AND the latching lever are replaced, so it all needs to come out to be measured. Don't know if any adhesive is used on newer units, but i would carefully score the seam where it meets the paint to avoid paint damage.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #17
"I am finding the lock very difficult to remove. Do you just bang it out with a mallet?"

Oh, ouch! Better finesse than force!   :o

I hope you've discovered the keeper nut on the back side of the assembly. Unscrew that and the body should slip out freely.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Thanks both Steve’s. I did take the nut off in the back and ended up scoring the paint as well. In keeping with LD’s long tradition of  “if it moves, seal it“, I found the problem!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #19
Hi Greg. You can be sure that locks leak and let water through. I'll bet that many non LD coaches, don't use any sealant on their compartment locks.   When I was fixing locks on my friends new to him 2001 MB, in 2017, some locks had turned inside that hole with flat sides. The front and back surfaces weren't thick enough to prevent the lock body from turning.  I ended up making aluminum plates, 1/8" thick to reenforce the opening in back. screwed into the door from behind, I used Bondo to fill in the concave surface in back. Scotch tape around the lock to keep the bondo out of the mechanism. Bondo inside the door around the lock, to provide some compression strength when tightening up the nut. (You need to have a lot of practice with Bondo before you try that.
    Larry Wade said:  "Replace the CH751 locks with round keys.
              This company sells keyed-alike custom length round locks. Print the guide chart to match your
        existing locks.
        INDUSTRIAL LOCK & HARDWARE - Replace your Ch751 RV locks.
        Measuring Guide - INDUSTRIAL LOCK & HARDWARE
        I suggest getting the backing plates for each lock to add strength and durability .
        Backing Plate - INDUSTRIAL LOCK & HARDWARE
        Since the exterior compartments can be pried open with a big screwdriver, the best these and any lock
        can do is to discourage a thief enough to move on to the next RV, the one with CH751 locks.
        Locks keep honest people honest.                                                                        Larry
    A link to the backing plate       Backing Plate – INDUSTRIAL LOCK & HARDWARE.
    I think LD has transitioned to plywood internal structure on the compartment doors. The 2019 I looked at had two locks on the long side compartments, one just a thumb turn, the other an actual lock.  A little double redundancy is a good thing.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #20
What would be a good sealant to use on the new locks? 

Backing plates are a good idea but they’re pretty expensive on the ILH website.  Making your own is a good alternative. Not sure about the plywood backing on the doors. I only took apart one lock today and don’t recall seeing any plywood on mine, just the foam insulation.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
We replaced our locks with tubular cams.  It was easy to do and they have performed well for 3 years,
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #22
We replaced our locks with tubular cams.  It was easy to do and they have performed well for 3 years,

Did you use a sealant?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24
Greg, looking at your pictures, it looks like your locks were sealed with Butyl calk. Pretty messy stuff, we used to use it for joining refrigerated cases in supermarkets.

Jon
1994 MB