Skip to main content
Topic: Roll Out Cabinet Drawer (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic
Roll Out Cabinet Drawer
I am thinking of placing a Lynk roll out cabinet drawer in the cabinet under the short dinette bench in my Mid-Bath.  Has anyone installed roll-out cabinet drawers?  I bought the drawer and am now trying to figure out if this is feasible, and how to go about it as there is a ledge which would keep the drawer from sliding out.  I'm thinking of perhaps placing and attaching the drawer on a board high enough to raise it above the ledge.  I'm thinking of placing some of that non-slip shelf liner under the board.  If I do this I will avoid making holes in the LD.  Another thing I need to consider is how to keep the drawer from opening while in transit.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.   Here is a link to the drawer:  Pull-Out Shelf - Lynk Chrome Pull-Out Cabinet Drawers | The Container Store  

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Roll Out Cabinet Drawer
Reply #1
"Has anyone installed roll-out cabinet drawers?"

Mercy yes! I've had one of those installed in the cabinet under my stove/oven for several years now. It was one of the very first modifications/additions that I did in my '04 30'IB. It houses my thermal cooker and several other not so often needed items. The shelf/drawer has it's own built in detents to keep it in place, either in or out.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Rather than installing a roll out drawer, I found a huge plastic Rubbermade-like storage bin that fills that space front to back and side to side, with about 3" clearance above it.  It holds a LOT of tool-type stuff, is easy to slide in and out, and required no installation - just slide it in.  Cheap, simple, reliable and efficient means it works for me.

I don't have info on exact make and model.  I bought it 9 years ago.  But, with the measurements of the space in hand, wander around some stores.  If that solution appeals, you should be able to find a good fit.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB

Reply #3
"...huge plastic Rubbermade-like storage bin that fills that space front to back and side to side, with about 3" clearance above it.  It holds a LOT of tool-type stuff, is easy to slide in and out, and required no installation - just slide it in.  Cheap, simple, reliable and efficient means it works for me."
-----
I use a similar container in the under-stove cabinet to hold pots and pans; the "cheap, simple, reliable, and efficient" thing works for me, too!

These are called "bussing trays" or "bussing tubs"; the things are almost indestructible. I got several on a close-out at Smart & Final years ago.  They're no longer available there, but restaurant supply stores carry them; here's the one I use in the cabinet:

20" x 15" x 5" Gray Polyethylene Plastic Bus Tub, Bus Box
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
I like the idea of the rolling tray!    Yes, you will need to put something underneath it or it won't roll out.   Blocks of wood?   In other cabinets I've also used Rubbermaid tubs sans lids and found them very handy as "drawers" to hold all sorts of items including canned goods under the fridge in our 26.5 RB.   In that large cabinet, I use one of those rubber coated "shelves".  One tub fits underneath and one on top.  
JuliW
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #5
rvhiker

"... now trying to figure out if this is feasible, and how to go about it as there is a ledge which would keep the drawer from sliding out."

Right you are! And, after going out to look I now remember how I solved that problem. Yes, the floor of the cabinet lies below the door sill. This requires you to raise the floor level. I used a ¾" thick piece of plywood cut to fit. This raises the floor  flush with the sill so that the rolling drawer clears, as it should. I then screwed the drawer to the new flooring and the job was finished.

I also have a wire rack attached to the back side of the door to hold Aluminum foil and ZipLock bags.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Thank you all for the replies.  After reading the suggestions for bins, I realized that I had a "bussing bin" in the garage.  I had used it with my previous Lazy Daze. (I probably got the idea originally from Joan.)   The size was perfect for the 2017 Mid-Bath.  I've decided to return the roll out cabinet drawer and try the bin instead.  Having to elevate that drawer so it would slide over the ledge seemed to be a hassle and an unnecessary expense.

Monica 
Monica
2017 MB