Skip to main content
Topic: Squealing noise (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic
Squealing noise
I have a 2004 26.5 foot mid bath,I have had it for about a year,after I drive about 20 or 30 miles,I hear a very high pitched squeel coming from the front of motor home,it is only heard at lower speeds,took it to my mechanic,he said it was the brakes,replaced brakes and it is still making that high pitched squeel, another mechanic said it was a vacuum hose,that didn’t fix it either.
I don’t know what to do with this thing,when I go through  a campground,it is really loud and to the point everyone is staring.
Has anyone had a similar problem or could give me some advise on this?

Re: Squealing noise
Reply #1
Hi Jay. More information would help. Does the squeal stop when your coach is motionless? If it does, then it isn't engine related. Does it do it at all speeds including faster? (OK so you can't hear it)  Does it change pitch at different speeds?
   My first guess is that a shield or thin metal part is rubbing on something. Brake dust shields inside the front wheels can rub on the rotor. The serpentine belt can rub on something, although that usually is a lower frequency. Bearings in auxiliary items can be going bad; power steering pump, alternator, air conditioning compressor, and most likely the waterpump bearings. It is right out in front and the radiator doesn't muffle the sound much. Radiator coolant stable? I think a steam leak would continue after shutoff.
   Did this start relatively recently, I realize you've had enough time to try fixing it, so has it done this since you got it?
   Another thing to try is have it making this noise in a deserted parking lot, and turn off the engine while moving. Caution you only have one braking attempt until you restart the engine, and no power steering! Does it still make noise while moving with the engine off?
   One of my favorite empty and level parking lot has a block wall on one side. With your window down the wall will reflect sound back to you. Also someone stationary might be able to pinpoint something better if you drive past them. Let us know what you find. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Hi Jay,

For reference, I have a 2003 LD. Our rig ad a noise that sounded sort of like a siren at low speeds; we even thought it was a police car behind us. It would stop when we stopped. And start up again when we got up to around 15mph.

It turned out to be a "carrier bearing" that was located towards the front and mounted on the drive shaft. We were in Canada and up there it was called a "steady bearing".  A new carrier bearing cleared it up.

Good luck and let us know how the probem is resolved.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #3
Ford uses a hard brake pad that can squeak when hot, at low speeds. It's a characteristic of the pads.
It's common to hear in campground, with E450 rigs that have just come in from the road, with hot brakes.

Carrier bearing failure is common on higher mileage rigs and will make a banging or squeaking sound when it starts to fail.
The carrier bearing can fail in two ways. The ball bearing itself fails or its rubber mount will disintegrate.
If replaced, at the same time have the u-joints checked for wear.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze