Skip to main content
Topic: USFS MVUM's and Avenza App (Read 136 times) previous topic - next topic
USFS MVUM's and Avenza App
In my never-ending search for boondocking spots I rely a great deal on the US Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) which indicate which Forest Service Roads (FSR) on which dispersed camping is allowed. By matching the map with Google Earth (GE), one can follow along the roads on GE and pick out at least the more obvious locations. The problem I encountered, however, was having to switch back and forth between 2 windows on the computer. So I started downloading the MVUM's onto my tablet, which helped a bit.

Then I came across USFS references to the Avenza mapping app, which allows for free downloading of MVUM's. So I gave it a try. Overall it works very well. A helpful feature is that you can pick coordinates off the MVUM and enter them into GE, which makes matching the 2 maps a lot easier. The app uses your devices GPS so when traveling it will keep you centered on the map.

Of course there is always a catch. Avenza does not offer ALL MVUM's, but does have a lot of them, along with a gazillion other maps - some free, some paid. However, you can import MVUM's downloaded from the USFS MVUM page, so that in reality you can get every map. But then you run into another catch: although you can have an unlimited number of maps that you download directly from Avenza, you can only have three imported maps from other sources at a time....at least with the free version. You can, however, upgrade to the Pro version which allows for unlimited imported maps. The fee for that is, I believe, $39.95 per year, which seems awfully steep to me, so I live with the limit of 3.

The app provides capabilities to manage your maps - you can organize them in folders and can rename maps, especially helpful with the useless naming convention the USFS uses for its MVUM's. I usually rename a map to something like "San_JuanNF_ColumbineRDE" with the name of the forest and the name of the ranger district followed by N,E,S orW to denote which map it is.

No, I have absolutely no connection with Avenza. I'm sure a lot of you are already familiar with it, and I just wanted to let others know about it.

Happy trails!

Re: USFS MVUM's and Avenza App
Reply #1
Ted--

Thx, so much, for all that you share...the research is priceless--especially for me as a marginally technoliterate person. 

When you mentioned the Avenza mapping app & "devices"--is this something I can use on my MacBook?   While I technically have a "cell phone" it's the ATT Home Phone & Internet that was discussed on this site last year & uses a dinosaur phone that I plug into the wall (or the router when I take it in the LD)--I don't have a smartphone or GPS (though some websites can apparently track me, because they will "ask" to use/remember my location).

One of these days I'll have to fully come into the 21st century & add more devices to my life, but I seem to be muddling along for now (gee, I was so excited last week when I learned to change the oil/coolant/etc. on my dad's 1974 Ford 4000 SU tractor, but there's so much more to learn about all sorts of mechanical stuff...).   ;D

Again, thanks for all of this...boondocking is one of my favorite things about the LD, so your wealth of information is wonderful!

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #2

"is this something I can use on my MacBook?"

No.
A tablet only. Requires the Avenza App.  Technically a phone, but the small screen size on phones render the maps useless, at least  to my eyes.

Something like this will do the trick for $160. Has expandable memory; a great feature vs an iPad and a world less expensive.
In addition, there are many other good  tablet choices starting at about $150.

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8"; 16 GB Wifi Tablet (Smoky Titanium)...

I have most of the CO and UT MVUM's  loaded on my $$$iPad. We take it with us when we go exploring and use the relevant
MVUM to keep us from getting too lost. Also have a nice assortment of BLM maps loaded as well.

If you enjoy camping in the National Forests, you will like the MVUM's. Plus all of the official FS campgrounds also appear on the MVUM. A useful feature.

Ed

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #3
"The app uses your devices GPS so when traveling it will keep you centered on the map"

And if your tablet, like mine, does not have the GPS chip, these maps still work. You just have to manually update your position as you come to a marked intersection, a Trailhead, campground, etc.  Thats what we do. Works OK.

Ed