Skip to main content
Topic: 6-speed Transmission- First Year? (Read 179 times) previous topic - next topic
6-speed Transmission- First Year?
I looked on Andy's "Changes by Year" page but couldn't find the answer to my question so I'm assuming it was after 2013. What was the first year Lazy Daze used the Ford chassis with the 6-speed?

Also, are there any owners that have the 6-speed and care to share their thoughts about it's performance, especially as compared to the 4 or 5-speed?

Thanks!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: 6-speed Transmission- First Year?
Reply #1
I believe that the 2016 E-450 came with the 6-speed. I have no experience with the 6-speed in the E-450; I do have 15 years' worth of experience with the 4R100 4-speed. I doubt that I would lose the bet that the 6-speed is a significant improvement.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
We have the 6-speed in our 2017 RB.  It is an improvement over the transmission that was in our 2006 E450 Winnie.  Already, with just a few thousand miles on the 6-speed., I can see a 1.75 to 2.25 mpg improvement.  Over a long haul trip, that is significant.  It is a smooth shifter, too.  I like it. I did experience one hiccup last weekend coming home down through the Feather River Canyon.  I don't know why but the transmission wouldn't leave 5th gear on a down-grade, and it tached up pretty high at only 50 mph. I was not in Tow/Haul, but I punched that in and out once, and the transmission reverted to normal operation.  I had not kicked in the Tow/Haul prior to that, as I was all down-grade for many miles.  It did not reoccur.  Anyone else experience a similar hiccup?
2017 RB

Reply #3
I have it in my 2016.   Works great.  On the glitch holding 5th gear...   When I'm in cruise control and hit a downgrade , the transmission will downshift to hold the speed.   I assume that all the newer ones do that.  Maybe your cruise was on and that was a factor.   If not, it maybe there is an automatic feature that wants to hold a lower gear when you are gaining speed on a downhill rather then letting it slip into 6th.

For downhill driving, I've found that moving the shifter to 4th will hold the rig back adequately in most cases.   Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #4
Thanks, Frank.  Next drive I take I'll be certain to check both of those things.  Going down-grade through the serpentine Feather River Canyon is not a roadway on which I would use cruise control, but I can see where that might explain it if I had.  And, like I said, the problem has not recurred. Thanks for the response.  I'll keep the forum updated, although it will be a while before we get back out there.

My 2006 also had tow/haul, which I used often.  I don't recall ever having this sort of problem before.  But it probably is a user error thing.  The Ford is a pretty tried and true chassis.  And, as stated before and by others, I do like the 6-speed quite a bit.
2017 RB