Skip to main content
Topic: New LD owner with "QUESTIONS"lol (Read 954 times) previous topic - next topic
New LD owner with "QUESTIONS"lol
Hey y'all. Donna and I are proud ,happy owners of a new(to us) a 1995,26.5,mid bath LD with E350 Ford chassis.
We got her for a SONG. We don't think the previous owner knew what he had.
I've got a few questions(haa haa)as any new owner would have.
Let me start by saying that we know that there is no such thing as a carefree,no problems RV. We, previously,were into old wooden boats. So we know how anything and/or everything can,and at some point ,will,go wrong.
Unbelievably,we got her for...........are you ready...............for $3750.00!!!!! I'm no nubie to RV's,or "wheelin and dealin"and believe you me,this baby is sweet,with only 72,000 miles.Let me just say i found a "motivated"seller.
Other than keeping the roof and window seals up to par,and the regular everyday upkeep on a vehicle,we are wondering what,if any,certain"quirks"that i need to be aware of?
I know that most things are subject to little things that are native to that year,and or,model.
This sweet coach came with new tires,a complete tuneup,i.e,hoses,belts,filters,ect. Also,new brake pads,rotors,calipers.
The genset works flawlessly,all appliances work perfect,cushions are in good shape,as is the carpet and front seats. The motor and entire drive train are great,and the ONLY thing i can find it needs is a new exhaust"doughnut"gasket.
I do have one question about the cool awning that it has.
Once you screw it out,do the extension arms need to be fully extended,or left at a small "elbow"shape?
Thanks in advance for your help .
Mike and Donna
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Re: New LD owner with "QUESTIONS"lol
Reply #1
The arms that unfold and extend while cranking open the awning do not extend to a fully straight position.  At full extension both of the arms will still have the small elbow shape that you mentioned.

Here is a video showing setup of the FIAMMA awning... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjqKaUwtmM

Have fun with the new motorhome!
2002 M-23 Twin King & 2016 Subaru Forester tow car

Reply #2
Be aware that you have the 11.500-lb GVW and not the 14,000+lb GVW that the 1996 and later MBs have.
It's part of the reason why you got it for a low price.
Be careful not to overload it and be sure to have it weighted once you have outfitted it, so not to overload the rear axle.

Changes by year

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Congratulations on your wonderful new to you LD.  You will have many years of fun in it.

The awning arms do not fully extend.  Watch the video as listed above because the Fiamma awnings are their own special beasts. 

Happy Trails,

Jules
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Reply #4
Congrats and welcome! This a great forum to learn from others, and share your RV experiences, knowledge and adventures with us! 🐯👍
Nov 2023, 2012 31’ IB, white/green swoops & swirles, 2009 Mini Cooper, racing green convertible, toad 🐸

We ordered white/gray  2018 27' mid bath 1/3/18 and we are hoping for a July 16th 2019 delivery, sold, and tried a Lithium Travato, wish  I would have kept the Lazy Daze 27’

Reply #5
I hate to admit this but I'm jealous! It sounds like you got a sweet deal.  Congratulation!  -Dave
2003 RB

Reply #6
The worst scenario is that you may lose @ $ 4K. Tuition?
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #7
So far,on our 1st little "test flight"to Tybee Island,she has ran and rode excellent. Cruise control is non-functioning,but,thanks to this wonderful forum,i feel it may be the pressure switch on the master cylinder.
We've had some pretty good rain earlier this week,actually on the day we bought her. Dry as a bone. I haven't tried the "swamp cooler"out yet,but i found the valve in the furnace compartment.
More as we travel. We are both retired/disabled,so we plan on using her a lot.
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #9
I took it to mean the cost of learning along the way.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #10
I meant that IF you find out there ARE more hidden faults than you believed there were, and you lost all of what you paid for the coach, you could consider it the price of education (i.e., tuition). Keep us informed about how things evolve.
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #11
I meant that IF you find out there ARE more hidden faults than you believed there were, and you lost all of what you paid for the coach, you could consider it the price of education (i.e., tuition). Keep us informed about how things evolve.
Dale from Downey.
Gotcha'. Wasn't quite sure what ya meant. But i do understand. A little of my history is as follows;
I'm 65,and have been repairing vehicles of all types starting with my 1st car back in 1970,when i bought an old 1960 Buick LaSabre for $135.00.(that in itself is a learning experience) From there on out I've worked on any,and every,kind of motors. From the Datsun 1600-2000 roadsters,up to 8V-53 Detroit Diesels. I was a fleet mgr for a food service company,and had to keep 57 pieces of junk on the road everyday!!!. Plus, I've also worked on/repaired/restored old wooden boats,and have "saved the lives"if you will,of countless old motorhomes that people all but have given up on.
I'm not tooting my own horn at all,just saying i first of all listen to/judge a vehicle from the drivetrain up. I do everything from smelling the fluids to taking a small magnet with me to look for any metal in the fluids.
But,even after all of that,it is a motorized piece of equipment,and anything can ho wrong at anytime.(DAMN MURPHY ANYWAY)lol
This seller did not know what he had. I price this camper right now between $14,000-$16,000.  And after a few little quirky things that need touched up,and a good wax job and cab detail job,$16,000-$18,000. This is really one sweet MH,and Donna and i are truly happy with her.
Oh yeah,i also have a 1988, 33ft Fleetwood Pace Arrow with 33,000 miles(class A) that i bought at an estate sale for $3250.00 that we also use when the kidz and grandkids come with us.
Ya gotta shop around,throw a really stupid lowball # at someone,and take it from there. If YOU have done your "homework",and the seller hasn't,you might just get a "diamond on the rough"that a good week of cleaning just might make it shine.
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #12
It sounds like you did your due diligence when examining this coach. Many people don’t. They either don’t have the experience or know how that you seem to have. I truly hope that you have found the coach that will make you happy for a long time and that you enjoy it to the fullest. Great that you were able to get it for a very reasonable price. Happy trails.
Dale from Downey.

Reply #13
It sounds like you did your due diligence when examining this coach. Many people don’t. They either don’t have the experience or know how that you seem to have. I truly hope that you have found the coach that will make you happy for a long time and that you enjoy it to the fullest. Great that you were able to get it for a very reasonable price. Happy trails.
Dale from Downey.
Thanks Dale. Donna and i are just getting back from our 1st outing with her. Tybee Island ,Ga. She did great. We did have a waterline under the kitchen sink leak a bit. And,we will get that pesky exhaust doughnut fixed before we go out again.
Ran cool,used no oil,tranny fluid smells and checks clean. I'll also have the "punkin" fluid in the rear-end changed.No service records can be found,other than the belts,hoses,fluids that was done prior to our purchase. So,sparkplugs and wires will also be done.
250lbs,6' tall. Wish me luck getting the doghouse out!!!!!. Lol
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #14
I’m not sure if you mentioned that roof had been resealed? If not, this should be done on a LD of ten years old. Also, the caulking around all the windows and corners. Many in this group have used Eternabond tape to do the roof.
Dale.

Reply #15
Thanks. I was thinking 3M 5200 or 101. We use it on boats. Will still be there for the 2nd coming..
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #16
If done right, Eternabond, on the roof seams, will be there for the third coming. If the seams are bad, I would be worried about frame rot. Have you checked around the bunk windows for mushy wood? Below the rear window? Do you have any pictures of roof and outside coach? Any corrosion on outside aluminum skin?
3m is very good for sealing around outside windows and roof vents if you never plan on removing them.
Dale from Downey.

Reply #17
I second Dale's advice.

3M 5200 is great stuff, although messy to work with. The trouble with using any liquid sealant on a Lazy Daze's roof is that you first have to remove all the old sealant, and even with a MultiMaster-type oscillating tool, that's a big job. The advantage of Eternabond tape is that in either its four- or six-inch-wide form, it completely covers the old sealant and lays down a couple of inches on either side, sealing to the roof (which you have of course cleaned and prepped).

On a boat, of course, for cosmetic reasons you would never seal seams with six-inch-wide tape! But on a Lazy Daze's roof it works very well. And if applied correctly (again, good prep is essential), it lasts literally for decades. That's why so many in this group use it.

The Lazy Daze factory will tell you not to use Eternabond. "It's too hard to remove when you need to reseal," they say. They have never gotten the message that when done right, Eternabond will never need resealing.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #18
Thanks for the "heads-up" on the proper way to seal it. I'll give it a try.
And yes,any job done is ONLY as good as the prep. 5200 is beyond messy!!! Lol. I've all but removed skin trying to get it off my hands.  I've always used a shop rag with diesel fuel on it to give it the "rope"look when smoothing out the seams on my boats.
What does everyone suggest for window seals?
Once again........thanks in advance.
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #19
A side note to Dale from Downey.
No rot in the bunk or rear window. She seems to have been taken very good care of prior to the owner we got her from. He only owned her for a little less than 3 years. He had bought her from the original owners in California,and traveled back to South Carolina after his father passed. The original owners name was SMITH. He may have been a member???!! I'll try to post pictures.
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #20
I've loaded a picture of her to my profile. I'm sure there is a better way,which I'm searching for.
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #21
Here are some pictures
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #22
Here are a few more
1995 MB Mrdronennut

Reply #24
The damage on the drivers side behind the door(on the "L"shaped trim was caused when the previous owner had somehow scraped the "L"trim,causing it to come loose,and wind got behind the panel,causing it to bend back as they were going down the road."so I'm told". That will be repaired asap.
1995 MB Mrdronennut