Skip to main content
Topic: Over the Cab Bed Question(s)... (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic
Over the Cab Bed Question(s)...
This may seem like an odd series of questions, but here goes...

1.  I have a 1998 mid-bath, and I'm wondering if the over-the-cab mattress was missing when I purchased it.  The upper area is flush with the storage compartment.  This couldn't be the actual mattress as there is no place to tuck in sheets.  There "is" a memory foam mattress pad, but it doesn't fit the bed dimensions, and there's an "overhang" of a foot or so. 

2.  I actually don't mind sleeping in the over-the-cab bed, and leave the ladder at home.  I find it far easier to use the dinette seat and back to get in and out of bed.  I suppose I should move the bar that's in the middle of the ceiling over above the dinette seat for more "security."

3.  Any suggestions on where to buy a memory foam mattress pad that will fit the dimensions of the actual bed?  Sheet suggestions?  Does anyone have any photos of their bed?

Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Over the Cab Bed Question(s)...
Reply #1
If the memory foam mattress is serviceable, it can be cut to fit. If it has a liner (usually with a zipper), take it out. 
Measure the bed size and mark a cutting line for the desired dimension (I usually use a sharpie)  Take a utility knife or something like this scraper which has a longer cutting blade.    If you cut like I do, it won't be perfect.  You can mark a line in the spoil area (the part that's going away) and practice.  Alternatively you can keep the foot or so of memory foam for something else.

If you are handy with a sewing machine you and stitch up the liner to fit the new size mattress.   If you are competently challenged like I,  just tuck the extra under the mattress on the front side.

Or you can go buy one of the proper size if you can find one.

Sleep well.

Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
I have 3" "Sensus" memory foam mattress toppers for both the overcab and one of the couches; both are from Sleep Warehouse:

Natural Latex Foam and Memory Foam Topper Products | Sleep Warehouse

The overcab topper I use is a twin size; there are no live space-takers up there with me. A larger topper can be cut to size to fit the overcab mattress. Sleep Warehouse cut the topper (no charge) for the couch to my specs; I bought a twin size, they cut it to fit the couch, and I use the cut-off pieces (I requested that these be sent with the topper) as "pillow forms" and dog bed stuffings. I made washable covers for both toppers, essentially squared-corner envelopes with Velcro closures.

Sleep Warehouse offers free shipping; good thing, since memory foam is heavy!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Cheryl, if the memory foam can be lifted up and you see a wood surface underneath, then there is no over-the-cab mattress up there.  That being said, my mattress is flush with the storage compartment, is 4" or 5" thick, has no overhang and is foam encased in fabric.  The fabric is fastened down along the edge facing the rear, so using a fitted sheet would be all but impossible on mine.

I believe the dimensions of the bed area are 60" x 80", but check to be sure.  Any foam supply place can provide you with the thickness, firmness, density and dimensions of foam you desire.  Maximum comfort in a mattress usually comes from using layers of foam of varying firmness, with a very firm base and a softer foam on the top 2".  Foam can be cut smoothly and easily using an electric knife.  Most upholsterers can also help with foam stuff.  A few cautions - the factory-fitted setup uses two pieces of foam so the bed can be folded forward to ease entry and departure from the cab area.  If you put a single unit mattress up there, you will no longer be able to do that.

If you run into a dead end, I know an upholsterer in Albuquerque who comes down to T Or C regularly.  You could arrange to meet him in Elephant Butte.  He could get measurements, help you to find a fabric, pick a foam, and make a mattress for you.  Pop me an email if you want his name and number.

Ken F in CA
'08 MB

Reply #4
We've always slept in the overhead bed, and like that, but found the stock LD mattress not supportive enough after awhile. Hip bones would sink through the foam and hit the wood underneath etc.

I didn't want to add height to the bed by putting another mattress on top of what LD supplies because the headroom up there is already limited and I didn't want to make it worse.

We ended up replacing the LD mattress with one of these in the "double" size:

Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Sleeping Pad at REI

Pricey I know but that's not your average air mattress. Exped makes high quality and durable outdoor gear, not throw away stuff sold in big box stores.

I removed the LD mattress foam from its cloth enclosures and removed some staples and screws etc from that area to be sure there was nothing that could puncture the new mattress. But I left the LD cloth mattress upholstery (after removing any staples and the like) in place to provide a soft interface between the new mattress and the wood platform underneath the bed. And to allow a return to the LD type of mattress if desired.

The Exped mattress fits perfectly in our overhead, as if made for it.

What I like about an air mattress built around a foam core is that you have the insulation, and some support, of the foam but can adjust the firmness of the bed from quite soft to quite firm by adjusting the amount of air inside. We do have to adjust the amount of air in the mattress when changing altitudes. We find this bed very comfortable.

We used to fold up the bed when traveling but no longer do, as the air mattress won't fold easily. It's a bit less convenient getting into the cab seats from the coach but not enough to be a problem and we've adjusted easily.

If you decide to order one of these I suggest checking measurements carefully. Your overhead bunk could be different than ours, as could the current Exped mattress.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV