Skip to main content
Topic: New solar panels draining the engine battery (Read 147 times) previous topic - next topic
New solar panels draining the engine battery
I'm full-time as of today so am VERY green. I have a 26.5' 2001 mid-bath LD and am having my first hiccup and could use some help please! There are two house batteries and the solar is connected to these and it's working just fine.

Bfter the panels were installed, I had just one of the little ceiling lamps on for a few hours, but the engine battery was dead the next morning. The solar installer came back and said the battery was completely dead and I should go buy a new one! He also said I needed a disconnect switch so the solar will kick in when the engine is off.

But then a friend came over and charged the battery for me. 🤔

So what we've figured out... I think... is the 12 volt is not switching from the engine to the solar and does need some kind of switch... does this seem correct?

Or, perhaps, is my rear view camera draining the engine battery?

Sheesh. At least this is happening now, right?

Thanks in advance for your help!
2001 MB

Re: New solar panels draining the engine battery
Reply #1
I have no idea what the installer is talking about.
Solar panels should not be able to drain the coach battery, the controller should keep them disconnected when the sun isn't shinning. 
The installer did install a solar controller, right?  You must have one to allow the system to work  properly.

There is separation, between the engine charging and the solar, with the battery isolator. It's a diode bank mounted under the hood, on the driver's side. The isolator is one-way electrical device that allows power from the engine's alternator to flow into the coach and starting batteries. It prevents any back flow of power from one one battery to the other.

The backup camera should be wired to be powered only when the ignition is on.
If it isn't,  get a switch installed, pull the camera's fuse until then, when not using it.

You may need to find a more knowledgeable tech to figure out what is going on, many solar installers are not electrical experts.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: New solar panels draining the engine battery
Reply #2
Some more info would be helpful, such as make and model of the solar charge controller, number and wattage of the solar panels, and was the engine battery holding charge BEFORE the solar installation? The light left on - was it in the cab or in the coach?

There SHOULD be no relationship between a proper solar installation and the engine battery dying, but any phantom drain on a battery can be traced with an ammeter.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit