Skip to main content
Topic: Entry door (Read 297 times) previous topic - next topic
Entry door
In my 2012 27’ RB, I noticed an irritating squeaking sound while driving. My wife tried and successfully identified the area of the squeak as coming from the entry door. I pulled over at my next opportunity to investigate and noticed there was a fairly large gap around the door. Large enough for me to see daylight coming in. My quick fix was to simply squirt some lubricant on the latch and get back on the road. When I got to our destination I moved the latching stud in the door jamb to make the door seal more tightly. When we got home I investigated further because the door wasn’t sealing as tight as it should, even after moving the stud as far as was possible. This didn’t seen right to me so I went to U-tube. I found a site “Problems with RV Entry Doors”, by RV Vagabond Terry.
     The site explained that there are two latch (catch) positions for the door. If you merely just shut the door it will latch in the first position loosely (as mine did while traveling). But, you must slam the door to get it to latch in the second (tighter) position.
    Possibly I’m the only one didn’t realize the two latching positions. If I am I’m sorry that you had to have read this rather long blurb. But, maybe it will, as it did me, eliminate an irritating squeak and help your  coach to be protected from the elements.
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Entry door
Reply #1
Dale,

Slamming the coach door seems to be SOP. Todd at LD told me to do so to insure proper closure.

My DW is really good at the procedure. My daughter is shocked by her Mother’s efforts.

Better closed than flying open while on the road, right?

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
The noise from that area in our LD was caused by the screen door not closing tight with the exterior door. I placed 2 pieces of oval rubber seal on the screen door handle mechanism. One on the left side and the other on the right side. That created enough pressure between the 2 doors to stop the noise.

Reply #3
I was at the Mothership one day and watched Vince demonstrate to another LD owner that you don't need to slam it, just shut it  firmly.   There didn't seem to be that much difference  between 'firm' and 'slam'.  ;)
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
I suppose there are degrees of “slam”. I have occasionally admonished my DD to ‘not slam my car door’.

That same slam would have left the LD coach door ajar. 🤪

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
How does one adjust the latch post in the door jamb? I haven’t figured that out. Also, we had to replace the coach door some two years ago, and the people who did the job did not install an extra gasket to make a tight seal. At our recent trip to the Mothership, Vince spotted the problem and fixed it. No more wind noise, though the squeaking still sometimes occur.

Reply #6
You can adjust the “Post” in the jamb by loosening it with an Allen wrench and moving it by tapping it either inward or outward. Do not loosen it all the way you may loose it in the jamb. A little dry silicone spray, once in a while on the post, should take care of the squeak once you get the correct tightness.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #7
"I suppose there are degrees of "slam"."

I am convinced that it depends on which side of the door the action is initiated!

Agreed that it takes an inordinate amount of force to persuade the door to close from inside to the point where both locks can be engaged.

From the outside however it's quite another story... a firm push with the heel of your hand on the lock plate should be sufficient to seat the door to it's fullest extent. That is the point where the locks can be actuated easily with the keys.   8)

Now if you have a door that has been slammed open or closed by the wind, once or more, you may have an entirely different situation!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Being someone who was fussed at from a very early age "DO NOT SLAM THE DOOR!" I cringe every time I have to in order to get it to latch properly. Are you saying that the latch can be adjusted to make it easier?

To stop the screen door squeek, I used small self stick felt pads designed for the bottom of lamps or some such. They may be a bit too thick but I assume they'll compress eventually. And that particular squeak has disappeared!

A solution to another noise we found, in case you can use it...

Another squeak that was incredibly annoying was from the window over the dining table. I figured out finally that if I "slammed" window closed it would lessen the noise - sometimes. Later while I drove, Hubby played around with it & discovered that after you close the window you also need to pull the screen back 1/4 to 1/2" along the track so it is pressed snugly against the window frame. Much quieter now & I don't need to slam the window after all.  What a relief!
 Susie
2007 MB