Skip to main content
Topic: Hydraulic Levelers (Read 525 times) previous topic - next topic
Hydraulic Levelers
My wife and I are picking up our 27ft midbath around the end of May. Do I spend the money for auto levelers or is that money out the window. I'm leaning towards hydraulic but it sure is an expensive upgrade.

2018 MB

Re: Hydraulic Levelers
Reply #1
When we picked up our ’15 RB at the Mothership, I thought about purchasing non-factory options prior to taking delivery.

Many of the standard “gotta-gets” like fresh water hoses, standard levelling blocks etc were purchased at or around the day we took possession of the LD. Other options like the Flo-Jet macerator and the Wave 6 catalytic heater waited until we had a chance to sort through the necessity and usefulness of the various items.

While others on LDO have found  self levellers very useful (night  arrivals, stormy weather, lower levels of flexibility...), I still find the levelling blocks that I purchased at LD and the various wooden blocks I made from 2x6’s very capable of meeting my needs.

While I have been fortunate to find some campsites fairly level and require only moderate levelling (this week in Yosemite I am not using any blocks to level the coach...how nice...others in camp are not as fortunate), the norm is that levelling will be nessasary.

I was far less concerned about the cost of the hydraulic levellers than the added weight and the potential for systems failure. That’s just me.

So far I’m willing to take a few minutes to level the rig. Most of the time it’s pretty straight forward, occasionally it can be an engineering wonder.

The cost of blocks is very reasonable and making your own can bring out a little creative genius.

The best suggestion I can give is wait and see. If you decide to install them later on, you will have time to save up for the project and do more research on which system suits your needs best.

In the meantime, enjoy your new LD. We’ve put over 11,000 miles of trouble free travel in our RB and have reservations as far out as September.

Have fun. Hope this helps...even a little.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
No. Not worth the weight, potential maintenance and trouble, and cost. 

(That said, if you do have them, and have a blow-out on either inside dual wheel, MUCH easier to change out with levelers!)
2017 RB

Reply #3
Hi, Tom--

I love my Quadra Big Feet.  That was my first trip (Mar. '14 to White Pigeon, MI) after getting back to Missouri the previous Dec. & three months of snow/ice/crud.

As a solo I don't have a copilot to place blocks or give directions (in-out-in-out-in-out to check & adjust blocks was a pain on my maiden run back to MO after purchase in SoCal), plus as was mentioned, there's no dealing with being out in snow/rain/wind/dark of night/etc,  

As far as weight, I did not get motors for each  Foot--they run in tandem (both front/both rear/both L/both R).  I've had no maintenance issues--the only thing was that I noticed a puddle of something in the drive the morning after I got home from White Pigeon.  I called the company & they told me to find someone to check the hydraulic connection; I contacted an ag repair shop recommended by one of my farmer friends.  The mechanic came to my driveway/assessed/talked with Quadra/tightened a hose & topped off the reservoir/billed & got paid by Quadra...easy-peasy.

Kent's suggestion is spot on...get the blocks & see what works for you--you can never go wrong with Joan's mantra (YMMV).  And even though I love my Feet, there have been a few times I've put blocks (included by the previous owner) under a Foot.

Good luck & happy trails with your new baby--

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #4
Congrats on your new LD.  When we picked ours up last June, I was unsure whether or not we should get levelers installed.  Todd suggested we get the leveling blocks from the mothership and see how it went before we spent the money and added the weight.  We went on a five month trip, staying in national parks, state parks, county parks and some private campgrounds.  We needed the levelers about a dozen times, but were always able to get the refrigerator level with the three level blocks we picked up in CA.  In a couple of situations, I needed to get level by myself and there was no problem.  There might be a time when we decide it is time to add a leveling system, but so far so good.  We're heading out for another 5-month trip in May, again in many types of parks, and we'll see how it goes.

Have fun.

David  8)
David and Marie Philbrick
Proud former 2017 27' MB Owners

Reply #5
My wife and I are picking up our 27ft midbath around the end of May. Do I spend the money for auto levelers or is that money out the window. I'm leaning towards hydraulic but it sure is an expensive upgrade.

As in all things RV - it depends.    The case for leveling is for two reasons.  1. human comfort and 2. refrigerator comfort.   

I can made no value judgment on the human comfort as we are all different.  What feels good to me might make you very uncomfortable.  So that leaves reason 2.    The new 'updated' refrigerators are more tolerant of  being off level.  In fact the factory  says its up to your comfort level as to how level you can be.   

We have camp in all sort of places - from Walmart to  make your own camp site on a island in the middle of a river.   We do our best to get within a bubble off level.      But once parked and feeling like I'm not sleeping with my feet higher then my head we are happy. 

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
Hopefully, this will be a slightly different perspective. We have owned 4 motorhomes, 2 with levelers and 2 without. Our Midbath was one that was without. We used the Midbath for 9 years before "things changed" (age, etc. ... still the best motorhome we have ever owned) and occasionally had _some_ trouble leveling. One of the other things that changed for us was our camping style; we rarely camped for fun. Mostly, we were (and still are) are service projects, where the parking spot is, more or less, dictated. Some were _very_ unlevel. We currently have a 34 ft class A with hydraulic levelers. Even with those, it's important to be sure _all 4 tires remain in contact with the ground_. Often, we drive up on blocks before deploying the levelers just to be sure we maintain that contact. Contact is especially important for the rear tires, where the parking brake is holding them (and you!) still.
So, I guess the bottom line is, the levelers are nice, they work, they are expensive, but you may still need blocks to drive up on if the parking spot is sufficiently unlevel. Just a thought.
Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #7
Do I spend the money for auto levelers or is that money out the window.

We have never used them, but camp frequently with those that do. With levelers:

1) Can get level in almost any situation.
2) Motorhome is stable - no motion as you move around inside.

But:

1) You will likely need to place blocks under the pads if not parked on a firm surface.
2) Leveling can often take a long time in automatic mode, eating up battery power.
3) Reputation for reliability is spotty...

With leveling blocks:

1) If you carry a good selection of blocks, you can get level quickly in most sites, with experience.
2) Reliability is excellent.

But:

1) Considerable storage room consumed by blocks.
2) Siting direction may be determined by ability to level, instead of solar exposure or other needs.
3) Motion when moving around inside.
4) Bigger blocks can be heavy to lug into position.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Had Big Foot levelers installed by the factory in White Pigeon shortly after purchasing our Mid Bath in 2003.  Have really enjoyed them, especially in those cases where we arrived at the campground where our site was unlevel and it was pouring rain.  Have probably used them on half of the 670 nights we've spent in Daizy.

As I've gotten older (73) and my arthritis has gotten worse, I find I use them more and more often.  As others have said, it's really a matter of choice.  I would get them again.  Some have mentioned weight.  With the weight a Mid Bath is capable of carrying I don't see this as a problem.
2003 MB

Reply #9
   I have the Kwickee levelers. Arriving late at night to some campgrounds, I can level quickly to minimize the noise I make. Often available spots from a good 'view' or 'tree' perspective have been passed over because of unlevel sites. Especially in cold, blowing or wet situations, and dark, it is really nice to just push a few buttons. I didn't pay the extra for the automatic, and I'm not impressed by the ones I've seen. I just do one jack at a time, and being so short I don't worry about a warped or twisted frame. I use the levelers in shopping parking lots also If I'm going to be there any length of time, also in front of friends homes to cancel out road crown. I've never damaged any asphalt yet. (at 11,500#, its not like a bus at 35,000#). It is nice to not have the motorhome shift around when stable. I remember a few times in high winds with gusts (Grand canyon shopping lot, waiting for a camp space to become available, 75 mph gusts).
   I remember using a 4x6 block in the mud in the Giant Redwoods. In the morning I was glad the levelers had hydraulic up, to pull out of the mud. I left my leveling block behind, out of sight several inches below the surface.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10

We carry two leveling ramps and two sets of Lynx blocks and can level in almost any situation, usually only taking a few minutes.
They have worked well over 23 years and 170,000 miles of use.
Plywood ramps | Ramps dimensions 30" L X 7 1/2" W X 5" H Bui… | Flickr
Lynx Levelers 10-Pack RV Leveling Blocks with Nylon Storage Case - Walmart.com
Make sure to get the genuine Lynx blocks, cheaper ones can shatter in cold conditions.

A pair of bubble levels, glued to the dash and driver's door, help determine which wheel(s) need lifting.
Amazon.com: Hopkins 08525 Graduated Level: Automotive

Several times I have loaned Lynx blocks to newer owners whose hydraulic levelers do not provide enough lift when fully extended.
LDs do not have enough room for long hydraulic rams, often it is necessary to crawl under the rig to stack blocks under the rams, to provide the extra lift needed to get level.
On soft ground, it can be necessary to place plywood squares under each ram to prevent sinking .
The rams are located quite a ways under the rigs and are not easy, or clean, to access.
Even if you have hydraulic levelers, you will still need to carry four 12" X 12" plywood squares and additional blocks.

Several times, over the years, at LD Caravans, I have had to help some unfortunate member whose hydraulics have failed in some way leaving one or more rams down. The 'fix' is loosening one or more hydraulic line, letting the hydraulic fluid and pressure out and then manually tying the rams temporally in the 'up' position.
It is really messy to do and can dump a lot of oil on the ground, which must cleaned up.
IMO, the best feature of hydraulic levelers is the ability to lift the rig when a tire needs changing.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
Lynne, why did you choose the tandem levelers rather than the individually controlled ones?  I've found myself needing to raise just one wheel in some boondocking places. Would yours work in that situation?
Susie
2007 MB

Reply #12
Other questions -
1 - how much do levelers weigh?
2 - any recommendations as to brands?  I see Big Foot & Kwikee mentioned above.
3 - Maintenance requirements?

I'm thinking seriously about this since I'm planning on a cross country trip this summer. I suspect I'll be spending a good number of nights on unlevel streets & driveways at friends' & relatives' houses.

Appreciate any input you can offer.
Susie
2007 MB

Reply #13
Lynne, why did you choose the tandem levelers rather than the individually controlled ones?  I've found myself needing to raise just one wheel in some boondocking places. Would yours work in that situation?
Susie

Hi, Susie--

My choice was purely $$.   I can't remember what the $$ difference was, but now that I know more, I'm glad to not have the weight of two additional controllers (though, in answer to #1, I don't know what the additional weight per controller or foot would be).   #2--I settled on Big Foot because I saw more negative comments about the Kwikee kick-down design than the Quadra hydraulic design when I was doing my research...since I'm not an engineer or very mechanically literate the comments I read about actual usage helped me compare to my personal expectations.  #3--except for the initial issue of a loose connection noted in my first post above, I've had no maintenance issues, so they've been pretty idiot-proof so far.

While I can see the versatility of individual controllers, I've not had any insurmountable issues, & I boondock almost exclusively.  On the rare occasions that I've needed one wheel higher than others, I extend both on one side, then retract the side that needs lowered (e.g., say the R front needs to be raised the most, I'd fully extend the front tandem, then retract the L tandem 'til it was where I wanted to be).  The biggest problem I've encountered was actually in front of my late aunt's retirement facility in metro Denver where the street was crowned so much I had to put a lynx bloc + 2x12 square under each foot on the curb side + fully extend the feet...oddly it was not a huge step from the sidewalk to the LD step.

Lynne

Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #14
We have the levelers on our 26.5' 95 RB.  Love them, but have had some "sag" while driving down the road, causing red light activation on the system.  Has anyone dealt with this before other than adding/checking hydraulic fluid?  So far, our mechanic is stumped.

Reply #15
110,000 miles and over 1,900 nights and never had any need for hydraulics. Takes less than five minutes to put blocks under the tires.

We have found the bath door on our MB to be superior to bubble levels and even an inclinometer on an iPhone
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
We have the levelers on our 26.5' 95 RB.  Love them, but have had some "sag" while driving down the road, causing red light activation on the system.  Has anyone dealt with this before other than adding/checking hydraulic fluid?  So far, our mechanic is stumped.
Are the rams falling down or extending other own? If so, the cause is probably a leaking solenoid(s).
The other cause could be misadjusted upper limit switches, if so, they can cause the 'red' light to turn on, even if there is no real problem.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze