Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Pump Replacement (Read 136 times) previous topic - next topic
Fuel Pump Replacement
Albeit unconventional....and
After great information provided by Rich.
We were unable to drain the 3/4 full tank, muct be anti syphon device, couldnt get a hose to reach the fuel.
The LD sits in the field, on plywood. We were unsure if we’d be able to jack it up enough to get clearence to drop
The tank full if fuel,  we considered draining thru bottom plug, but thats a lot of fuel !
So being married to a Retired Union Carpenter, he decided to go another route...
We located a chasis diagram, measured and located top of fuel tank and precise location of fuel pump
At the base of our Island bed !!!
Cut up carpet, foam, 1/2 plywood,  tin only to find a fiberglass shield covering the tank.
Very carefully we cut thru it.
It was tight getting fuel lines disconected but manageable, replaced new Fuel Pump, put everything back with extra floor reinforcement. Barely noticeable seem in carpet and we are purring like a kitten.
Randy & Lisa
2000 MB LD

Re: Fuel Pump Replacement
Reply #1
Considering the situation, it looks to be good, inexpensive way of doing it.
Biggest problem I see is the potential fire hazard, having that much fuel open to the world and sparks.
Glad it worked out for you.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I'm glad it worked out.  It's always neat to see a new way to solve an old problem, and hopefully someone else will benefit from your experience.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #3
Larry thank you for pointing out the fire hazzard, it was definitely a concern of ours also, we used a Dremel Multi-tool , the fiberglass shield was the trickiest, but seemed to be a good 1 1/2 in space above tank, but close to the fuel lines...I would not recommend someone that didnt have knowledge of mechanical and carpentery skills attempt this.

Randy & Lisa
2000 MB LD