Skip to main content
Topic: Smoke em if you got em!...uh, no (Read 186 times) previous topic - next topic
Smoke em if you got em!...uh, no
Was listening to this fun song last nite. While it's got funny lyrics, it's also realistically accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LzWZYWpOU

Curious if any LD owners have/had brake issues coming down from mountain passes. I'm assuming you have figured out which gear of your automatic trans allows for the best tradeoff of speed and minimum brake usage. Does an LD have any provision for compression release (jake brake in a semi)? I'm thinking you would not have to worry at all about brakes if so.
 Don't want to wind up like one of the poor folks this fellow is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMc-w-IfsVI

Graydon

Re: Smoke em if you got em!...uh, no
Reply #1
  Curious if any LD owners have/had brake issues coming down from mountain passes. I'm assuming you have figured out which gear of your automatic trans allows for the best tradeoff of speed and minimum brake usage. Does an LD have any provision for compression release (jake brake in a semi)? I'm thinking you would not have to worry at all about brakes if so.

Only diesel engines have compression or "Jake" brakes, they need them since they produce no significant engine braking on downgrades without it.
You will figure it out quickly if you travel much in the West, most everything is up or down.
Towing a heavy vehicle will require a lot of downshifting and judicious use of the brakes, the V10 cannot always keep the speed down to a safe level on long, steep downgrades. If you don't pay attention, you will get into trouble fast.

I can still vividly remember the first time driving westward, down Town's Pass, in Death Valley, towing the jeep.
It was  a white knuckle ride.  Now, it's no big thing as I never let the speed build up.
A good book or app to own is the Mountain Directory, it describes every major grade as to steepness and duration.
Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers

Be safe.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Does an LD have any provision for compression release (jake brake in a semi)? I'm thinking you would not have to worry at all about brakes if so.

You could always get something like this if you want a jake brake:  8)

96' Ford 7.3 diesel 4x4 with Lazy daze Camper ..opinion on value | Expedition...
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
You could always get something like this if you want a jake brake:  8)

96' Ford 7.3 diesel 4x4 with Lazy daze Camper ..opinion on value | Expedition...

Oh jeez, I don't think that thing would make it much further than my driveway, Lol
Only diesel engines have compression or "Jake" brakes, they need them since they produce no significant engine braking on downgrades without it.
You will figure it out quickly if you travel much in the West, most everything is up or down.
Towing a heavy vehicle will require a lot of downshifting and judicious use of the brakes, the V10 cannot always keep the speed down to a safe level on long, steep downgrades. If you don't pay attention, you will get into trouble fast.

I can still vividly remember the first time driving westward, down Town's Pass, in Death Valley, towing the jeep.
It was  a white knuckle ride.  Now, it's no big thing as I never let the speed build up.
A good book or app to own is the Mountain Directory, it describes every major grade as to steepness and duration.
Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers

Be safe.
Larry
Thx for the info, Larry. I guess I could just call Todd also for that info. He's helpful, but the people here are more so!

I can relate to your wild ride, Lol. I was coming down a mountain pass in Oregon during a snowstorm in a big rig years ago.
All was going as well as can be expected when I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw the trailer starting to drift sideways! Thru judicious use of braking it will straighten out, but it requires maintaining your speed or even speeding up!! Yikes!!!
My heart was pounding and my drawers were turning various shades of brown.
I made it though! Lol

Graydon