Skip to main content
Topic: Service Interval - Rear Differential (Read 411 times) previous topic - next topic
Service Interval - Rear Differential
We have a '09 Ford E450 Lazy Daze and we tow a Subaru.  According to the Ford service maintenance schedule at Maintenance Schedules | fleet.ford.com , the service interval for replacing the rear differential lubrication is 100k miles when towing.   We're at 55k miles and I wonder if the Ford's schedule is adequate for our LD?  Or another way of asking this question is an earlier change of lubrication prudent?  I'm be very grateful for guidance of this question.

Re: Service Interval - Rear Differential
Reply #1
Ed, Larry provided a great deal of 'what to do and when to do it' information when I prepared a 'service' document to hand out to the Ladeze of recommended maintenance services beyond the Ford maintenance schedule.  In this doc, he recommended changing the differential fluid at about 50,000 miles, or every 5 years when towing. Unless he has changed his mind on the mileage/interval (if he has, he will post, I'm sure!), it appears that your 2009 may be overdue for this service. 

Some may feel that this service (and others) is/are premature; YMMV, but, IMO, preventive maintenance done before the recommended mileage/interval may prevent a lot of problems!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
We had ours changed around 50K.

Jim

Reply #3
Larry provided a great deal of 'what to do and when to do it' information when I prepared a 'service' document to hand out to the Ladeze of recommended maintenance services beyond the Ford maintenance schedule.  In this doc, he recommended changing the differential fluid at about 50,000 miles, or every 5 years when towing. Unless he has changed his mind on the mileage/interval (if he has, he will post, I'm sure!), it appears that your 2009 may be overdue for this service. 

Some may feel that this service (and others) is/are premature; YMMV, but, IMO, preventive maintenance done before the recommended mileage/interval may prevent a lot of problems!

Thank you so much for this guidance.  I completely agree with the "PM before the recommended mileage" strategy.  We're now scheduled for this service next Tuesday.  Secondly, would it be possible to post the "recommended maintenance services beyond the Ford maintenance schedule?"  I'd find that information very valuable.  If it can't be posted, then any suggestion on how I might obtain a copy?  Thank you Joan for your guidance and assistance.

Reply #5
I pulled the service records for my 30K service at Future Ford Fleet service in Roseville, CA.
Transmission service  $450.
Rear Differential service $250.   I had that done at my request, I don't recall if it was a recommended service.  It just seemed to me that it has the same workload as the transmission.
Oil and filer changes and a few sundry others and the bill was about $1100, which comes out to about $0.03 /mile for the works.
The rig is always over 14,000 and the towd ranges from 3800-3900 according to Cat scales so I assume I am always at max load.
The service rep said the transmission fluid looked good, but the differential fluid looked burned.   I consider it insurance and will have it done again at 60K.  One might think me paranoid,  but they say that paranoids most frequently die of old age.
I'd rather change out still-good things early than to learn to appreciate having good ERS  ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6

Like Joe, our LD has a heavy load, pulling a 4000-lbs Jeep
In the past, I changed the axle fluid at 50,000 miles and if the axle had not fail at 100,000 miles, it's a practice I would have continued with.
After an arduous job rebuilding the axle  (the hardest LD project I have attempted), I'm lowering the change interval to 30,000 miles. 
It will cost about $80 for each change but it isn't a huge job and it's a lot easier than rebuilding it again.

Rear axle rebuilds are very expensive, expect to pay in the $3000+ range, it's a repair you want to avoid.
I use a 75W-140 synthetic gear oil, usually Mobil 1.  Walmart often has the lowest price.
If you are a DIY-type, a hand powered lube pump is an indispensable tool.
Amazon.com: Plews 55001 Lubrimatic Fluid Quart Pump, Fits Standard Quart...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
"If you are a DIY-type, a hand powered lube pump is an indispensable tool."

You're right on Larry!

The last time I used one was to service my '77 International Scout II that I drove and maintained for 24 years. But, not so sadly, those days are well behind me.  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
"I'm lowering the change interval to 30,000 miles."
----
Larry, would the 50,000 mile rear axle fluid change interval still hold *if* one is well under the GVWR and doesn't tow?  
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Change gaskets as well or just fluid? Thanks
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Reply #10
"I'm lowering the change interval to 30,000 miles."
----
 would the 50,000 mile rear axle fluid change interval still hold *if* one is well under the GVWR and doesn't tow?

Because we tow, I'm changing to a more frequent interval.

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Change gaskets as well or just fluid? Thanks

The differential cover doesn't use a gasket, instead an RTV silicone sealant is used.
Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker -...
Make sure to clean the old silicone off the cover and  differential housing's mating surface before resealing.

Larry
Larry