Skip to main content
Topic: What books do you recommend? (Read 1733 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: What books do you recommend?
Reply #50
I will speculate that perhaps all of us here on the LDO forum, sometimes or perhaps all the time use our motorhomes to explore the world and “get closer to nature” (whatever that means to each of us).

In much the same way that John McPhee’s excellent Annals of the Former World expands our understanding of the geology we see around us, Ed Yong accomplishes for the animal kingdom in his excellent, recently published, An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us.

If you have ever wondered what it’s like to be another animal (or what it's like to be you!), this is the book for you. The content is constantly surprising and hugely entertaining.

Jim
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Reply #51
Haven't read that one, but I did recently finish
 Ways of Being
by James Bridle.

"... “In his survey of the intelligence of plants, animals, and artificial intelligence, [James Bridle] synthesizes an impressive range of contemporary scientific research while also drawing on Indigenous and non-Western ways of knowing that have long recognized the significance of nonhuman modes of thinking . . . ..."

<Soapbox>
I'd like to suggest ordering at your local bookstore rather than the cheaper Amazon.  The few more dollars you spend is more likely to stay in your community.  Nothing against Barnes and Noble, but our local independent bookstore is a resource well worth preserving.
</Soapbox>
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #52

<Soapbox>
I'd like to suggest ordering at your local bookstore rather than the cheaper Amazon.  The few more dollars you spend is more likely to stay in your community.  Nothing against Barnes and Noble, but our local independent bookstore is a resource well worth preserving.
</Soapbox>

As a resident of Portland, I second this idea.   We have  Powell's.   They claim to be the world's largest independent bookstore.   I haven't been to all of the world's bookstores but I'm sure they are not far from the truth.  As an aside, I've spent many an hour wondering about the aisles of this remarkable bookstore.   IMHO if you like books and you are in Portland, Or it's worth your time to check this place out.  

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #53
To be back on topic -- I really like this series of books. Roadside Geology.   I use the Oregon and Washington books all the time.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #54
As a resident of Portland, I second this idea.   We have  Powell's.   They claim to be the world's largest independent bookstore.   I haven't been to all of the world's bookstores but I'm sure they are not far from the truth.  As an aside, I've spent many an hour wondering about the aisles of this remarkable bookstore.   IMHO if you like books and you are in Portland, Or it's worth your time to check this place out. 

We have spent several wonderful afternoons, wandering the endless isles of books at Powell's, and will return again this coming summer.
The technical book section could trap me for days
It's surprising to find such a place in a world with fewer and fewer bookstores. It's worth a trip to Portland.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #55
I just finished "Life on the Mississippi" by Rinker Buck.  Buck's writing style is similar to John McPhee's ,  one of my favorites.  If you like a great first person travel adventure and the history of the areas he passes through with primary sources listed, this may be a great book for you.

It was for me.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #56

Anything by John McPhee. It's just about impossible to go wrong with any of his 31 books. This is a writer who can take subjects as diverse as the New Jersey Pine Barrens, basketball player and politician Bill Bradley, the US Merchant Marine, farmers' markets, the Alaskan wilderness, and a failed aircraft venture, and make them into compelling books. McPhee even wrote a whole book about oranges (!) that is fascinating reading. There are few better nonfiction writers in the US.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #57
"What Books do you Recomend..."

Might I make a recommendation of my own? How about a change of thread headline from what it is now to "What's in Your Library?"

Moderators???
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!