Skip to main content
Topic: Name changes in Yosemite Valley (Read 402 times) previous topic - next topic
Name changes in Yosemite Valley
I really love Yosemite Valley. There’s so much to enjoy...well maybe not the crowds during the summer, but overall it’s an amazing place.

In 2015 things changed a little. Delaware North Company was no longer the holder of concession rights in Yosemite. It took the NPS to court over the matter. 

DNC insists that the NPS took them for a financial ride and that they, DNC, simply want to be compensated for their part in the change of hands for the concession. Lots to understand. But as I read it, it seems fairly straight forward.  I believe the court battle is still lingering on.

I found some interesting data about the court proceedings that may be of interest to some on LDO. Just information... nothing more.   DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite, Inc. vs. The United States of America -...

Food for thought. I’ll go over the details again over a cup of Starbucks next month while “Down In The Valley”. ☕️

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Name changes in Yosemite Valley
Reply #1
I really appreciate the broad range of interests & ferreting out information that members bring to this site.  I don't just learn about LD specific stuff, but all sorts of other topics...& even coffee (though I'm not an aficionado myself   :D ).

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #2
I don't particularly care about the contract squabbles.  As far as I am concerned it will always be Ahwahnee Hotel,  Curry Village, Yosemite Village and Yosemite National Park.
Same thing with 'marsh hawk', 'rufous sided-toweee' and others.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
I don't particularly care about the contract squabbles.  As far as I am concerned it will always be Ahwahnee Hotel,  Curry Village, Yosemite Village and Yosemite National Park.
Same thing with 'marsh hawk', 'rufous sided-toweee' and others.

Agreed, I don't really care what they call the buildings.  Just give me this view and a cuppa Joe and I'm good!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
'Commercialization' and concessions in the national park system are of long-standing, and well entrenched in every national park. AFAIK, virtually no 'visitor services' in any national park are run/managed by the NPS.

NPS Commercial Services

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
This list of NP concessioners might be of interest to some:

NPS Commercial Services

Note: Aramark is a current concessioner in Yosemite NP; it is ot listed on the above site.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Note: Aramark is a current concessioner in Yosemite NP; it is not listed on the above site.
Yosemite Hospitality, LLC is a subsidiary of Aramark.
On development:  the current congressional incumbent in whose district Yosemite resides, when first elected and never having visited, thought a Glacier Point aerial tram would be a dandy addition. 
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #7
Yosemite Hospitality, LLC is a subsidiary of Aramark.
---
Thanks, Joel! Aramark has many tentacles..... ;) 

And, oh, yes, an aerial tram would be just peachy; maybe it could run between a McDonald's slapped up on Glacier Point and a Starbucks in the valley? How about a really swell zipline!? Or, a water park!?

::)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
And, oh, yes, an aerial tram would be just peachy; maybe it could run between a McDonald's slapped up on Glacier Point and a Starbucks in the valley? How about a really swell zipline!? Or, a water park!?  ::)

Why not, if it's good enough for the Swiss Alps . . .   ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J644_TgJc7I
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Thanks Joan for the links to the NPS data. Extremely interesting and serves to highlight the true complexity of the DNC vs NPS et al boondoggle.

Now for the zip line and the Big Mac on my down to a dip in a Majestic pool...oh and that double moca Frapachino at Star Bucks.

Kent

Reply #11
The skydiving company works out of the Mariposa-Yosemite airport and the drops on their video appear to be in the foothills.  They probably fly over the valley before dropping you.
Am sure there'd be a closer starbucks  from the LZ than the valley.

They do allow hang gliding under certain controls. 
Hang Glide Yosemite

BASE jumping isn't countenanced, survivors may be cited.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #12
Not quite Starbucks...

...Peet’s makes it to “Curry” Village. Mmmm...Turmeric, Ginger Latte...ahhh.

Floods have passed through the Valley. Looks like they had risen about six feet above the Merced. Many areas still a bit “soggy bottomed”.

Kent

Reply #13
Well there you are...Starbucks. It looks like the NPS has embraced caffeine vendors more than I thought. Starbucks and Peets are in the Valley.

Yosemite Lodge At The Falls has had some interesting changes made at the cafeteria beyond their inclusion of the Starbucks. The cafeteria seating now includes booths along the windows and a clean, modern serving area which includes Preorder Touch Screens in the waiting line that are able to service various Language speakers. Pretty sweet actually.

Things they are a changing.

Kent

Reply #14
Nice to have a choice, I guess. I'll take Peet's over Starbucks, given the choice. 

I wonder if you'll be arrested if you don't order and just sit there to take in the view?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
“Change” is not necessarily “progress”. 😒
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
Is the Yosemite Starbucks closing on 5/29 for training?
From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a single step.
Napoleon  Bonaparte

The Ahwahnechee or Awahnichi (″Yosemite Valley People″) are a Native American people who traditionally lived in the Yosemite Valley, which they called Ahwahne. They are related to the Northern Paiute, Mono people, and even more closely to the Southern Sierra Miwok. They were known to their Northern Paiute neighbors as Wea Dukadu ("Acorn Eaters").[1] The Ahwahnechee people's heritage can be found all over Yosemite National Park source

<RANT>
And we are supposed to call it the 'Majestic Hotel' over a petty missing patch trademark dispute?
</RANT>

with some apologies,
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke