Skip to main content
Topic: For those looking for a very light car to tow...  (Read 509 times) previous topic - next topic
For those looking for a very light car to tow...
Here ya go... 8)
click on this
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: For those looking for a very light car to tow...
Reply #1
It would, of course, be sacrilege to tow that, even though it strongly resembles a toad. ;)
Trailering, however, would be totally appropriate.
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #2
I don’t think that me the wife and dog would all fit in that lol.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #3
I think I'll pass, no seatbelts for safety.....
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #5
Seriously though,  I would like to tow something under #3000 with my F350, 23.5 ft 2001 TK.  I would like an automatic,  any suggestions?  would it slow me down a lot?  I usually go about 55 - 60 mph. TYIA
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #6
Ford Fiesta SE automatic shift is approved by the manufacturer to be towed up to 70 mph.  We just bought a 2015 and ordered the parts to build the toad.
2016 MB "Idyll Daze"

Reply #7
"I would like to tow something under #3000 with my F350, 23.5 ft 2001 TK.  I would like an automatic,  any suggestions?  would it slow me down a lot?  I usually go about 55 - 60 mph."
----
Your 23.5' TK is an E-350; it has a GVWR of 11500 pounds. People do tow with this, but even a light toad will require beefing up the hitch. Towing anything does stress components, particularly the transmission and brakes.

Look at this site and check the potential toads with automatics; choices will be 'older' models.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

You might also look at the Remco site; they may offer a 'mod' kit for a particular automatic transmission vehicle to allow it to be towed 4-down.

As always, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
We're towing a 2002 Honda CRV (pushing 5,000 lbs loaded) with our 1995 TK. I believe the hitch has been beefed up.
We use the RVI2 braking system and Blue Ox hardware.
This is our third major haul in 4 years which includes an Alaska trip.

No problems.
I drive prudently and use the motor/transmission to keep brakes from heating up.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Hi Alphpup; The GVWR of an E350 (Econoline cut-away chassis) is 11,500# for my '99 with the V10. The GCWR with my 3:73 differential gear ratio is 15,000#. If you can keep the weight of the motorhome to below 11,000 pounds, you could tow the maximum weight that your hitch can handle, 4000 pounds without changing the hitch. Your 2001 appears to be rated the same as my 1999. If for some reason you have the 4:10 rear end ratio you can pull more weight with a GCWR rated for 18,500 pounds total. You would need an auxiliary braking system on whatever you were towing over the GVWR of 11,500#. The bumper hitch can't pull that 7000# weight. You would risk ripping the back of the motorhome off with the bumper.
   I'm surprised that Ted can pull that 5000 pound CRV without issues, but he must be very careful and keep an eye on those bolts that attach the receiver to the bumper (See Larry's pictures of his bumper/receiver attachment bolt problems).   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
Ford Fiesta SE automatic shift is approved by the manufacturer to be towed up to 70 mph.  We just bought a 2015 and ordered the parts to build the toad.
How does the transmission check out now?  Sad to say I've heard some not-too-nice things about those transmissions.
Ford PowerShift Transmission Class Action Settlement (Focus & Fiesta) |...
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #11
Well, the Ford dealer did not tell us about the problems with the transmission.  We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the information.
2016 MB "Idyll Daze"

Reply #12
Hi Alphpup; The GVWR of an E350 (Econoline cut-away chassis) is 11,500# for my '99 with the V10. The GCWR with my 3:73 differential gear ratio is 15,000#. If you can keep the weight of the motorhome to below 11,000 pounds, you could tow the maximum weight that your hitch can handle, 4000 pounds without changing the hitch. Your 2001 appears to be rated the same as my 1999. If for some reason you have the 4:10 rear end ratio you can pull more weight with a GCWR rated for 18,500 pounds total. You would need an auxiliary braking system on whatever you were towing over the GVWR of 11,500#. The bumper hitch can't pull that 7000# weight. You would risk ripping the back of the motorhome off with the bumper.
   I'm surprised that Ted can pull that 5000 pound CRV without issues, but he must be very careful and keep an eye on those bolts that attach the receiver to the bumper (See Larry's pictures of his bumper/receiver attachment bolt problems).   RonB

I posted a thread "Tow Hitch" that shows pictures of my hitch. I believe the first owner modified it.
Also, the weight is more like 4,000 and not 5,000. My mistake.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Thanks for the feedback everyone
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #14
If you are looking for something under 3,000 pounds, we're towing a 2017 Chevy Sonic 4-door.  It comes in around 2,750 before we load the trunk with extra things that won't stow in the LD.  It's automatic and can be towed 4 on the ground.  We have a Blue Ox baseplate and a Blue Ox Avail tow bar with an SMI brake system installed.  It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to hook or unhook the car, and with an on/off switch for the brake system, it's a breeze.  The only thing needed after hooking up is to put the car in neutral, turn the key to ACC and bypass the 2A DLIS fuse.  It's not an off-road vehicle, but we're fine with that.  It's comfortable, is remarkably roomy inside, and has a large trunk.  Works for us.
David and Marie Philbrick
Proud former 2017 27' MB Owners

Reply #15
The only thing needed after hooking up is to put the car in neutral, turn the key to ACC and bypass the 2A DLIS fuse
I got one of these from CrampingWorld that makes the disconnect a switch flip
Bypass Switch
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE