Skip to main content
Topic: 12 Volt DVD Player Recommendation (Read 247 times) previous topic - next topic
12 Volt DVD Player Recommendation
I have a 2017 MB.  Can anyone recommend a 12 volt DVD player to plug into (HDMI) the Jensen TV in the back?
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Re: 12 Volt DVD Player Recommendation
Reply #1
I've been wondering about that, also.   A similar question is how practical, power wise, is a small inverter plugged into the 12v system that will allow a 110v dvd to run off of it.   I'm assuming the 110 dvd will draw less then 200 watts.     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
Had a Blaupunkt 12 volt DVD player at one point but lost it in a break in at the storage facility Ruby sat in. I couldn’t find one to replace it. That is 10 years ago?

Since then i’ve just bought 12 volt TVs with DVD players built in. We are Weekend Warriors so when we get out we really don’t watch TV or DVDs anyway. I can’t remember using the DVD in the last number of years.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #3
Glenn,

I use an inexpensive inverter to power my Samsung Blu-ray player in our ‘15 RB. I generally run it for a couple of hours at night and occasionally for a movie during breakfast.

Having two 100 watt panels on the roof, I have never had an issue draining the coach batteries and seldom get them below 12.5 volts. I’ve never given much thought to using the inverter to power the player actually.

I suppose a 12 volt dvd or Blu-ray player would be a good idea. It’s just that it’s never been an issue for us. Something to look into after all the Jensen TV is a 12 volt system.

Here’s a link that Allen posted a little while back. It has several 12 volt appliances available.

http://www.my12voltstore.com/mobile/default.aspx

Food for thought. Thanks

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Now is probably a good time to swap over to digital downloads. Smaller footprint and a tablet consumes much less power.
1983 20'

Reply #5
We use a Bestek 12v power inverter.  It plugs into the 12v outlet near the tv.  That outlet is switched, but the Bestek also has a switch on it.  The inverter has two 110 outlets and 2 USB connections.  We have plugged into it the 110v DVD player and a 110v VCR (yes, old tech, but we have lots of old VCR tapes).  We also have one of these inverters plugged into the 12v outlet under the dinette and it sits on the table top.  Into it we plug our phone and tablet chargers, and also a small 110v table lamp.  That inverter is also controlled by its own switch.  We have had no problems at all watching tapes, DVDs, or tv.   (Well, to be honest, the one drawback is that we need several remotes to make it all work.  I leave all that to Kathy -- she loves to label things.  Good that she does when it comes to remotes!)
2017 RB

Reply #6
I concur with Mike and went 1 step further.  I ripped all of my DVDs using Winxdvd and loaded them onto a small portable HDD.  The HDD plugs into and gets its power from a Micca Speck G2.  You can use a Roku that has a USB port or WD player.  But you would need a DC adapter or small inverter to power the Micca unless your tv has a powered USB port.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #7
We use a Bestek 12v power inverter.  It plugs into the 12v outlet near the tv.  That outlet is switched, but the Bestek also has a switch on it.  The inverter has two 110 outlets and 2 USB connections.  We have plugged into it the 110v DVD player and a 110v VCR (yes, old tech, but we have lots of old VCR tapes).  We also have one of these inverters plugged into the 12v outlet under the dinette and it sits on the table top.  Into it we plug our phone and tablet chargers, and also a small 110v table lamp.  That inverter is also controlled by its own switch.  We have had no problems at all watching tapes, DVDs, or tv.  (Well, to be honest, the one drawback is that we need several remotes to make it all work.  I leave all that to Kathy -- she loves to label things.  Good that she does when it comes to remotes!)

Ray S.
What watt Bestek do you have?
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #8
Since you’re plugging into a 12v socket you are limited by the fusing of that socket in the 110 to120 watt area. Doesn’t matter if you have a 150 watt or 1,000 watt inverter.

I have a cheap 300w pure sine wave for the laptop and small printer.

Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #11
Yes, Huskerblue is correct re the 12v 150 watt limit.  We bought the 300 watt because I wanted a switch on the inverter and I liked the integrated cooling fan.  We have the inverter plugged into the 12v outlet that is switched just as the 12v tv is switched.  We have a DVD player plugged into one of the inverter outlets, and an old VCR plugged into the other.  Of course, since we have only one tv, we never have a reason to have both DVD and VCR on at the same time.  We also don't charge phones off of that inverter.  So far, we have had no issues watching a DVD or an older VCR tape. 
2017 RB