Skip to main content
Topic: Recertifying and Refinishing Propane Tanks (Read 619 times) previous topic - next topic
Recertifying and Refinishing Propane Tanks
We have a 2006 23.5' RTK.  I recently read in an "RV Tips" book that propane tanks must be somehow "certified" every 10 years or propane suppliers may not fill them.  Living in California, they'd probably arrest me and confiscate my LD!

Couldn't find any reference in the LD Bible for such a requirement.  A label on my tank seems to indicate that it was built in 2003, even though my LD is a 2006 unit, probably assembled in 2005.  Anyone have any information on this requirement?  If I have to have this done, where would I get this "certification" done, what does it cost, and what would it consist of?

On another subject, has anyone else with the tiny 6 gallon tank on this model LD faced the "5-gallon minimum" pirates who charge you for 5 gallons even though our tanks, if completely empty, would hold only 4.8 gallons?  Very frustrating....
2006 RTK

Re: Need to have propane tanks "re-certified"?
Reply #1
'Re-certification' applies to the removable DOT propane 'cylinders'/tanks, not to the fixed ASME tanks on our LDs.

The propane tank on my 2003 TK has a nominal capacity of 9.9 gallons; this is the same as your 2006. If you look on the underside of the propane tank, this number is stamped into the tank. The *maximum* fill for this tank is about 7.8 gallons. The gauge on the tank is only a rough suggestion of what might be in there; in almost 15 years, I've never put more than 5 gallons into the tank, even when the gauge read almost empty.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
"The gauge on the tank is only a rough suggestion of what might be in there;..."

Once again, this is an area where the Garrett Ind. 'See Level' system is the best option. After filling the LP tank you then calibrate it to show 100% and you know, without doubt, when you will need to refill the next time.  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Sorry to say the factory materials with my 2006 23.5' RTK indicate that the propane tank is only 6 gallons.  I have run it down to less than 1/4 tank on the guage, and it has never taken more than 4 gallons of propane to fill it to 80% (3/4+ on the guage). 

Vince tells me they framed this unit for a much larger tank in 2007 on, but he didn't feel that there was any way to modify my LD for a larger tank.

Great news about not needing to get the tank re-certified.  Anyone with a 2006 able to add a larger tank?
2006 RTK

Reply #4
"Sorry to say the factory materials with my 2006 23.5' RTK indicate that the propane tank is only 6 gallons."
----
You might be confusing the capacity of the water heater with that of the propane tank in your LD; the water heater has a 6-gallon capacity, and the propane tank has a nominal 10-gallon capacity.  (The listings follow one another on the spec sheets.)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5

While the permanent, horizontally mounted tanks do not need periodic inspection, they do need maintenance.
The propane tanks are epoxy coated, great as long as the coating remains intact but when the tank gets nicked or scratched, rust will start and spread under the paint. Gravel roads can knock the paint off the bottom of the tank.
Many times, the paint can lifted off in sheets, once rust starts.

To repair, scrape off any loose paint and lightly sand the bare surface. Next, give the rusted areas a couple coats of Naval Jelly.
Naval Jelly chemically locks up the rust, inhibiting future rusting. Once dry, it can be painted or left bare.
I do this annually.
Amazon.com: Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver 16-Fluid Ounce (553472): Home...

Naval Jelly is available any good home center or paint store.

Even though the horizontal tanks do not require inspection, they can rust badly enough to require replacement.
If you have questions, consult with a large propane dealer, asking for an inspection.
Heavy rust pitting are grounds for replacement. Leaks can be deadly.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
We have a horizontal tank in our 89 LD.It clearly states that it needs recertifying in x years and the original date (stamped - indented text in the top half left area) so it easy to know when it needs recertification. It is a vertical remiveable tank.I believe this is not the original tank since there is no float to tell the monitor inside the LD how full it is.  We use a propane detector pen that works pretty well.
Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker
|
|
|

|   $ 39.94   |    |
|
|
|

|    |

Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker

Make life easier when you use liquid propane gas for appliances in your camper, RV, boat, or home. The LP Gas Checker tells you in just a few seconds how full-or empty-a propane tank is. Easy to carry or store is about the size of a writing pen and w |   |
|
|
Jane

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #7
We have a horizontal tank in our 89 LD.It clearly states that it needs recertifying in x years and the original date (stamped - indented text in the top half left area) so it easy to know when it needs recertification. It is a vertical remiveable tank.

The vertical, removable tanks do need recertification every 12 years.
Many large propane dealers will perform this service. It's probably cheaper to test and certify a tank than it is to replace it.
Our 1983 LD had the same tank and it needed to be removed for refilling, it was heavy!

Interesting that the vertical tanks are protected, inside a cabinet, and require recertification.
The fully exposed, horizontal tanks never require recertification.
Go figure.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
"We have a horizontal tank in our 89 LD......... It is a vertical remiveable tank."
----
OK, I'm confused (my usual state); is the tank in your '89 an ASME tank (horizontal, fixed) or a DOT tank (vertical, removable)? I think you may be referring to a DOT cylinder, mounted horizontally and secured by two bolts into the compartment, per the image at this page link?

Manchester Tank: RV Products

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
"We have a horizontal tank in our 89 LD......... It is a vertical remiveable tank."
----
OK, I'm confused (my usual state); is the tank in your '89 an ASME tank (horizontal, fixed) or a DOT tank (vertical, removable)? I think you may be referring to a DOT cylinder, mounted horizontally and secured by two bolts into the compartment,

It's a removable, vertical DOT tank, looks like an overgrown BBQ tank.

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
Looks like this.  This one is Gertie's. The older LD's used this configuration.  As Larry said, very heavy but if you had a way to transport it you could get it refilled and continue boondocking so it was convenient in that sense.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
My confusion came from the OP's description of the tank as both horizontal and vertical.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Looks like this.  This one is Gertie's. The older LD's used this configuration.  As Larry said, very heavy but if you had a way to transport it you could get it refilled and continue boondocking so it was convenient in that sense.

I used to remove our 1983 LD's propane tank and take it to be refilled, if the rig didn't need gasoline, at the same time.
I was a lot stronger (and dumber) twenty years ago. The way the tank's fill valve was situated, it needed to be removed from the LD to be refilled.
It's really heavy when filled.

Larry

Larry

Reply #13
I have never used naval jelly before, but scraped the loose paint off my propane tank and put some on for 5-10 minutes and rinsed it off per instructions on bottle.  Did this 3 times leaving it on a bit longer the third time.   It still looks rusty, but lots of areas turning white more with each application.

My question if anyone can recommend, should I leave it on much longer like an hour and rinse off.  Or not rinse off. 

I am planning to paint with rustoleum but did not buy primer next.
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX
rvingjaygwynne.wordpress.com

Reply #14
I have never used naval jelly before, but scraped the loose paint off my propane tank and put some on for 5-10 minutes and rinsed it off per instructions on bottle.  Did this 3 times leaving it on a bit longer the third time.   It still looks rusty, but lots of areas turning white more with each application.

My question if anyone can recommend, should I leave it on much longer like an hour and rinse off.  Or not rinse off. 

I am planning to paint with rustoleum but did not buy primer next.

This says not to leave it on longer than 15 minutes. How to Use Naval Jelly to Remove Rust

Jim

Reply #15
Hi Jay. I did my tank a few years ago. I left the naval jelly on at least a half hour, maybe longer. I wasn't worried about surface staining, or pitting. I jacked up the side of the motorhome to get better access. I did three or four applications over several days, and put extra on the worst areas. After hosing it off and letting it dry, I used something like sheets of Scotchbrite, soaked with alcohol, and wiped off with several cotton towels. You definitely want to use an auto primer, made for steel sheet metal. There are zinc compounds in it to limit rust from rock hits, which you will get more of. I used about 1 1/2 cans over another two days. It dries fast. I wasn't too concerned about drips and runs, but I should have gone a little slower. After that I put on some 'navy' gray enamel paint. A little over a can's worth. Some people use a white paint, I had the gray. I thought about putting some truck bed coating on the front and bottom where most of the rock impacts were, but  that didn't happen. Mine was a 10 gallon tank.
   A friends 2001 MB spent time in Pa. and Ma. region. The rust was much worse. It took a few days to clean it up, but only one spot was as bad as I thought. It cleaned up and looked good, but I'm glad I cleaned it up well. A few more years and I would have been looking to have it repaired and re-certified. A bad location just behind the front passenger side wheel. It's back in Mass. but spends it's camping time in the south. Maybe not as much road salt.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #16
  A friends 2001 MB spent time in Pa. and Ma. region. The rust was much worse. It took a few days to clean it up, but only one spot was as bad as I thought. It cleaned up and looked good, but I'm glad I cleaned it up well. A few more years and I would have been looking to have it repaired and re-certified. A bad location just behind the front passenger side wheel. It's back in Mass. but spends it's camping time in the south. Maybe not as much road salt.    RonB

I have seen eastern rigs with almost all the paint gone on the propane tank, the result of driving  on salted roads.
The bottom of some of these rigs are covered front to back with thick rust, an unusual and scary thing to someone, like myself, not familiar with badly rusted vehicles. What a mess to work on!
Don't see much rusting here except for long-term beach vehicles.

Naval Jelly has done a good job of stopping the rust on our LD's propane tank.

Larry

Larry

Reply #17
Thanks Ron.  After reading your post I did a few half hour or so applications of the naval jelly.  I did get some primer, probably not automotive specific from a hardware store.   I did about four coats of primer more like six coats of rustoliam paint.  I did see a galvanized spray paint product, not primer.  I could add a can of that or quit.  Little doubt it is already rusting a bit allready, but hopefully I slowed the process.

I have already got my 30 plus year old propane stove (better than the newer version) almost ready for primer and paint.  Had some left over naval jelly...and primer...
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX
rvingjaygwynne.wordpress.com

Reply #18
If you 'add' the cold galvanizing paint to your process, you'll first need to strip off all the new primer/paint for it to be effective. Galvanizing goes on first, so the electrochemical process can work.  Primer/paint would go over it, to protect from UV primarily, and then chips/rocks. (Not a lot of UV under your coach, though.)

As you sit now, you're probably good to go for a decade or so, though. 
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #19
Hi Jay. The primer itself should have zinc as one of the components. An automotive type would have had it. Zinc is expensive and more toxic, so it might not have been included in a 'non specific' primer. Wooden fence posts wouldn't benefit. But the primer is soft, and not all that durable. So you should follow the primer (that is just the 'first' coat) with a more durable enamel top coat.  
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Protective-Enamel-Gloss-Smoke-Gray-Spray-Paint-7786830/100198382               I've used this or similar.   RonB

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB