Skip to main content
Topic: Clearance light (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic
Clearance light

Yesterday as I was cleaning and waxing Baxter I found a broken clearance light on the rear.  I ordered a new one from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Bargman 34-59-001 #59 Series Red Clearance/Side Marker Light:...

Question apart from making sure its the 'right' one is there any tips on installation issues?

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Clearnce light
Reply #1
Yesterday as I was cleaning and waxing Baxter I found a broken cleaning light on the rear.   I ordered a new one from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Bargman 34-59-001 #59 Series Red Clearance/Side Marker Light:...

Question apart from making sure its the 'right' one is there any tips on installation issues?

Good luck. We just removed one while installing a backup camera. The back side of the light was literally filled with polyurethane caulk a 1/4" thick. It took some time prying it off with a putty knife gently and broke apart in the process. I watched the guy who removed it and he taped around the light first with the blue painter's tape to prevent damage.

Of course, ours is an 06 and maybe they stopped doing that later.

Jim
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #2

LD is not big on providing any 'service loop' in its wiring runs. Cutting or disconnecting the wires from a lamp then having them vanish forever is a common occurrence. Suggest clamping them in a pair of hemostats or similar BEFORE disconnecting.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
"LD is not big on providing any 'service loop' in its wiring runs. Cutting or disconnecting the wires from a lamp then having them vanish forever is a common occurrence. Suggest clamping them in a pair of hemostats or similar BEFORE disconnecting."
----
To say that LD is 'not big' on providing a service loop is an tactful understatement; IMO, they are downright cheap! I've never seen any wiring on any LD of any year that offers any 'play'; I hope that anyone who does anything with wires in an LD heeds Steve's advice on securing the wires before disconnecting.  :( 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
"To say that LD is 'not big' on providing a service loop is an tactful understatement; IMO, they are downright cheap!"

Call it cheap if you want Joan, I'd term it 'stingy'!

I'm in the final stages of converting all lighting (except running/marker lights) to LED. Nowhere did I take a fixture down that I did not encounter short wires, as in NO slack at all. In some cases I actually had to insert a jumper to make it work.   ::)   >:(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Clearance light
Reply #5
If the fixture is cracked, then you get into a bunch of issues.  If the red lens is cracked, just pop it off and pop the new one on.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Clearance light
Reply #6
In my experience the side marker light wiring is easily accessed from inside the skirt, so installation should be easy. Also, since you can't see both of them at once, they don't even have to match very well. (ask me how I know!) So the new one might look a little different.  The biggest problem is if the new one is smaller than the old one. That will expose unpainted skirt. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB