Skip to main content
Topic: Propane sniffer (propane detector) (Read 679 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane sniffer (propane detector)
Ruby sits in storage for the most part all winter. The solar panel keeps the batts in good order but there are parasitic draws that I try to keep under control. To me, the biggest parasitic draw is the propane sniffer being on at all times. Have others simply unhooked these, wrapping the open wires or adding an electrical cap to ensure they don’t short on anything?

Thanks, Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Re: Propane sniffer
Reply #1
There is an internal fuse that can be removed.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
If you disconnect the house batteries does that also disconnect the propane alarm?
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #3
Not if connected to shore power, and of course if you have solar, you would have to pull that fuse too.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
When you say internal fuse are you saying it’s inside the guts of the propane alarm? Thx

Reply #5
Yes - pull the unit off with two screws to access it. Tape it to the front to remind you it is disabled before leaving on your next outing.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
You da man Steve, thanks!!

Dave

Reply #7
When you say internal fuse are you saying it’s inside the guts of the propane alarm? Thx

Pull the fuse that powers the propane detector, it's located inside the Power Center, on the 12-volt side (right side).
The stock Power Center's door should have a list that indicates what each fuse powers.

The solar isn't capable of keeping the battery charged with the propane detector's minimal power draw?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
It keeps up but why have the draw?

Also, when it snows the panel gets covered and I can’t always get to the facility right away to uncover and the last two snows started as rain leaving 1/4”+ ice; very hard to scrape off 9 feet off the ground, slippery roof and colder than a well diggers butt!! 🤣

Reply #9
"Also, when it snows the panel gets covered... " 

????????  Now I am confused, I thought we were talking about two devices located 'inside' the coach, no?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
No, I’m talking about the propane detector, the batteries and the solar panel that tops off all things electrical.

The propane detector is something that doesn’t get shut off unless you pull the mentioned fuse. If you have no solar panels then you need a disconnect switch. We actually have one of those but don’t use it often. Even with a disconnect, the batteries slowly drain if the rig sits.

We have an 85 watt solar panel on the roof. It was not standard in 2004 by the way. Also we have an 80 watt GoPower suitcase panel. Anyway, the solar panel tops off the batteries and keeps them conditioned. There are parasitic draws while your rig sits and to me the biggest parasite looks like that sniffer. It bugs me to draw down the batts any more than necessary even if they get topped off the next day because:

- Although Nebraska is a generally sunny place there can be multiple days of clouds.

- in the winter I have to climb up on the roof and push the snow off each time it snows. It is a PITA.

- When we got Ruby I was 45. I’m not 45 anymore and I’m looking for ways to keep me off the roof. Kristine REALLY wants me staying off the roof! One way to help is to minimize the parasitic draws.

Dave

Reply #11
"...I'm looking for ways to keep me off the roof. Kristine REALLY wants me staying off the roof!"

I hear THAT! Wild horses couldn't get me up there these days even if I do live in an area that hasn't seen a snowflake in years and rarely falls below 35°. There was a day, but that was then!   :-[
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Re: Propane sniffermj
Reply #12

I have this LPG detector:

Amazon.com: MTI Industries 30-442-P-BR Safe T Alert 30 Series Propane/LP Gas...

According to the specs, the 12V current draw for this particular unit is 90 mA, or 0.09 A. This amount of 'parasitic draw' seems insignificant to me, even with limited solar to keep the batteries charged (and if the batteries are in good condition), but other LPG detectors may draw more current than the MTI (Safe-T-Alert).

Electrical gurus, please correct/comment/clarify; thank you.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
"Wild horses couldn't get me up there these days...."
----
It really is easier if you use a ladder, Steve!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
“It really is easier if you use a ladder, Steve!”

Dad had me up on roof last time to clean the solar panels, he just handed me the bucket of water from down below. 🤪
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Re: Propane sniffermj
Reply #15
I have this LPG detector:
According to the specs, the 12V current draw for this particular unit is 90 mA, or 0.09 A. This amount of 'parasitic draw' seems insignificant to me, even with limited solar to keep the batteries charged (and if the batteries are in good condition), but other LPG detectors may draw more current than the MTI (Safe-T-Alert).
Electrical gurus, please correct/comment/clarify; thank you.

90 ma adds up to just over 2 amp/hours a day, a small drain that would take a couple months, with no charging, to draw down the coach's 220-amp/hour battery to the point where it needs charging.
If this is the only draw on a system with functioning solar, it isn't an issue.

It's the refrigerator's 'hidden' draw that surprises people. They can't believe it uses as much power as it does.

Larry
Larry

Reply #16
Okay, so what are the parasitic draws when “all items are off” but the batteries are connected? Certainly there is milliamp power to the idiot light panel above the stove, the radio, sniffer, the TV set up (?), the fridge even when off (?).

Thanks, Dave

Reply #17
"The propane detector is something that doesn’t get shut off unless you pull the mentioned fuse. If you have no solar panels then you need a disconnect switch. We actually have one of those but don’t use it often. Even with a disconnect, the batteries slowly drain if the rig sits."

"We have an 85 watt solar panel on the roof. It was not standard in 2004 by the way. Also we have an 80 watt GoPower suitcase panel. Anyway, the solar panel tops off the batteries and keeps them conditioned. There are parasitic"

Hi Dave,

I don't know how your batteries can drain if you use the battery disconnect switch.

Our 2003 has one 85 watt factory installed solar panel which normally keeps our batteries in good shape. But in the winter our rig is covered with an ADCO  RV cover (in Ohio) from mid November until mid April, so I use the factory installed battery disconnect switch to turn off the batteries. I have *never* experienced a battery drain when the disconnect switch is turned off.  And I never pulled the solar fuse or propane detector from the electrical system. When I want to exercise the genset, I turn the batteries back on and fire up the genset for 30-45 minutes, then turn the batteries off again. I have done that around once per month. And I have never had a battery problem.

I do use a hydrometer to check each cell on our Trojan batteries before covering our rig. I suspect that if your batteries are not holding a charge while they are disconnected, they are either old or weak. Or there is something wrong with your disconnect switch.

Steve K......eager for mid April

Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #18
Nope, no problem. Batts are strong. Just trying to figure ways of making the rig better and keeping me off the roof in the winter.

Reply #19
Okay, so what are the parasitic draws when “all items are off” but the batteries are connected? Certainly there is milliamp power to the idiot light panel above the stove, the radio, sniffer, the TV set up (?), the fridge even when off (?).
The LED level indicator light has no parasitic loads, along with the radio and refrigerator, when they are powered down.
The TV has a low draw, if the remote works. The propane detector is the only thing that is constantly on.
It's real simple to eliminate any of these current draws, use the battery disconnect or pull the offending fuses and unplug the TV.

Larry
Larry

Reply #20
Our propane “sniffer” has, occasionally, started beeping and flashing red and green lights. When I push the button it resets and will not beep or flash for awhile. Questions: is it reaching the end of its life? Where do I get an exact replacement?
Dale from Downey. 2012, 27” RB.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #21
Our propane “sniffer” has, occasionally, started beeping and flashing red and green lights. When I push the button it resets and will not beep or flash for awhile. Questions: is it reaching the end of its life? Where do I get an exact replacement?
Dale from Downey. 2012, 27” RB.

What I've read is their life expectancy is 5-7 years. The RV Doctor: Recreation Vehicle Safety Devices

The model number should be on the one you have and I bought my last two through Ebay and Amazon.

Jim

Reply #22
What I've read is their life expectancy is 5-7 years. The RV Doctor: Recreation Vehicle Safety Devices

The model number should be on the one you have and I bought my last two through Ebay and Amazon.

The detectors have their date of manufacture stamped on the back of the device.
Most are labeled to be replace within 60 months of installation.
This comes from the owners manual for our Safe-T-Alert detector

"End of Life Signal –Sensor has a 5 Year Service Life
All 30-441/442-P models include an End of Life (EOL) Signal indicating the sensor has reached the end of its service life and you must replace the alarm. "

Larry
Larry

Reply #23
"End of Life Signal ..."

What form does this "Signal" take? Does it chirp once and done, once and repeat? How is one to recognize this signal as opposed to the normal alarm. Perhaps it kisses you goodnight? 

And should it have given the alarm some time ago, but keeps on functioning otherwise, is it still safe to use?

If it has only a 5 year life span mine should have expired long ago!   ::)  
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #24
It flashes green green red red then chirps. RV Propane Gas Detector Safe T Alert, 40-442-P.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.