Skip to main content
Topic: Coach door latch (Read 301 times) previous topic - next topic
Coach door latch
Has anyone found a way to improve on the latch that holds the door open? On my 27”, 2012, RB, The latch is towards the upper part of the door. It is difficult to secure the door to it when latching it because of leverage. When closing the door it feels as though it bends the door quite a bit before unlatching. Due to this bending during latching and unlatching I’ve had to “re-bend” the door several times to get it to seal properly. I’m just wondering if someone has reinvented the way LD has provided to keep the door open.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Coach door latch
Reply #1
You know, that's one of the small things I liked better about my BT Cruiser -- the coach door had a gas strut to hold it open and keep it from flapping around while going in and out. 

The prongy thing on my TK requires too much torque on the door to get it loose. We bungee the door handle to the passenger side mirror instead. 

I kinda wish LD would consider thinking about possibly at some time in the future maybe taking another look at perhaps finding a better way of holding the door open.
fu
2015TK

Reply #2
Our door closed as described above by Dale.   I polished the strut end on the coach and inside of the catch on the door.  Then I put a small dab of grease on both parts which allows our door to smoothly snap into the latch.   Every few weeks, I clean both areas and apply a fresh dab of grease.   We've not had any problems with the twisting of the door.

Reply #3
Ed & Margie, I thought of the lubrication route but thought that any breeze would cause the door to slam shut. Maybe there is a learning curve as to how much to polish and grease.
  On my ‘91 RB the catch was near the middle of the door and we used a small bungee to hold it to the door handle. On the new one there is nowhere to attach a bungee and it would be too high for my wife to reach if I did find a way.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #4
I try to reach as high as possible on the door for actuation of the catch, to minimize the leverage.

There's a 3M Command broomholder that has a sort of over-center action when clipping things into it. Not sure if it's UV stable enough to be a good substitute, plus it would require a broomstick-sized handle to provide something to grip.  But it is cheap, easy to mount without marking, and provides some level of hold, which you could double or triple up with additional clips.

(I got a couple to stow the awning handle, too. No rattles, no scratches, no mounting holes.)

Command™ Broom Gripper, 1 Gripper, 2 Strips/Pack

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #5
On our RB, we bungee from the latch part that is on the rig to the front of the door handle, but this leaves both doors in the open position - not always what we have in mind.  Usually we just shut the whole door.  Not ideally what is desired, but it does open up a bit of the window that is covered by the door when it is opened.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Reply #6
Hi Dale. I have the metal 'loop' attached to the wall, and the easily broken clip mounted to the door. In the past I have compressed (pliers) the two flat supports to the metal loop together to reduce the size of the 'loop' that fits into the plastic catch on the door. This reduces the force required to latch and unlatch the door. A little judicious bending can get the loop to land in the plastic catch exactly centered. This preserves the catch a little longer. I carry spares for the catch. I enlarged the mounting holes just slightly of my spare catches so that I can move the part a little side to side to fit the metal post (loop) better. I have also filed the plastic catch down a little so it doesn't grab on to the metal part as tightly. In windy situations I have a metal, coat hanger piece, to loop through the fitting when open, to prevent the door from closing. A little red flag on that to remind people to remove the 'keeper' before trying to close the door. (I carry spares for the catch)
   Newer LD's have a metal contraption for the catch. I bought one but didn't use it because it had different mounting holes than the plastic catches.   RonB

An image of what I've been using for years:   RV Designer E265 RV Metal Entry Door Holder - 3"      You may have to rebend the metal base to get the legs to fit existing holes in the wall.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
These are positive latches Your door will not blow shut.
2002 MB

Reply #9
 I'm pretty sure that mine is a Camco. I went on Amazon there's one shown as JR products number 10444 plastic T style door holder. You could probably find them Camping World also. I know that they come in a variety of styles and lengths as well as colors. I like others got tired of the wind slamming my door shut. These also come in metal but I am not sure where to tell you to look.
2002 MB

Reply #11
Also common thru utility trailer supply places, but perhaps not in white.
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #12
"...and the easily broken clip mounted to the door."

Ah yes, the easily broken nylon clip [catch], I remember it well! I went thorough my share of those, even used to carry spares. Then I learned that they could be replaced with a spring steel version and I haven't had an issue since. It's a prudent person who lubricates that connection occasionally!  8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
"I like others got tired of the wind slamming my door shut.".

Yes, mine slammed a couple of times this year scaring the devil out of me. I didn't know there were alternatives.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL