Skip to main content
Topic: Wiring harness stuff... (Read 267 times) previous topic - next topic
Wiring harness stuff...
Here's a bit about wiring harnesses that is relevant to infrequently-driven vehicles, especially in rural areas:
Likely applies to quite a few toads, and I've heard some anecdotal things about camper wiring, though I don't specifically know if Ford is in the mix.  Off-the-shelf primary wires used for wiring accessories may be, however.

Car Manufacturers Sued Over Rodents Eating Soy-Insulated Wires - Slashdot

Has a few links to different articles concerning soy-insulated wires and class-action lawsuits.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Re: Wiring harness stuff...
Reply #1
Don't know if Ford uses soy-based insulation, but mice DO enjoy it, whatever the composition. Rodent repellent is a good idea...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Fresh Cab was often a go to product for deterring rodent visitation🐭.

It’s been nearly impossible to get Fresh Cab lately. After contacting the manufacturer, they responded that they were having supplier issues. However, they have a new product line called “Stay Away” Mouse deterrent.

I’ve just purchased some Stay Away and will attatch a few pouches under the hood of my LD where I currently have Fresh Cab hanging.

So far Fresh Cab has been successful in keeping the little buggers away. I hope Stay Away proves as effective.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Not for sale in IN, DC, NM, MS, CT, ME, SD.

I'm surprised that CA is not on that list. There is a rat poison that can be had in Oregon but yet you cannot buy it in CA!  ??

Another case of Big Brother protecting you from yourself!   ::) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Kinda makes you wonder, huh? If it’s anything like Fresh Cab, you could practically scrape it together from your old Christmas Tree.

Reply #5
Not for sale in IN, DC, NM, MS, CT, ME, SD.

I'm surprised that CA is not on that list. There is a rat poison that can be had in Oregon but yet you cannot buy it in CA!  ??

Another case of Big Brother protecting you from yourself!   ::) 
From experience, I will tell you you never want to use poison. Aside from predator decimation, the dying rat will find the most inaccessible spot to hole up, and you may have to do demolition to remove the carcass, if you can locate it... smell is not that great a locator sense.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Steve,

I agree with you 100%. Poison is not the way to go for so many reasons. Not the least of which is family pet safety.

Just so all our new LDO friends don’t have to dig too deeply into the archive, here’s a repeat episode from LoLoHo on their mice infestation. Warning: This is a crazy episode so don’t forget to invite a friend to watch it with you.

https://youtu.be/xB2GK2CpPBw

Another good reason to be very proactive on mouse deterents.

Kent

Reply #7

Just so all our new LDO friends don’t have to dig too deeply into the archive, here’s a repeat episode from LoLoHo on their mice infestation. Warning: This is a crazy episode so don’t forget to invite a friend to watch it with you.
https://youtu.be/xB2GK2CpPBw
Another good reason to be very proactive on mouse deterents.

A good reason to carry a mouse trap and jar of peanut butter or a box of glue strips

Mice have never been an issue in our 2003 LD, there doesn't seem to be any way to access the interior, except through the doors or window..
Ants are another matter.
LD did a good job of eliminating entrances, especially after they eliminated the hardwired power cord with the detachable Marinco power cord, that plugs into the LD, using the exterior mounted receptacle. 
Previously, the power cord was stored inside, accessed through a small door. The door and cord storage box were not well sealed, providing an access point for mice, they can squeeze through extremely small holes.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
A good reason to carry a mouse trap and jar of peanut butter or a box of glue strips

Or a couple of cats!  :)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Or a couple of cats!  :)

We have had one instance where a mouse got inside the rig. He/she got out in less than a day and have never seen one again. However, this happened when we had two cats. Imagine our surprise when we happened to look over by the sink one evening to see a tiny mouse standing with its front paws on the lip of the cat's water dish on the floor getting a drink and the great hunters were oblivious.

I realize they can enter through tiny spaces but I never could find an opening in the rig where it could have gotten in.

Jim