Skip to main content
Topic: Remove Tracvision Satellite Dish (Read 205 times) previous topic - next topic
Remove Tracvision Satellite Dish
Our new to us 2011 27RB has a Tracvision R6 satellite dome and receiver, presumably installed by the factory.

We've zero interest in having satellite TV on board, so when I get around to redoing the roof seams in the next 6-12 months - removing it would be of interest while I'm up there. I've not laid things out yet, but I'm also interested in adding more solar - so perhaps a panel might go in its place.

I searched, but saw nothing here. Is removing it fairly straightforward? I'm assuming there are holes on the roof that may need patching afterwards?
2011 RB

Re: Remove Tracvision Satellite Dish
Reply #1
Hello syspig.  I was searching and researching satellite options for perhaps the 3rd or 4th time in less than a year.  My projects seem to go that way.  At any rate, I saw that you posted a satellite question about 4 weeks ago and I'll give you my half-baked ideas.

I've not removed a satellite dome from our RV but I've seen the videos on dome installation.  So my uneducated guess is once the dome was removed, there would be a plate or bracket that was screwed to the roof and probably into support beams.  The antenna's cable would need to be removed of course.  At this point, one might have to decide if they want to try to stuff the cable back into the opening or cut it.  A BIG DECISION in my opinion.

Once the mounting plates or brackets are removed and the cable question resolved, then it's time to patch the holes.  A quick search of the LDO Forum on materials/methods for sealing and patching should help you decide which method is best for a roof top application.  One very popular and long lasting solution is to use Eternabond tape.

I'm hopeful that if I have made mistakes in this post, more knowledgeable people will help both of us.

Re: Remove Tracvision Satellite Dish
Reply #2
Once the antenna is removed, I would patch all places where there are drill holes or pass-thru holes with sheet aluminum, glued down to the thoroughly cleaned area with 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant. This will ensure no leaks.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit