Skip to main content
Topic: Mirrors (Read 404 times) previous topic - next topic
Mirrors
The critical importance of using mirrors was emphasized in another thread; this information is a corollary to that, and is directed mainly to those who may still be using 'old-style' side mirrors.

Older LDs, e.g., my 2003, were delivered with Velvac 'standard' side mirrors; these had one large head with a small convex 'doot' in one corner. I found this setup to be almost useless very soon after taking delivery, and changed the mirror heads to the split mirror Velvac 2020 style.  One of the mirrors broke and the other could not be adjusted, so I ordered replacement heads a couple years ago. I found the best prices and service from Mill Supply:

Search | velvac 2020 | Mill Supply, Inc.

I know that newer LDs have more efficient and wider-view mirrors, some with lights and 'defoggers' and whatnot, and that some owners have changed mirror configurations to 'delivery van' styles, but, if your mirrors are still the single Velvac head with the little 'button' mirror in the corner (and you don't want to change out the whole arm and system) the you might consider the split mirror Velvac 2020 heads; far superior visibility over the 'standard' heads for what's behind and to the sides of the rig!

The replacement heads come with a plastic set ring; I suggest using the original metal ring for the best fit. A 3/8" Allen wrench tightens the set screw.

As always, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Mirrors
Reply #1
Thank you for posting this, I had the "dot" until I found a new one on the bay for a good price. What an improvement!
Thanks again.

Langton

2002 27" RB

Reply #2
I'm assuming, Joan, that our 2007 MB has the newer version mirrors you are referring to. I've found that backing up the LD with the side mirrors (standard & large convex), the rear thru-the-rear-window mirror, & the backup camera seems easier - and safer - than doing so in my Honda Odyssey. I suppose that is due to the lack of the convex lenses... and the silly automatic tilting down of the side mirrors when you shift into reverse gear.
2007 MB

Reply #3
"...and the silly automatic tilting down of the side mirrors when you shift into reverse..."

Say what? Never heard of this feature, please expand an explanation.   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"...and the silly automatic tilting down of the side mirrors when you shift into reverse..."

Say what? Never heard of this feature, please expand an explanation.  :o

We had an Acura, with memory mirrors, that would tilt the rear view side mirrors downward when in reverse, enabling a bettor view of things that are short and close by, such as a child or ball.
It was a nice safety feature.
Our Subaru isn't nearly as smart.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Also good to keep an eye on the curb as you're parallel parking.
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #6
"memory mirrors"

What a deal--The 2001 Town & Country that moved in after Mother had to quit driving turned over 120K just before Christmas.  With the pickup for the farm & the LD for traveling, I'm holding out for one last trade & hope it's a "memory minivan" that will take me wherever I want to go & remember where to return me when I'm done...and nobody gets hurt in between.   ;D

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm