Skip to main content
Topic: upper end rebuild on Chvy 350 (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic
upper end rebuild on Chvy 350
Have any of you had the opportunity or the need to remove the intake manifold and heads from a LD Chevy 350. I am trying to do an estimate on man hours for the rebuild of top half (heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, camshaft, lifters, timing chain water pump etc. ) in the Banded Turtle.

Tom Dangelo
Poulsbo, Washington
1989 22' G30

Re: upper end rebuild on Chvy 350
Reply #1
I can't give you a number of hours but make your estimate and double or triple it.
The engine is a tight fit. A few decades ago, my brother and I took three days to change the 350 V8 in my 1977 G-20 Chevy van.
We agreed it took twice as long as a similar pickup would have taken, because of the tight quarters.
To change the cam will require pulling most or all of the front end, to allow getting the old cam out and the new one lined up.

With long list of go fast parts, you shouldn't be rushing this. For best performance, port matching the manifolds, especially the intake, should be on your list. This is an even bigger consideration if the heads have been ported, as the port size can can be bigger than the stocks ports.

It will be interesting to see how it runs.
I have my own project, getting ready to change the engine in my 2001 Cherokee to one with a bit more horsepower and a lot more torque.
4.6L Jeep stroker | Flickr

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Thanks Larry, I have done a lot of port matching and pocket porting over the years. I have all of the necessary tools to do this with minimal problems. You are  right about the camshaft removal and installation. Whilel I am at it I am installing a High Volume water pump and a couple of other goodies. I guess a weeks work,  with a little room for breaks. We will not be doing this project as a "kill of die  before dark, recon mission". Probably 3-4 weeks of down time.  I will keep you posted.

Tom D
The Banded Turtle
1989 22' G30

Reply #3
"I have my own project, getting ready to change the engine in my 2001 Cherokee to one with a bit more horsepower and a lot more torque.
4.6L Jeep stroker | Flickr"
-----
 :o  Well, you'll probably save on tires since the Jeep will be airborne much of the time! 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Larry are you going to go cam change etc.....
1989 22' G30

Reply #5
Larry are you going to go cam change etc.....
From the link above.
Jeep 4.6 stroker build
Jeep 4.0 block, bored .030 inch oversize. Block decked and line bored.
Scat stroker crank and connecting rods. New
Forged Race-Tec pistons. Custom dished and balanced
0630 head - Full Russ Pottenger rebuild, big valve, ported, polished and flow matched.
Rollmaster dual roller chain and sprockets.
Comp Cam 68-231-4
Hesco HP water pump
Late model intake - port matched.
BBK 62-mm throttle body
AEM  UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge and O2 sensor.
Banks exhaust header

As some forum members may remember, deceased forum member Bob Moore had a 1997 Jeep Cherokees that I had built a 4.6L
Supercharged engine for. He unfortunately passed away two weeks before the install was to start.
4.6L Supercharged Jeep engine | Flickr
I bought the Jeep and engine from his estate.
Having no interest in having such a complicated engine in my Jeep, I have reconfigured the engine to better fit our needs for a dependable back country cruiser, along with a healthy increased in low to mid-range RPM power.

I'm going to miss is the whine of the a supercharger.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Gulp. If I thought it was exciting riding with Larry before . . . 😬😳😱  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄