Skip to main content
Topic: 12/28/17 Today, we may be going to the Mothership to order a 27" 2019 LD MB  (Read 1004 times) previous topic - next topic
12/28/17 Today, we may be going to the Mothership to order a 27" 2019 LD MB
its a big decision, and a long wait, I wish I had a trusted friend to co-own it with us, I'm worried we won't use it enough to justify all the costs involved....

Do any of you have any suggestions on the option list pro or con?  I'm not sure if any decisions we make today are final, I'm guessing (but will ask) if we will have some time to change our minds on some of the items, hoping they will reconfirm things before they actually start to build it. I hope to go back to past forum posts today and take notes of some of the suggestions I've read about adding outlets/regular and 12 volt ones, hope they are open to adding some for the family's growing electronics.

Would any of you have LD add a 2nd solar panel or have an outside vendor do it? I need a backup camera, the pricy LD one or aftermarket one? Any idea if it works at night (infrared I think its called)?   What about the LD In motion Satellite antenna (we will use it, had one before) or aftermarket? We don't need the "in motion" so much, just need Direct TV sometimes when camping multiple days, when it rains etc.  Are the heated mirrors with turn signals  worth the cost?

I saw some wi-fi extenders at the RV show, does anyone recommend one? Are there any "secret" options you must know to ask for? Thanks in advance, I know these are "good problems" LOL
Nov 2023, 2012 31’ IB, white/green swoops & swirles, 2009 Mini Cooper, racing green convertible, toad 🐸

We ordered white/gray  2018 27' mid bath 1/3/18 and we are hoping for a July 16th 2019 delivery, sold, and tried a Lithium Travato, wish  I would have kept the Lazy Daze 27’

Re: 12/28/17 Today, we may be going to the Mothership to order a 27" 2019 LD MB
Reply #1
They are closed until after the New Year.  At least that is what Todd told us last week.
2017 RB

Reply #2
Thanks for the heads up, we left a message late yesterday and now won't expect a call back till early next week, we got the factory packet a few weeks ago and don't want to lose our place, but we were too busy with Christmas activities...and its a BIG decision for us!

I wish a used but newer 27" MB LD would pop up quick to help us decide!
Nov 2023, 2012 31’ IB, white/green swoops & swirles, 2009 Mini Cooper, racing green convertible, toad 🐸

We ordered white/gray  2018 27' mid bath 1/3/18 and we are hoping for a July 16th 2019 delivery, sold, and tried a Lithium Travato, wish  I would have kept the Lazy Daze 27’

Reply #3
When I ordered my 2004 30'IB, oh so long long ago, I asked to have the ice maker, coffee maker and box awning deleted. They were and I got credit for them. Steve Newton asked if I intended to install an aftermarket awning and when I said yes he asked to be shown the mounting points so that he could have those areas reinforced during the build.

Although all mechanical devices will eventually have issues, I would not be without my electric step or my back-up camera.

I could have well done without the CB Radio or even the faux wood dash cover but who knew, it looked good at the factory!  8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
We ordered few options on our 2017 RB.  This is our 9th RV, and over the years we have come to prefer some things, and realize we never really needed others.  But, all of us have different needs and uses.  Anyway, I did order what I consider the safety items; rear camera and electric mirrors. I will add a forward and side-view camera system that also can record video after the New Year.  (I am a semi-retired collision investigator by trade.)  I also ordered the extra solar since we boondock so often.  I ordered the battery shut-off, too.  What we expressly did not want are the outside shower, super shocks, electric step, sat dish, CB, and custom cab interior.  After market, I intend to add window awnings.  We use those more than the patio awning, by far.
2017 RB

Today, we may be going to the Mothership to order a 27" 2019 LD MB
Reply #6
We ordered few options on our 2017 RB.  This is our 9th RV, and over the years we have come to prefer some things, and realize we never really needed others.  But, all of us have different needs and uses.  Anyway, I did order what I consider the safety items; rear camera and electric mirrors. I will add a forward and side-view camera system that also can record video after the New Year.  (I am a semi-retired collision investigator by trade.)  I also ordered the extra solar since we boondock so often.  I ordered the battery shut-off, too.  What we expressly did not want are the outside shower, super shocks, electric step, sat dish, CB, and custom cab interior.  After market, I intend to add window awnings.  We use those more than the patio awning, by far.

Reply #7
I would have them add the Twin King table in the back plus the extension. If you plan on only 2 solar panels, have LD add the extra one. If you plan on having 3 or 4, have them added by someone else, AM Solar for instance. Watching TV in the rain with an automatic "dome" has always been sketchy for us.
Dave & Sandy

2014 Mid Bath (Sold)
2018 Newmar3718 on order

Reply #8
Congrats.  Only you can answer if you'll use it enough.  Also how much is "enough"?  I kind of use a rule of thumb using a hotel cost of 100/night.  If I went camping enough to equal the cost of the payment that was enough for me.  That might not work for someone buying new.  I try to go on enough trips that it averages out to 4nights a month 12 months a year for 36 nights out a year.  Remember that some months because of excessive heat or cold so the number is lower.  Also the wife and I have other interests besides camping that also fill weekends (she is still working).  But so far over the almost 6 years I have easily exceeded my goal.

What to add:
...extra 12v power supply in the back (I own a MB).  
...They once offered a magazine rack, that would be nice.  
...The extra solar panel. 
...The backup camera.  (though I do not have one yet and yes I have been saying I should get one for 6 years)

What not to add:
I have never used the CB.
I don't care for in dash GPS units (I like GPS, but ones I can bring indoors to update)
The extra insulation on the holding tanks doesn't seem like that great a benefit.  If it is cold the tanks will freeze anyway and will take longer to thaw out.  

That is really not much of a list.  I really like our MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Yes, I forgot to mention that we did not purchase the in-dash GPS.  I agree with John about updating our Garmin using the desktop computer.   We really like our dashtop Garmin.  We update it once per year.  It really works well.
2017 RB

Reply #10
A very exciting decision. We have a 2015 MB which we ordered new from the factory. The best thing we added was the TK table and extension in the rear between the sofas. We can flip it up and latch it at night but it is down during the day. It gives us a much more comfortable place to eat than the dinette, separate working areas during the day if one of us wants to work on a computer and the other to do the same or work on projects, and generally has essentially created two separate living spaces for us. We also ordered the battery disconnect switch, heated mirrors, extra solar panel, back up camera and an extra 120v outlet in the cab over which we use to charge devices and for our grand daughter who loves to be up there with her "devices."
We also went for the safety items but didn't add much other than what I listed above.  We use a separate Garmin truck/RV nav system rather than an installed one and it works well. We were on a 3 month trip across Canada, the Maritimes to Newfoundland, and back across the northern tier states this summer/fall and the LD performed beautifully for us. Enjoy your new adventures. The wait is worth it!
The Silver Fox
2015 MB

Reply #11
I wanted to introduce my very supportive wife Kristy, who just joined this morning, her forum name is DisneyMom! She is the one making all the final decisions on our LD because I want her to come on this adventure with me. She promised to do all the cooking (and cleaning too, right?) if we got a nice LD. I’m pretty sure I’m the dishwasher, so I’m using paper plates lol

I have only met one of you Dean Ansley and his wife briefly, what a great guy, he has been such a big help. Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations, such a helpful forum!

Reply #12
"Would any of you have LD add a 2nd solar panel or have an outside vendor do it?"

While, at first thought, you might think it prudent to let LD install one or more solar panels, I'd like to interject this:

LD does NOT take into consideration the optimum locations where solar may be mounted. In my case, with one standard panel, they mounted it right next to the A/C cover where, if the sun is aligned just so, most of the panel was in shadow and therefore useless!

An after market company, such as AM Solar, will know and understand that there are good and not so good positions to give optimum benefit from a high dollar investment.   ::)  My suspect panel was relocated at the earliest opportunity!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #13
As long as we are talking options, I'd like to hear more opinions on the electric step. The mothership is about to start on my third LD (first new). #1 did not have an electric step, #2 did. After hearing a lot of negatives on this forum about the electric step I left it off the option list, but now I'm having second thoughts.

From my experience -

For my age, stepping up without the step deployed is do-able, but I wonder for how long. With the manual step I often just left it in.

I was always concerned about the electric step malfunctioning and not retracting leaving me no option but to crawl under the rig and remove it. This never happened in the lifetime of the rig, but I was good about maintaining the step.

I was always concerned about forgetting to store the manual step, or storing it incorrectly. Yes you can tie reminder ribbons or whatever, but you have to remember the ribbon.

On the first rig a service shop deployed the (manual) step for some unknown reason, and must have driven with it down. The step was totaled and the mothership had to rebuild the step well.

Laurie - 2018 RB

Reply #14
Tiger,

When ordering our 2015 RB, we included several options on the list. None of which I regret purchasing.

Extra Solar Panel ✔️

Wooden Dash Kit ✔️

Power Heated Mirrors ✔️

Outdoor Shower ✔️

Battery Cutoff ✔️

Satalite Dish (manual) ✔️

So far all but the Sat Dish has been brought into play. One day...no doubt.
I wanted the wooden dash kit because I have it in both my other vehicles and I figured if I’m spending that much on the Best Class C on the market, I may as well give an added splash to the dash. Besides a plain plastic Ford dash is, to me, very unappealing.

Since ours is the RB and already has the added 12 volt outlet below the dinette table I saw no need for another, but it could be a nice addition for another floor plan.

I take it that you have had an opportunity to view as many LD models as possible. Like you, my original choice was the MB but swung quickly to the RB without the Entertainment Center Option.

Also, like you, it was a huge decision on my part to order new rather than purchase a previously owned LD. Traveling was our goal not piddling away my time fixing things on the side of the road as my DW waited “patiently” in the rig.

Good on you for going new. It was the best decision I have ever made. And I too, am blessed with a very supportive better half.

Enjoy your wait and pleasant travels when your dream rolls off the assembly floor.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #15
My personal opinion, no electric step.  I find the manual step easy to use and have never had a problem with it.

As to solar panels, there is a bigger question to be answered.  How much solar do you need?  If you will only need one or two panels, you can have the mothership install them.  If you need more, the best thing to do is to get none from the mothership and have AM Solar work with you to determine your needs, and have them install them.  (I have five panels.)  Another thought regarding panels, the mothership used to install their panels in contact with the roof. I don't know if that is still their means of installation.  Heat degrades panel efficiency.  Mounting panels to the roof prevents air circulation below the panel, making the panel run hotter.  AM Solar keeps a ventilation space underneath.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #16
Another thought regarding panels, the mothership used to install their panels in contact with the roof. I don't know if that is still their means of installation.  Heat degrades panel efficiency.  Mounting panels to the roof prevents air circulation below the panel, making the panel run hotter.

Just a quick note to mention that on my 2009 MB, the 2 solar panels installed by the factory are raised about an inch or so.

Reply #17
Just a quick note to mention that on my 2009 MB, the 2 solar panels installed by the factory are raised about an inch or so.
On my '02, ditto.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #18
"If you will only need one or two panels, you can have the mothership install them.  If you need more, the best thing to do is to get none from the mothership and have AM Solar work with you to determine your needs, and have them install them."
----
Agreed; I think Ken's one or two panels suggestion works for most owners. But, if I were ordering a new LD, I'd want the rig delivered sans any solar components in favor of having a system custom designed, matched, and installed with the components I want, including the converter, by Quality RV Solar in Fremont, CA. (Dan is an authorized installer for AM Solar.) Ditto on the installation of a back-up camera system and a cell booster. 

However, Lazy Daze is not a custom builder; factory-direct, yes, but not custom. Although the factory may agree to make minor changes before delivery, if one wants a custom product or installation on a new LD (or any LD), one goes to aftermarket suppliers or orders the 'parts' and does the custom work themselves.

I know very few LD owners who have not tweaked, customized, and personalized their rigs in some ways; some focus more on cosmetics ('feathers'), some on system and component upgrades ('guts'), and some are professional-grade 'improvers' whose work is never done!  ;)

If I were ordering a new rig, there would be no LD-installed options on it.

As always, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
In regards to the manual coach door step, there is now a red “dummy” light on the dash in plain view that illuminates when the step is down and the Ignition key is turned.

This has saved my backside on at least two occasions. When ordering our RB we opted out of the electric step not because of a pure maintenance perspective but due to the deployment time of the step.

The last thing I wanted was for my DW to expect the step to be there before it deployed.

It is my understanding that there is a “lockout” switch that when activated prevents the step from retracting when opening and closing the coach door. At the time, I was unaware of such a switch. Does it in fact exist? I’m not really sure.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #20
So my recollection of buying Ruby back in 2004 was when we asked Ed whether we should order the electric step he yelled, “ NOOO, it,s just another thing that can break!!!”

Thus, we couldn’t get the electric step even if we wanted it! LOL!!! 🤣

True story.

Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #21
Yes, there is a switch that toggles between bringing the step in and out with each open/close of the door, and leaving it out (if the engine is off). When I turn the key to start the rig I always hear the comforting sound of the step being retracted.
Laurie - 2018 RB

Reply #22
"After hearing a lot of negatives on this forum about the electric step I left it off the option list, but now I'm having second thoughts."

Hey, it's a mechanical device and as most of us know, sooner than later it will fail. Larry Wade has been more than vocal in reminding me of that fact.

However, that having been said, my electric step is nearly 13 years old and without a single glitch. Yes, you Must maintain it, which will include cleaning and lubrication with the recommended lube. Short of parts breakage or unintended abuse I expect mine to continue to work for some time to come. (Knock on wood, Murphy's Law, etc.)   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #23
Pulled the invoice,  Items added:
Battery disconnect switch 
Backup Camera
Heated Mirrors
All linoleum in coach area, carpet cab only.

Initially opted for manual satellite antenna,  later dropped - not missed in slightest.
Electric door step came with it.   In retrospect, would have added if option.   Single instance of problem - left it deployed for a couple of months and it stuck until relubed ( One Dee Ten Tee error on my part).   Three switches in panel by door: outer- outside light,  middle - door step override,  inner - ceiling light.
Have not used battery disconnect switch much.   When turning it back on, the radio automatcially starts even if it had been off.  Would keep it on the next one.

For some reason, the backup camera only works in reverse by default.  I have to manually turn it on to use. Anyone know how to convince it to come on when starting?

Opted for linoleum for ease of cleaning and use strategically placed throw rugs.

Opted for the mirrors for the electric component,  heating came along for the ride.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #24
After reading Handybobsolar’s blog, I wouldn’t order solar directly from LD. Likewise, most of the non-essential coach options that wouldn’t require massive modifications for running cabling and the like would also be eliminated. My reasoning is that technology and our usage of it changes.  My kids watch their iPads more than a tv. How many RVs are running around with CRT TVs installed that suck energy and waste space? For me, a good cellular plan and a cell booster is a better investment, along with a lot of USB charging ports. I look for ways to save space (multipurpose devices) and amperage. An efficient solar system means less generator usage, and a quieter campsite.  That could just be me, though.
1983 20'