Skip to main content
Topic: tires and wheel combinations (Read 167 times) previous topic - next topic
tires and wheel combinations
Yet another inquiry: The LD 22MMH what I just purchased a little while ago may very well need to have new tires although there is a lot of tread life left on the ones currently on it. I will have Les Schwab look at them and give me an assessment. Should I need new tires I find that the 16.5 is becoming obsolete. That being the case I was wondering whether or not other owns have been faced with this dilemma. What is the correct answer. 16 on wheels and tires. If so what is the tire that you have found to be the best handling  and the associated ride comfort. " She who thinks I listen"  is that part of the equation that needs to be satisfied more than I.

Thanks for the input

Tom D.
Poulsbo WA
1989 22' G30

Re: tires abd wheel combinations
Reply #1
There are very limited tire choices for 16.5" rims; here's the only product offered by Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=8.75&ratio=0&diameter=16.5&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

The E load range tire might provide a harder ride for a 22', but better a harder ride than a too-wimpy, inappropriate application tire.

For motorhome applications, tread is a much lesser wear point than sidewall condition; if the tires on the 22' are 5-6 years old, I suggest replacing them. If they're older and show any signs of checking, cracking, weathering, scuffing, gouging, etc., definitely replace them.

An option would be to replace the 16.5" rims with 16", but this would be an expensive change.
2003 TK has a new home

Re: tires abd wheel combinations
Reply #2
If they're 'serviceable' now, with decent enough tread and they hold air long-term, now might be the time to sell the tires and wheels to someone needing them for a farm vehicle/non-highway vehicle.  Grain truck, hay trailer, etc.  Then look for a package deal from a place like Tire Rack, etc. or for take-offs from a newer salvage vehicle or someone going 'fancy' with their tires and wheels. 

If the tire size is hard to find now, it's not likely to get any better or less expensive next time around.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Re: tires and wheel combinations
Reply #3
Les Schwann quoted 1600.00 and change for a 16 inch package. I have spent that much on a 7 day liberty, back in the day. This sounds reasonable to me. Plus the “peace of mind”that it will give knowing that there are a lot more choices for 16’s. Thank you all for your input.
Tom D.
1989 22' G30