Skip to main content
Topic: LP gas "T" for small tank use. Does it need to be sealed when not in use? (Read 244 times) previous topic - next topic
LP gas "T" for small tank use. Does it need to be sealed when not in use?
I am getting ready to go to TX for the winter and went to fill my LP tank today, and it was dead empty.  I don't recall exactly how much was left in the tank in the fall, but no less then 1/4 tank.  I installed a T last year to allow usage of a small tank and not have to unhook to refill while parked for a longer term.  Is there some plug or seal that I should put on the T and extension hose that I have overlooked?
2003 30' IB

Re: LP gas "T" for small tank use. Does it need to be sealed when not in use?
Reply #1
"Is there some plug or seal..."

No, the extend a stay "Tees" are self sealing... unless there was no tape used when it was mounted. First thing to do is check all fittings with a 'leak detector' fluid (soapy water, etc.) to make sure there are no leaks in the plumbing. And keep an eye on the LP level for a while just in case.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
I should add that I have the hose attached to the T.  There is a brass cap to use when the hose is not connected.  I guess rather than gambling with losing $50 worth of LP, I will disconnect the hose and put the brass cap in place until I reach my campground and am connected to my portable tank.  I used the modification that Terry Tanner showed on his Techsnos article 69.  Thanks for the input.
2003 30' IB

Reply #3
I will check for leaks also.
2003 30' IB

Reply #4
"I should add that I have the hose attached to the T."

Keep in mind that the center leg of the Tee is an input, not an output (presuming there are only three connections, not four, which I have). An internal valve will prevent any gas from exiting by way of that leg. It should not matter if you keep a hose connected, and in my case I do not. Before you connect a small tank to the Tee make sure you have shut the valve off from the main tank. Your small tank will then become the sole source of LP supply.

The small brass cap is only for dust protection, not a seal.   :)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Our LD's Extend-A-Stay extension hose leaks if not connected to a auxiliary tank or capped off.

The second outlet, the one that is the same as 1-lb propane can, doesn't leak, if its cap is removed.
Use both caps, for safety.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
The leak check did show a small leak on the T connection.  It wasn't much fun working outdoors in 18 degree weather, but I believe that I got it fixed.  We leave for TX soon, so I need a safe reliable LP source.  Thanks for the input.
2003 30' IB