Skip to main content
Topic: Sealand 510+ repair experience... (Read 150 times) previous topic - next topic
Sealand 510+ repair experience...
Our toilet in '04 FL was not holding water in the bowl for more than about 30 sec, so I decided to tackle that issue. It turns out this model is FAR easier to work on than the Thetford Galaxy in our '83, which required completely removing the toilet to access any part of it. Removing a couple cosmetic covers was easy, providing access to the bowl clamp assembly, which removed with a few turns of a nutdriver. Then, pulling the vacuum breaker unit straight out the back of the bowl unit - press-fit - released the ceramic bowl to be lifted off, which was not as heavy as I expected. The bowl valve seal and gasket then lift right off.

The rubber gasket cleaned up quickly with 409, but the seal had heavy mineralization interfering with doing its job. I carefully chipped off all of that without damaging it, and cleaned it with 409 and alcohol. The base unit the bowl attaches to at this point has easy access to all the functioning parts of the toilet, should service or replacement be necessary. The ball valve itself had a few mineral deposits I also cleaned off carefully, and was pretty disgusting on the underside, which I cleaned as best I could without making a mess. Once I could actuate the valve without bringing up any of the mess, I reassembled the toilet, also an easy process. Now the leak seems eliminated, with the bowl still holding the small amount of water I left in there four days ago.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Sealand 510+ repair experience...
Reply #1
Over the last 5 years, I've had to clean my toilet twice,  replacing the gasket the first time. Same process that you describe; really straightforward. As you note, it's critical to remove, wash & scrape any/all lime deposits on both hard & rubber surfaces, especially the ball.

We typically leave our RV sitting for weeks between outings. Part of my parking procedure is to fill the bowl up 1/2 halfway to provide a modicum of humidity for the closed up coach. I usually swing by every 2 weeks to run the engine for 1/2 hour, and check all the facilities.

The bowl holds the water nicely, even after weeks, as it slowly evaporates. If it gets around 1-2 inches from the bottom, I'll switch on the water pump and re-fill it.

Reply #2
Unless one lives in an area of extremely hard water, leaving 3"-4" inches of water and white vinegar in the toilet bowl when the rig is sitting helps to keep the bowl, gaskets, and parts free of gunk and mineral deposits.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
I found that wooden popsicle sticks/"craft sticks" were helpful in scraping the mineral deposits off the ball, once they had been loosened by soaking with vinegar. They're hard enough to be good scrapers, yet don't damage the plastic ball, and they can be thrown away after use.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"