Skip to main content
Topic: Kidde fire extinguishers (Read 331 times) previous topic - next topic
Kidde fire extinguishers
   Due to the Kidde fire extinguisher recall, I sent for and received 3 replacement extinguishers from Kidde. Inside each box was an instruction sheet explaining how to return my current used extinguisher and a ground return label. For those who have received the same from kidde: did you indeed return your old extinguisher or just keep it? Why wouldn't I just keep it?
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Kidde fire extinguishers
Reply #1
I would consider the reason for the recall - a safety issue.  To me that indicates the extinguisher might not work if needed.
Analogy:  If the manufacturer recalled your parachute and sent you a replacement,   would you keep and use the recalled unit?
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
The ones I have are still functional. Was thinking of using them as a back up, or disposing of them.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #4
Try it, one time, and throw it away.  They are single use units.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
   Due to the Kidde fire extinguisher recall, I sent for and received 3 replacement extinguishers from Kidde. Inside each box was an instruction sheet explaining how to return my current used extinguisher and a ground return label. For those who have received the same from kidde: did you indeed return your old extinguisher or just keep it? Why wouldn't I just keep it?
Dale from Downey.

Dale, I suspect it's a liability issue in case you try to use it and it fails, or you decide to pass it along to another user.  As others have said, I would not depend on it working.  Either send it back or destroy it.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Ok, ok, ok. I get it. I'll send them back. Thanks to all for your input. You're right. They're replacing them because they're trying to avoid litigation. Companies rarely stand in line to give their product away unless they are forced to do so. It's either that they are doing this to satisfy terms of prior litigation or for fear of imminent future litigations.
Dale from Downey.

Reply #7
Maybe use them as a practice unit.  Learning  how to put at a fire when you have a fire is not the most relaxed time IMHO.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #8
During my working career we had yearly fire training.  Had an 8x10 pan of about 20 gallons of diesel on fire we had to put out with a 10 # extinguisher.  There is definitely a technique to use and it takes practice. 
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #9
Hey, there you go. I think I'll practice and have the wife also do the same. Then we'll send them back empty.
Dale from Downey.

Reply #10
Another example of the value of many brains looking at different angles & arriving at a good end...I learned something, too.  I would not have thought of using a potentially "bad" extinguisher to practice with.  In fact, I've got this ginormously heavy one that ended up in some stuff I bought at an auction, plus one the size of the LD's unit, in the barn (the little one probably came with the barn when Dad put it up in '85).  So my lesson is that I need to get new extinguishers for for the LD & the barn, & use the old ones to practice.  Thx, y'all.   ;)

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm