Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Bolt Size Question (Read 314 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Bolt Size Question
I'd like to replace the two (2) generator bolts under the dinette table in a MB with carriage bolts.  So if anyone knows the size of the existing bolts you'd sure save me some steps.  Otherwise, I'll be back under the LD where I seem to spend more than above some days.  Thanks in advance.

11/29/17 -  We remove the bolts and ours are 3/8" X 3" bolts.  The original nut was a nyloc nut with a metal washer.

Re: Generator Bolt Size Question
Reply #1
I'd like to replace the two (2) generator bolts under the dinette table in a MB with carriage bolts.  So if anyone knows the size of the existing bolts you'd sure save me some steps.  Otherwise, I'll be back under the LD where I seem to spend more than above some days.  Thanks in advance.

Don't know the size but some time back someone mentioned using elevator bolts which are flat instead of carriage bolts which still have a rounded head. I don't think it was in reference to the generator so not sure if it will work for that application.

Jim

Reply #2
Pretty sure the bolts are 1/2" carriage.
Elevator have been used to replace the carriage head bolts when installing solid flooring.
If installing wood flooring, the carriage bolt issue canoe solved by back cutting the panels, to fit over the carriage heads.
If sheet floor is going in, either an additional subfloor is needed or the carriage heads ground down.
Flathead elevator bolts add another choice.
1/2-13 x 1-1/2" Mechanically Galvanized Elevator Bolt | Fastenal

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Countersunk tee-nuts will be pretty flush, too.  Might need to adjust the length of bolts so they don't stick out. Commonly-available sources top out at 3/8-16 -- but here's a source for 1/2-13:  T-Nut 1/2-13 Heavy Duty pkg of 10 | WORKSHOP SUPPLY

Dropping the size down to 3/8 would be fine if you install more of them... but resist the temptation to just downsize them.

Searching for t-nuts instead of tee-nuts will lead you to the wrong stuff -- milling machine hold-down bolts instead of what you're after.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #4
Countersunk tee-nuts will be pretty flush, too.  Might need to adjust the length of bolts so they don't stick out. Commonly-available sources top out at 3/8-16 -- but here's a source for 1/2-13:  T-Nut 1/2-13 Heavy Duty pkg of 10 | WORKSHOP SUPPLY
That's also a good solution for bolts that can be accessed from beneath the floor. Not all can.
Bolt the generator in and then cut the bolts off flush. An angle grinder or Sawzall will work or mark and removed the bolts, individually, and cut them off, using a bench vice to hold them.

Tee-nuts and elevator bolts will still sit slightly above the plywood subfloor surface and their image will telegraph through sheet flooring.

Larry.
Larry

Reply #5
This is quite helpful and very timely.  We're installing a thicker (8.5 mm) vinyl planking that is a click and lock product and it will be glued down.  The vinyl planking has a cork backing and a 20 mil wear surface which will give us a bit of insulation and sound proofing.  We're leaving the carpet in the stairwell and the original vinyl on the toilet pedestal.

I haven't solved the issue with the generator bolts as yet.  The worse case scenario is we'll leave the bolts exposed, which would be somewhat hidden by the dinette table and benches.  The best case is we'll be able to remove enough material from the planking to allow a clean installation over the bolt heads and washers.  Btw, we've hired an Installer with more than 20 years of experience with solid recommendations. 
Do let us know about how he does it and how it turns out.
I would like to hear if it has an effect on how cold the floor gets.
We can keep the LD's interior comfortable in cold weather, except for the floor.   It gets cold!
If I removed the carpet, it would be tempting to add a new subfloor with embedded electric heating cables.
A lot of the places we stay at in the winter have electrical hookups, it would be nice to have a warm floor when it's 25 degrees out.

Larry
Larry

Reply #6
Larry, that is why I not only stayed with carpet in the back, but added throw rugs in front of the wardrobe and the entry area.  Cold feet are an issue when fulltiming, and arising on a cold winter morning.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
Larry, that is why I not only stayed with carpet in the back, but added throw rugs in front of the wardrobe and the entry area.  Cold feet are an issue when fulltiming, and arising on a cold winter morning.

Ken

I left the Factory carpeting in place and totally covered it with custom fitted indoor/outdoor carpeting.
Once or twice a year, it gets pulled and spread out on the driveway, for a good scrubbing. Best done on hot day.
Every few years, its replaced with a new, $50 piece of carpet, available at the local home center.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8

You could always try one of these, Ken:

https://www.facebook.com/JungleVT/videos/1263803383761501/
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
HiLola, that made me laugh.  I was picturing myself waking at 3 AM for one of my regular nighttime short excursions, getting my arms out of the sleeves to disconnect my CPAP mask, then getting the zipper undone - in time!  :-) 

Carpeting is simpler.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #10
"Carpeting is simpler."
----
And, slippers are even more so!   :D
2003 TK has a new home