Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic Refrigerator Wind Deflector Removal (Read 146 times) previous topic - next topic
Dometic Refrigerator Wind Deflector Removal
Can anybody help me remove this wind deflector?  The little one covering the ignored?  The big one was easy but I feel like I'm missing something here and am gonna break it...
1999 MB

Re: Domestic burner screen removal
Reply #1
Can anybody help me remove this wind deflector?  The little one covering the ignored?  The big one was easy but I feel like I'm missing something here and am gonna break it...
If all you want to do is access the jet or clean, bend the metal tab outward, along the cutout. It doesn't take much strength.
It will easily bend back after you finished.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Clean the tube and pull the igniter. ... I've seen others where this whole cover comes off easily,  exposing the whole burner area.  On my last dometic,  I pulled alot of rust/crud from that area as well,  in addition to the outside area with the tube and orifice.  This one just seems a little more "built in"....

Basically wanted to clean and inspect the burner tube as below...
1999 MB

Reply #3
Funny thing. I just did this to mine last week, for about the 3rd time in 18+ years. I removed the one screw holding in at the top left. Yours appears to have been removed. About a #6 3/8" phillips head. Luckily mine was moveable, but not loose, and moved about 1/16" to the right, and slid out toward me, and came out. Blew everything out with compressed air. Toothbrush and alcohol on the orifice, and igniter insulator. Then blew out again and re-assembled it. I haven't lit it off yet though.
   Yours may just be wedged in a little tighter by the cover on the boiler tube. HTH'd   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
That's what I was looking for.  I did remove the small top screw, it just really didn't want to shift in any direction to come out.  Ill try it again.

I know aside from maintenance cleaning,  I have igniter issues.  I don't get good clicking at gas ignition time,  and I've been cheating by running on electric for 5 min to heat up the flu,  then it seems like the gas will always ignite after its already hot...
1999 MB

Re: Dometic Refrigerator Wind Deflector Removal
Reply #5
I have removed mine a number of times now and it is always a wrestling match to get it loose. The first time or two I was scared I would break something. However, it just has a lip that needs to be worked with brute force. It’s all thin metal (tin?) and can be bent back into place fairly easily.

Good luck! Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon